Cloth diapering chit chat

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gen88
  • 1 Post By Karen78
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies, I've been MIA for a couple of days, Ariana is a diva and very demanding, Lol. How's everyone doing? How was your 4th of July? Ours was ok. I attempted to have fun but that was a fail since Ariana just wants to be held all the time these days lol. Anyway, breast feeding has been going great, tomorrow makes 6 weeks. Woot woot! Baby Ariana poops so much which is normal since she's a breast fed baby, I really wanna try out cloth diapering because we go thru so many diapers, so I'm in need of lots of advice, suggestions on what I need cuz I have no idea and what brands I should look for! If u got any cute pics of the babies which i know you do, please post here

HERE'S A CUTE PIC OF ARIANA AND I MATCHING ON 4th OF JULY

PRETTY IN PINK

Xoxo Gen...
4hearts likes this.

Last edited by Gen88; July 7th, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
July 7th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
She is so cute!! Gah!! I'm using prefolds and covers right now. One-sized diapers are just too big still. I would recommend GMD (green mountain diapers) prefolds. I'm using the newborn size right now but Conrad is about to grow out of them so I'll have to start using the small size. Thirsties is a good brand of covers. I love them! I think prefolds really are your best bet for right now. They are the most cost effective, and when folded right they hold in the messiest poops! You'll need 2-3 dozen depending on how often you want to wash. Good luck!

I don't have pictures of him in cloth diapers on photobucket right now. I need to upload some!
p.s. We have the same swing you have
4hearts likes this.

Last edited by Karen78; July 7th, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
July 7th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Rochelle
Y'all both look great!

I'm going to start CDing in about a week. I'll do GMD prefolds and covers for the duration of her diapering. We've never tried an all-in-one before but they look nifty.
July 7th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're using prefolds or flats with Rowan and prefolds or pockets with Alex. I have 1 AIO newborn diaper for Rowan and 2 pocket diapers that will fit him, the rest of the pockets are juuuuust a little bit too big.

For Alex we use the prefolds for around the house or if we're going to be squatting in one place for a long time. We use the pockets for out and about due to super ease of use. The trifolded prefolds are not a big deal out and about but every second with a squealing wiggling toddler is an eternity.

I thought about buying GMD newborn prefolds because they're smaller than the Osocozy infant prefolds I have but I measured them and realized if I cut off a few inches on the infant (size1) prefold I can get it to be the same size as the GMD. They work beautifully. If your baby is 8lbs or pretty near it I wouldn't bother getting any newborn diapers. Rowan just hit 7lbs so he'll be in newborn stuff for a bit. That said, the Thirsties size 1 cover just barely fits him. It contains all the pee and poo very well but it just looks super goofy on him, lol. I don't mind it, though.

I have discovered that now that i have 2 kids in cloth I'm doing cloth laundry every other day instead of every 2-3. Not so bad. Keeps the stinks down.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 7th, 2013, 01:28 PM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
We're using all in ones and pockets, but I've been getting more pockets because they dry faster and are just as easy.
July 7th, 2013, 01:32 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I just started using my cloth diapers again. We're using infant sized prefolds, which are still a little big because Henry is a peanut. Not a big deal, I just fold it down some in the back and make sure it's all tucked in the cover. I use the jelly roll fold with a Snappi. It keeps the poo contained. I have a few Thirsties size 1 covers, but I prefer Bummis Super Brites. It's a similar design to the Thirsties with the gussets but I think they hold up better over time. I'm also using some Osocozy fitted diapers (also need a cover). They are quicker to put on than a prefold, so it's good for middle of the night or out and about diaper changes. Henry is still too little for our pocket diapers
July 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am using the same set of GMD prefolds and assorted random covers that I had with M. G is a big guy (9.5-10 lbs currently) and some of the newborn prefolds already don't fit, I have a dozen organic ones that run smaller, but the white ones fit perfectly right now. I use some ikea flats and Imagine (Nicki's Diapers) flats as back ups. We do a jellyroll with a snappi for G. M is still in diapers too and we use trifolded medium (red edge) GMD prefolds in Flip covers for her. She used to have a more extensive stash with AIOs and nighttime pockets, but I streamlined, she wears sposies at night now and we stick with the prefolds the rest of the time. I love how easy laundry is with prefolds, especially sorting/putting away. No stuffing or snapping pieces together or dealing with all these different types of diapers. Just stack em up And Flip covers have flaps to hold the prefold or insert in place, we also have all velcro/aplix rather than snaps, so it is pretty easy to slap one on her. Her preschool uses them too and said they love those old fashioned cotton diapers because kids who wear them tend to potty train easier
Karen78 likes this.

July 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use Softbums and LOVE them! They fit Lena right away shrunk down and I even tried them on Anna (she has been potty trained for a year and a half) just to see how they fit and they did. I use the bamboo pods. We have a few microfiber, but prefer the bamboo. They are trimmer and more absorbent. The shells will fit from birth through potty training bc of adjustable elastic in the legs. They have two systems- an AI2 (Echo) and a hybrid pocket/AI2 (Omni). We prefer the Echos. Down side is not a lot of cute options for the shells. More info about them at Softbums.com. I buy from sweetbottomsbaby.com for free shipping.

July 8th, 2013, 02:44 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I just got the ok to have diapers up over Jocelyn's scar so I need to get a bunch of diapers. I don't need to worry about poop since she has a colostomy but she leaks urine non stop so she's constantly wet. I need to find something that will keep her dry. I don't want to get newborn diapers since she'll grow out of them but she won't fit in one size yet. I might try prefolds with a layer of micro fleece and see if that works. I didn't think we'd have a chance to use cloth so I gave away everything I had. It's going to be fun starting over though.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 9th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I use prefolds & covers. I have GMD from greenmountaindiapers.com & imagine prefolds from nickisdiapers.com i like them both but the nb(size xs) prefolds are thicker from gmd but once you get to size small they are the same thickness & nickis are less expensive. I have thirsties xs covers, prowrap & bummis nb covers
. I LOVE the bummis the thirsties are good too but run bigger so for right now bummis. For the $$ the prowrap do a very good job at keeping in poop but are not cute.
I also really love the ease of bumgenius AIO xs for the nb stage, they are most like a disposible and very trim. They do not take that long to dry either. I think that if I only had 1 baby I would have done the AIO bc they are no fuss. I tried grovia AIO and disliked then bc the seams were hard & left marks all over baby. I have used pockets my mom made me too but I HATE stuffing them.
I think for when the babies grow out of nb I will do prefolds& covers bc the laundry aspect is no fuss and pockets for daycare & dh.
If I could afford to I would do an AI2 system but it is too pricey for me & I already have a bunch of larger covers.
Try to steer clear of microfiber inserts if
you can...they hold in stink in

July 9th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Did you see my post about a company called Blissful Booty? They're selling pockets and AIOs for $6.50, 7-35+lbs.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search