BF mamas: forceful letdowns!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wildchihuahua

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I didn't have this issue with my first baby, other than the fact that my right boob produces almost twice the left. But this time, it has a forceful letdown. Conrad chokes, can't breathe for a few seconds, gets all red and pissed off, and then screams. Then he doesn't want to get latched back on even though he's still hungry. Which makes him even more mad. IF he gets back on, he pulls off again after about 5 seconds. I've looked on Kellymom.com and tried the positioning suggestions which are next to impossible for me. I read something about block feeding for oversupply, but since it's only on the one side, should I even try that? Ugh. I'm assuming Conrad will get used to it and more efficient as he grows, but I'm wondering how long that will take.

Is anyone dealing with this??

July 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I am but I have no idea why. I do not have an oversupply but madeline does exactly what your baby does when my milk lets down. She will eventually just give up and refuse to nurse. We arr going to see an occupational therapist on the 17th to see what is the problem. Lactation is not sure. We are also trying positioning with little success. I do know that football hold is the worst for this problem.

July 5th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlinmommy17 View Post
I do know that football hold is the worst for this problem.
Really? I thought I read to try that, but sort of make it so the baby is sitting up. But I end up all bent sideways and twisted and it's ridiculous. I've been trying to keep his head elevated, but I haven't seen any difference. I also have to burp him often because he's swallowing a ton of air, but I didn't think BF babies did. And they are HUGE burps! So between the gas bubbles and him choking he is not a happy baby for most feedings. *sigh* He's gaining well at least. He had his 1 month appt today and he's gained 2 pounds!

July 5th, 2013, 01:13 PM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have that too. I just pull her off as soon as I feel it start, let it go into the burp cloth, then put her back on once it stops spraying. And yes, lots of burping (or we get lots of spitting up). And if I'm REALLY over full, I'll pump for 2-3 min before nursing just to make it easier on her.
bribugg13 likes this.

July 5th, 2013, 02:03 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchihuahua View Post
I have that too. I just pull her off as soon as I feel it start, let it go into the burp cloth, then put her back on once it stops spraying. And yes, lots of burping (or we get lots of spitting up). And if I'm REALLY over full, I'll pump for 2-3 min before nursing just to make it easier on her.
This is what I did with Abri. For some reason I don't have this problem with Henry. You might try hand expressing a little first too
July 5th, 2013, 02:30 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
^^^what they said! Eventually you're supply will even out and it shouldn't be as bad. I've also been told to recline back when feeding and let gravity help.

July 5th, 2013, 02:54 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a forceful letdown, and no over supply. I alo unlatch him as soon as I feel it and relatch him once it's done.
July 5th, 2013, 03:46 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I'm having similar things happen. In fact it shoots like crazy. I'm looking into a manual pump to help so she doesn't get so mad.

July 5th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks, guys. I've been using a burp cloth to catch the spray, and it helps sometimes and other times he still chokes. I may try the hand expressing too.

July 6th, 2013, 06:26 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also read that feeding reclined helps because gravity is working against the let-down.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search