Didn't expect

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2013, 11:17 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Did something happen during delivery that you didn't know would happen? Or were things how you expected them?

July 10th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It went almost 100% how I expected.. I couldn't be happier about how my delivery went.

ETA: although I didn't expect it to go so fast.

#1, 4, 5, 7
July 10th, 2013, 12:01 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I didn't expect it to happen at 39 weeks. I did sort of expect a quick labor, but active labor (where contractions made me stop and really have to breathe through them) was only an hour. I was in total denial that it was actually happening until then.
July 10th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nothing like I expected. After being in labour for nearly 3 days with Fiona, the last thing I expected was to have this labour be 2 and a half hours from the first contraction, to the time he was born.

I definitely wasn't expecting a 9 lb, 11 oz baby. My midwife had guessed that he would be about the same size as Fiona was at birth (7 lbs, 15 oz) maybe even a little smaller.

I wasn't expecting a 4 day long hospital stay - with the midwives, when you have a normal vaginal delivery with no complications, they discharge you 2-4 hours after the birth. Because Finn was so big, the hospital wanted to monitor his blood sugar for 24 hours. In those 24 hours, several other health concerns popped up. Thankfully they all resolved themselves, but I certainly wasn't expecting to have any of that happen!

July 10th, 2013, 01:14 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't expect for it to be so fast and intense. And I didn't expect to stall out at 9 cm and be in so much pain that I willingly took pain medication.

July 10th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't expect the epi to fail and to choose to have a C-section.
July 10th, 2013, 03:21 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I did not expect to have retained placenta and loose tons of blood and have a blood transfusion... it was all terrible.

July 10th, 2013, 05:00 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't expect to spend 45 minutes getting stitched up.

July 10th, 2013, 06:06 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't expect to end up having an emergency c-section after 18 hours of being on pitocin and i didn't expect to be sobbing through the whole thing because I was so worried about him. I also didn't think I would end up having to be induced because I had gone over my due date. I really thought he would come early. I guess he knew he couldn't fit through my pelvis to get out, so he was just hanging out in there until we got him out!
July 10th, 2013, 10:27 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
I didn't expect that neither the epidural or spinal would numb me and I'd have to be put under general anesthesia for my c-section, thereby missing my baby's birth.

July 10th, 2013, 11:52 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't expect my labor to be so fast. I also didn't expect the OR to be ready to do my tubal 30 minutes after giving birth. I really thought I would have to stay another night in order to get it done before going home.

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased with how the whole delivery and recovery happened.

July 11th, 2013, 12:17 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't expect to hemmorhage. That was scary.

July 11th, 2013, 01:00 AM
PregnantAtLast's Avatar Loving my baby boy
i didnt expect to deliver on my sisters bathroom floor by my mum!!!!

im so glad now that i did though!

July 11th, 2013, 03:42 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did not expect for her shoulders to get stuck. When the nurse climbed on top of me to do the maneuver to get her out, I was pretty surprised.

July 11th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't expect getting the spinal to take 9 shots and 45 minutes.

I didn't expect the recovery of getting my tubes tied to be so much harder from a regular c section.

I didn't expect I would still be bleeding this heavily 3 weeks later.

July 11th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Rochelle
I didn't expect to have a girl. I didn't expect for things to go as smoothly as they did. I didn't expect to have a reaction to an antibiotic they gave me during surgery.
July 11th, 2013, 07:48 AM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't expect my nurse and Dr to turn my delivery into a wrestling match....trey's shoulder was stuck and the nurse pushed dh out of the way and got on top of me while my Dr screams "keep pushing" and twists my son out like a cork on wine bottle

July 11th, 2013, 09:56 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Huge hugs to all the ladies with complications! You are all rock stars!

I didnt expect to deliver unassisted but I am really glad we had the opportunity to.

July 11th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A lot of it went pretty much in the realm of what I had anticipated. However, I had never even heard of anybody having an SPD/pubic bone injury due to pushing the baby out. Definitely was not expecting that. And the pain from that was way worse than anything ever. I literally did not even notice any pain from him crowning or going through my perineum compared to the pubic bone pain. And still using a walker a week and a half later... did not expect that I am getting really sick of being bedridden and stuck on my back, I can't even lie on my side yet without tweaking it. I am going to seek out a specialized physical therapist soon.

July 11th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Super Mommy
I didn't expect to see my little girl turn blue during our first nursing session. Scariest thing I have ever seen. I also didn't expect to have a 5 day NICU baby. Having a 9lb 12oz baby was also a huge surprise (DD#1 was 7lbs 1oz). We had a lot of surprise experiences during the first week. I'm so glad it is all over!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search