Bottle for BFing baby?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2013, 08:39 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been BFing and plan to continue, but I need Lena to be able to take a bottle for when I go back to work and in case I need to leave her for some reason. We have Tommee Tippee bottles with the slowest flow nipples from Anna. She loved them and they were all we used with her, but I tried one with Lena today and it didn't go so well. I think her suck is too strong since she is used to nursing (where Anna was all bottles since I EPed). She clearly got too much milk with each suck and milk was everywhere. Does anyone have any tips for bottles that work better for breast fed babies?

July 6th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You could try those new bottles that Medela just released; I think it's called Calma.. I'm not sure where you can get them.

#1, 4, 5, 7
July 6th, 2013, 08:53 AM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have Dr. Brown's and Porter has taken a pumped bottle twice from my husband. I wanted to try it before we got to a point where he may not take one and I would let him do it more, but I don't get very much when I pump, so there isn't much to give him! But, he seemed to like it. He took it right away with no problem. I'm wondering if it's because the nipple on the bottles is very similar to the nipple on the paci we've given him. (One of those soothie ones with the hole in the middle.) Obviously I haven't tried any others and I'd heard good things about the ones you already have, but I don't really have any advice except that he seems to like the Dr Browns ones! Hope you can find one she likes!
July 6th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2LillieAidan View Post
You could try those new bottles that Medela just released; I think it's called Calma.. I'm not sure where you can get them.
ETA: these bottles are supposed to mimic BFing more closely than any other bottles on the market, which includes baby having to suckle like they do at the breast. Also, Babies R Us carries them.

#1, 4, 5, 7
July 6th, 2013, 11:48 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm in the same boat as you. We had leftover Tommee Tippees from Kiefer and Mac hated them. She drinks from the Playtex Nursers (the drop in kind) with the slow flow nipple no problem.

July 6th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have tommee tippees and they didn't work for Corbin. We have the Calma nipples and they are awesome. He has to suck to get any milk and it comes at his flow. It took some practice learning how to feed him though. If they suck hard enough they can fill up the nipple without swallowing. So we let him suck and then slowly slide the nipple back and he swallows like he would if he were nursing. I let my MIL feed him and she ended up spilling my precious breastmilk all over the place because she didn't let him swallow. Then ended up blaming the nipple and said we need new ones.

I'm guessing that other babies may not have this issue as Corbin is still learning the whole suck/swallow/breathe deal. The bottle did teach him how to suck properly though although he only transfers this over to breast less than 50% of the time since his latch onto me is still pretty weak.

Anyway I highly recommend them but they are expensive. The 5oz bottle with one nipple is $16.99 at buybuybaby, just one nipple is $14.99 and the 8oz bottle with two bottles but one nipple is $19.99 (we bought one of these sets to store my pumped milk in. It is also in 3 parts so washing one every feed is really hard. We currently have 3 and this makes it easier.
July 6th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We use Similac - hard to find in stores. Looks like they may be discontinued soon. Ellianna loves them though.

July 6th, 2013, 03:22 PM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
I pumped and gave Gracelyn a bottle for the first time last night and she didn't have any issues at all with it. It was a MAM brand.

July 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Little man both BFs and takes a bottle and we use the Playtex VentAire Wide(not standard) with a slow flow nipple.

July 7th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
So far I've only tried the Medela little one that came with my manual pump. It goes to fast for him so I've only tried twice for now.

July 7th, 2013, 08:43 AM
The bottle we actually use are the Nuk bottles. We got the newborn set and he does great with them.

#1, 4, 5, 7

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search