BF in public?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree29Likes
  • 3 Post By navywifey2003
  • 2 Post By navywifey2003
  • 3 Post By Kim3
  • 2 Post By beatlechicksteph
  • 3 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 2 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 3 Post By SassySami
  • 5 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 4 Post By sunnydaze
  • 1 Post By bribugg13

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Do you???? How do you do it...seems hard when I try. We have trouble getting a good latch etc under the cover. I gotta live so I need advice!

July 8th, 2013, 02:07 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I layer clothing. So I wear a thin tank and my shirt over it. Shirt goes up pull tank down she's latched and nothing can be seen. I have a cover I use sometimes and others I crank up the air in the car and nurse her if we haven't left the car yet. I also usually try to give her a good feed before we leave. Once you find the method that works the best for you and baby it's easy peasy.

July 8th, 2013, 02:16 PM
May 2013 Cohost
How do you pull the tank down? Just stretch it? Or do you actually take your arm out of the arm hole?
July 8th, 2013, 02:41 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Just stretch it. I usually wear one that's slightly loose fitting.
bribugg13 and overlinmommy17 like this.

July 8th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do. I try to be as descreet as possible but refuse to nurse in the bathroom (I don't eat in one and neither will my baby

I caryr loads of muslin blankets. I try to wear a sports bra so it is flexible to pull down. I like tanks as well. I actually take the strap down so my shoulder is exposed. Sometimes I wear a top with a large neck and tank underneath. I try to pull down to let her nurse. Usually she can latch quickly and then I throw a blanket on my shoulder. I also try to find the most discreet place as possible. If at a swim meet - go to the most remote location or back table. At church I go to the baby room *(which is often empty). If someone really looks they will catch a glimpse - at that point I don't care This is the third time I am breastfeeding. This is the reason I have breasts. I try to not show everything ,but just don't care enough to get embarrassed anymore. If someone tries that hard to look and then get offended - it is their problem.

Last edited by Kim3; July 8th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
July 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do, I wear a nursing tank, so I just lift my shirt and unhook and pull it down, latch on baby and throw a blanket over us both. I have a cover, but I've found that the blanket technique is easiest for us. Usually I try and feed him before we go anywhere, and try and time our errands before the next feeding. But when my parents were here, or when people visit, I have to feed him and that's how I do it. I refuse to be segregated because my baby needs to eat.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
July 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I don't like covers at this stage because it's still tricky getting him latched while fighting with a cover. I wear a nursing tank a lot of the time and try to find a spot that is out of the way. Dressing rooms at the mall are convenient but I don't always feel the need to hide. If someone sees part of my boob then oh well.
bribugg13, overlinmommy17 and Kim3 like this.
July 8th, 2013, 06:58 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I have, it's something that needs to be more common, IMO. I never used a blanket or cover as they seem to call more attention to what you are doing "under there" than just carefully moving your shirt out of the way. With my first nursling I practiced a few times in front of a mirror, and also it helps to ask DH or somebody handy if they can "see anything".

And yes.. it really does get easier as baby gets a little older and better at latching.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 8th, 2013, 08:14 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Yep we nurse in public. No cover. I wear a nursing bra, nursing tank and a shirt.
bribugg13, overlinmommy17 and Kim3 like this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

July 9th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep! All my clothes are nursing friendly that is a must. It is easiest for me with 2 to nurse in a changing room so I can nurse both at the same time but if just one needs to eat I hold them in the position slide my top over pull down nursing tank/bra and latch. If I'm 'on display' like walking through target shopping(did this last week) then I just hook a light blanket to my strap and cover my baby but really I don't care bc a chick not too far from me is bound to have her boobies all out for no good reason so I hope the attention to be diverted gotta love summer lol!
Anyway I do 2nd the motion of feeding right before you leave to go anywhere makes life easier

July 9th, 2013, 05:35 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tend to cover until i get himlatched, but it is hotter than the surface of the sun right now. I will not give my baby heat stroke. Most swimsuits are more revealing than NIP.

Funny sory, we were at Souper Salad (salad bar resturant) the other day and i was nursing Bodhi at the table (i do use a blanket at the table) Chris asked if i was going to feed Bodhi. I told him i was feeding him, offensive isnt it. My own husband didnt know i was nursing, so i doubt anyone else noticed.
bribugg13 likes this.
July 9th, 2013, 06:13 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
^^^ what they all said! LOL We try to feed before we leave the house, I wear a light stretchy tank (from costco, love their tanks) under a shirt or tank. I lucked out with her because as soon as she hits the car seat, she's out like a light so I haven't had to NIP with her yet, but the time is coming I'm sure...we also haven't gone far in the last couple of weeks either. But I nursed Connor in public ALL the time. DH was freaked out about it at first but he got over it quickly and soon realized that it was NBD. If you're having latch issues or are uncomfortable at first, I would nurse in the car before going into a store sometimes, or just find a quiet corner in the back of the store and sit on the floor - btdt as well! lol It does get easier though!

LMAO at "but really I don't care bc a chick not too far from me is bound to have her boobies all out for no good reason so I hope the attention to be diverted" that's so true!!!!!

July 9th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes I nurse in public. At the table or near food products I will use a light muslin blanket to keep her covered. In an area with a lot of children, I will keep it covered. Other than that....it's a boob...it makes milk...get over it.
zkat, TeresaV, bribugg13 and 1 others like this.

July 9th, 2013, 08:59 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawmommy View Post
If I'm 'on display' like walking through target shopping(did this last week) then I just hook a light blanket to my strap and cover my baby but really I don't care bc a chick not too far from me is bound to have her boobies all out for no good reason so I hope the attention to be diverted
This has been me. I have made 3 trips to the mall in the last week (two with my mom and one with MIL) and, even though I fed her right before going each time, Lena ended up hungry there. I had on normal shirts with nursing bras under. I really should start wearing the nursing tanks under... I threw a blanket over me and her, pulled my shirt up, undid the bra, and walked around the mall. Part of my back and a bit of my stomach were exposed, although I tried to cover it with the blanket. I do my best, but if I had to stop to nurse her every time, we would never have gotten out of the mall. I make very sure that no boob slips out, but other than that, I do what I have to do. I don't feel like there's anything wrong with it as long as you're not exposing yourself to anyone.

July 9th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wear nursing tanks and bras. With two ones bound to want to eat no matter where I go. I've found that whenever I'm out they tend to be more needy and want to nurse. Maybe it's the unfamiliar surroundings. I feel more comfortable with it without the nursing bra as well but some tanks just don't offer enough support although Target has a brand that is stretchy and supportive so if I wear those then I don't feel like I need a bra as well unless I'm going to be doing some sort of activity with a lot of movement.

I usually wear a cover. I like my tommee tippee one it is very large so I can have a lot of room to get them latched on and if I am nursing both then it covers both. The downside is that it is very thick and can get hot. Esp outside. I actually had to move the stroller fan to blow under the cover at my SS t-ball game. If we hadn't been at a ball park with hundreds of kids there then I prob wouldn't have used one but I'm a teacher and my SS is on the same team as two of my students so I didn't see that going over very well.
July 9th, 2013, 10:11 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
You could also try a carrier to nurse in, although I never mastered nursing in my Ergo, I've heard it's much easier to nurse in a sling or wrap. I've got a new ring sling on the way this week and I can't wait to start wearing her in it and to figure out nursing in it, will make it so much easier sometimes and with the ring slings there's the "tail" that you can drape over for added privacy as well. There's a TON of you tube videos on how to nurse in all the different types of carriers also!
zkat likes this.

July 9th, 2013, 10:26 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tend to nurse in the car before we go in somewhere if it's close to feeding time, although I also try to feed before we even leave the house. I also find that one of the big 40 x 40 muslin blankets is perfect to cover me and baby without making her sweat up a storm. I'm pretty modest so I'm not one to whip it out in public. I envy those who can. If I see someone else do it I have no problem with it at all...I just can't do it for some reason.

July 9th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do try to feed him before we leave the house - once he's in the car seat and we're moving around, he'll sleep for a couple of hours. If I do have to nurse while we're out, it depends on the situation. Right now it's stupidly hot here (actually the heat's not so bad, it's the humidity making us all sweaty and gross) so if I don't absolutely have to cover up, I'm not going to. I haven't come across a situation yet where I've felt the need to cover up - maybe if we went out to eat and I had to feed him at the table, but that's about it. I don't typically layer tanks underneath shirts because - again - it's just too hot. Most days I just wear a stretchy v-neck tank top (Old Navy, $5) and just pull it down. As long as you don't make a big show of it, I don't think anyone really cares. Besides, in Ontario women can legally go topless anyways, so even if someone was offended by my breastfeeding in public, there's nothing they can do about it.

July 9th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I nursed Alex in public all the time. I've only nursed Rowan once in public. It did not go well. First we had the usual problem with eating but then on top of that he HATED the cover. I opted for the cover because of the latching difficulties and such and I didn't feel comfortable keeping my nipple exposed for a long time while convincing him to latch. Until we get this issue resolved I will not be nursing him in public again. But once we do, I will do what I did before: stretchy undershirt/nursing bra with regular shirt over it all. POP! Easy.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search