Putting down baby before asleep?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes
  • 4 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By Joanne Nicole
  • 3 Post By Karen78
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 2 Post By MerinSun
  • 2 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 6 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By ashleykathleen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2013, 11:16 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been reading up on good sleep habits and everything says that we should be putting Anna down before she's fully asleep, but there's no way she'd ever go to sleep this way. Is everyone else doing this and I'm just making things harder for myself later? Or is it hard for most babies to go to sleep without being held?

July 9th, 2013, 11:23 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My kids could never be put down awake until they were a few months old. My kids sleep fine now too. Honestly I don't think we need to teach our kids to sleep they will learn as they grow.

July 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto - Finn will not fall asleep on his own right now. I nurse him to sleep and then put him in his crib. If I put him down while he's still awake, he'll scream himself into a frenzy and it'll be an hour before he calms down enough to sleep.

I do have a nighttime routine though. I think I'm instilling good bedtime habits, because he definitely sleeps better if we follow the routine. During the day he'll nap for an hour or two, but at night after the bedtime routine he'll sleep for 5-6 hours before waking up, and then for another 4-5 hours after that.

Usually I try to get him to take a nap right around the time that I make dinner - making and eating dinner with a baby in my arms sucks. He usually wakes up from his nap just as we're finishing eating. If he doesn't wake up on his own, I wake him up. This is at about 6 pm. We spend some family time together, watching a little tv, playing card games with DD, or going for a walk. At about 7:30 it's bath time. Both of my kids love baths, so we have one every night. We bathe them together because it's more fun that way and saves water. DD loves pouring cups of water on Finn's tummy and legs, and we all get a little more family time that way. After the bath, DH takes DD and gets her ready for bed and reads to her while I put Finn to bed. I put lotion on him (he has dry skin) and then put him in just a diaper and his swaddle-me blanket. Pull down the shade and turn off the light and feed him in the twilight-y dark. After a few minutes of frenzied sucking, he calms down and sleepy-sucks for 45-60 minutes. By the time he falls off the boob, he's dead asleep. That's usually by 9 pm. Most nights he'll sleep until about 2 am, occasionally he'll sleep the entire night.

He's one month old now, and we've been following this routine for the last 3 weeks. It's what works best for us. You have to find what works best for you.
eshute likes this.

July 9th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I've read that too, but I really don't think it applies to newborns. No habits are being set right now. Newborns don't know how to put themselves to sleep. You go right ahead and hold Anna as much as you want!

July 9th, 2013, 12:45 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still hold and nurse Tristan to sleep. I could not stand to listen to him cry and scream himself into a frenzy at this point. With DD I transitioned her into the crib by 6 months and at that age it took her about 2 days to get used to sleeping on her own and that was it. But I would still goblin there and read to her then rock her to sleep and then lay her down.
eshute likes this.

July 9th, 2013, 12:56 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 2.5 year old can put himself to sleep. He slept with us until he was 19 months old, which meant one of us was in the bed withhim until he fell asleep. Until he was almost a year, he was nursed/rocked to sleep.
July 9th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a book called Touchpoints and I love this guy's advice. He also recommends putting then down to sleep before they're asleep....when they're older. Right now they're too young. The first 3 months are about establishing trust and loving bonds. The sleep training can come later. It's best to think of the first 3 months as the 4th trimester. Much of how he recommend you sleep train a baby is what I already felt comfortable with and had planned on doing with Alex. It worked very well for us.
eshute and MamaSkunk like this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 9th, 2013, 01:40 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm not good at putting my kids down before they're asleep. Lily was able to do it when she was a few months old, but Abri had to be nursed or rocked to sleep until she was about a year old. I just really enjoy snuggling Henry so I hold him for his afternoon nap and he prefers to be holding my arm at night
ashleykathleen and eshute like this.
July 9th, 2013, 01:53 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
at this point really no
there are times where shes fussy as all hell and i'll put her in her bouncy or swing and she will fall asleep on her own but for the most part shes asleep in my arms before shes put down to bed

July 9th, 2013, 02:51 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'd be happy enough if the 3yo would sleep through the night.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 10th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Okay so we're totally normal. Man, reading some of the stuff online can really make a person feel like they're doing everything wrong. I've started a routine of bathing, singing, bottle, bed just in the last week and she seems to be doing well with it. She loves her bath and her lotion massage afterwards.

Thanks ladies!

July 10th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran
I always put Logan down after I feed/change/burp and cuddle him for a bit, whether he is awake or dozing off because I want him to get used to being able to go to sleep on his own without me holding him all the time. I need to get things done and I need sleep too lol of course when he cries I do pick him up, I don't believe in crying it out I don't know how common it is for babies to not wanna sleep without being held but I just try to get him to be able to lay on his own so I can do whatever it is I need to do/sleep.
July 10th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh yeah, starting a routine now is perfect. Just go through the motions. Even put the kid in the crib and go to the potty or take a shower. You can always take them out again to snuggle with.
eshute likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 10th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Oh Anna does great sometimes just laying in her bassinet and she loves just laying on her changing table (it has sides and everything, so she can't roll off or get hurt in any way). If she's content, I'll let her lay on the changing table for as long as she wants to and the same as the bassinet. She'll usually go for 10-15 minutes which is enough time for me to take the dog out and go to the bathroom or get a cup of coffee - even make something real quick to eat sometimes. I just wasn't sure if it was really critical to try to get her to go to sleep on her own in the bassinet because that's simply not going to happen right now. Haha.

July 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't usually worry about this until 3-4 months old. Jaleigh had no problem doing this. Kiefer, on the other hand, couldn't go to sleep on his own until he was almost 2. He still doesn't always sleep through the night either. I have treated bedtime the exact same for both kids. I believe in sleep training to a certain extent but I also believe that every child is different and some kids just aren't good sleepers, much like some adults.
eshute likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search