Moms who pump...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
- How often do you pump?
- How much is baby eating at each feeding? How old is baby?
- Do you supplement? How much?

I can't seem to get on a schedule where I have pumped before Eli eats every time. I'm still supplementing which I am okay with, but I would be doing better if I could get on a better pumping schedule.

Eli is 17 days old. I'm getting between 1.5 - 2.5 oz total when I pump. He usually eats at least 3 oz every 2-3 hrs. So I supplement the difference. I'm taking fenugreek and I use the medela freestyle. Is 3oz a normal amount for him to eat at 17 days?

I need some advice. **If you are wondering why I am pumping instead of letting him latch on, it's just what works best for us as a family.

I would LOVE to be able to pump enough to feed Eli and store some. It just doesn't seem to be in the cards for me to even be able to feed him without supplementing. What's wrong with my body?
July 8th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Right now zack is 10 days old and eats every 3-4 hours. He nurses on one side so after he eats I pump the other side. Ill get anywhere from 1-2 oz and once got 3 oz. I'd say he eats about 2-2 1/2 oz a feeding right now and we are EBF so only the boob milk.

July 8th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just returned to work so I am pumping and nursing. Elli does not eat the same amount each feeding. Generally though she is 3 to 3 1/2 ounces every 2-3 1/2 hours. If I am really good, I can pump 4-5 ounces (total from both breasts) every 3 hours.

July 8th, 2013, 09:30 AM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish trey was on a schedule. I feed on demand and he's hitting growth spurt so he's eating about every hour if not every 45min. When I'm able to pump, I pump anywhere from 1.25-2oz combined from both breasts. I need to buy some fenugreek and try that.

Also according to docs, trey can eat about 1.25oz in 10-15min and about 3-4oz in 30-40 minutes.

July 8th, 2013, 09:56 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
That sounds like a good amount each time. I would look into power pumping. I can't remember exactly what it entails but it's suppose to help. I hope you can get where you want to be with pumping. Hang in there.

July 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think anything is wrong with you. We are giving Lena 1 bottle a day to get her used to it for when I go back to work. That is a 3 oz bottle. I nurse for all of her other feedings. I am trying to pump 4-5 times a day on top of that, but so far today, I have only been able to do once. I get a total of 2.5-3 oz per pump, more first thing in the morning.

I EPed with Anna and the lactation consultant told me it was uncommon to be able to pump all of the milk your baby needs w/o having to supplement. The LC I saw this time told me the same thing. I was able to do it without supplementing. I pumped 10x per day for the first 3 months, including at night, for 20 mins each time. After that, I quit at night, but still got a minimum of 8x in each day and tried to get 9. The key to getting a lot pumping is doing it religiously. Also, make sure you're drinking enough water and taking in enough calories. It doesn't matter if your pumping schedule is in sync with his eating schedule. Stick to a pumping schedule and put it in the fridge until he needs it, then warm it in a bottle warmer.

As for supply, Overlinmommy posted a thread about things she did that worked to increase her supply. Check that out. I think the thread is called, "It worked."
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search