Feeling very discouraged

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
My milk supply is CRAP! And I just want to quit! But I won't. Leif weighed 7lb12oz first pediatrician visit. One week later, he lost weight 7lb9oz. I was told to supplement and to see a LC, which I've done. He had gained weight now but he's been supplementing. And I don't see a difference in supply. I nurse or pump every 1.5hrs during day and nurse every 3jrs at night. I'm taking fenugreek, 3caps 3/day and alfalfa 2tabs 4/day. I've even tried a supplement nutrition system without improvement. I'm drinking tons of water, 96oz per day. Eating a 2000cal diet with tons of protein. I'm worn out, exhausted, and discouraged. Just don't know what else to do.
July 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm in the same boat. I pump every 2 hours and am lucky to get 1.5 oz total. I'm taking fenugreek and alfalfa too. I've ordered mother' s milk tea so I'm hoping it works. I would love to be able to pump enough to stop supplementing. I'm eating all the time. I stay hungry. And I'm trying to drink plenty of water.

How much can you pump?
July 12th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I'm pumping only an ounce, maybe an ounce and half. Ugh! But that's usually 30-60 min after breast feeding.
July 12th, 2013, 03:15 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry!!

July 12th, 2013, 11:06 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh hugs to you both. I know exactly how you feel. I've been doing everything extra this time also to try and keep my supply up. Its hard. Just remember even if you have to supplement you are still giving your babies what breast milk you can. I am EPing now (little man would latch and nurse for anhour and act llike he was still starving and if I pumped afterwards I noticed he was only getting maybe a half ounce after an hour of nursing so after some looking into it I found not only does Tristan have my nipple issue to overcome but he has a lip tie as well.) But anyway I get maybe 3 oz every 2 hours and my first pumping of the morning as I don't pump between 1 am and 8 am...I just can't bring myself to do it. I get around 6 ounces. Little guy is currently going thru a growth spurt and I am trying very hard to get my supply to increase right now but even before that I was having to supplement around 4 to 6 ounces a day. Don't feel bad though. Something is better than nothing!

July 13th, 2013, 02:34 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
You ladies are all doing great although I'm sure it doesn't feel like it, please no not beat yourself up. If you can take some time for a nursing vacation. Relax skin to skin with your baby and nurse nurse nurse. Unfortunately with pumping some women just do not respond to it like others might. I was reading that making sure your pump speed is set to maximum which is more like a baby sucking vigorously is important because a lower setting is more like a baby falling asleep. Lots of water, at least 2000 calories a day (breastfeeding is said to burn 500 a day), oatmeal, brewers yeast, dark beer, and always offering the breast even if you just fed the baby five minutes ago should help. No matter how much breastmilk they get some is better than none but most importantly they are being fed no matter what. And no matter what you all are amazing moms.
Karen78, Steph625 and MamaSkunk like this.

July 13th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Also remember that a pump will not get as much as your baby will. I know for us Zack eats every 3 hours and only on one side so I pump the other side. Sometimes I get 1 oz sometimes (mostly in the am) I get 2 oz. But when he's on he nurses for anywhere between 20-30 minutes and seems content afterwards. Just take it each feeding at a time. Have you looked into Lactation Cookies?

July 13th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, the pump is no where near as efficient as your nursling. When I had Alex I would pump until I got that flat empty feeling (I could waggle my breast around like a bean bag). Nothing would come out with the pump. A few times after I'd pump (when Alex usually slept) he'd wake up and demand to be fed. I'd put him on the boob. Within a minute or two I would get another letdown. Amazing!

Pumping mamas: Are you using a pumping bra or rigging a setup with hair ties and your bras? This can be very helpful while double pumping because it allows you to relax, do breast compressions/massage or to just zone out and read for a bit (or fall asleep even! I did this at work constantly. I put my stuff on the desk, rested my head in my arms on the desk, bra/boobs pointed to the floor and fell asleep until my alarm went off). When you're relaxed you will pump more.

I've had a few frustrated crying jags/freak outs and whenever I pumped shortly after (or even during) I would get basically nothing.

Amy, what pump are you using?

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 13th, 2013, 10:17 AM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made lactation cookies last night and I swear there is a difference in how full my breasts are today. And when I pumped this morning after his morning feeding (he ate on one side, but I pumped both) I got an ounce off each! Yesterday I got an ounce total off of both, so that is an improvement! And, the cookies are good too! We had to go on a search yesterday for brewer's yeast, but finally found it at The Vitamin Shop (like GNC). This is the recipe I used...

Lactation Cookies Recipe - A DELICIOUS Lactation Cookies Recipe - Boost Breastmilk Supply!

I substituted coconut oil for butter and coconut flour for regular flour, so they are more coconut tasting, but are yummy!!

Porter was 7 lbs 11 oz when he was born & dropped down to 7 pounds when we left the hospital. Two days later he was 7 lbs 4 oz at the pediatrician, but 10 days later was only 7 lbs 7 oz. we have another appointment on Tuesday and really need to be at or past birth weight! I'm feeding him as much as I can between now & then and hoping he will be a fat baby on Tuesday!
July 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
Yes, the pump is no where near as efficient as your nursling. When I had Alex I would pump until I got that flat empty feeling (I could waggle my breast around like a bean bag). Nothing would come out with the pump. A few times after I'd pump (when Alex usually slept) he'd wake up and demand to be fed. I'd put him on the boob. Within a minute or two I would get another letdown. Amazing!

Pumping mamas: Are you using a pumping bra or rigging a setup with hair ties and your bras? This can be very helpful while double pumping because it allows you to relax, do breast compressions/massage or to just zone out and read for a bit (or fall asleep even! I did this at work constantly. I put my stuff on the desk, rested my head in my arms on the desk, bra/boobs pointed to the floor and fell asleep until my alarm went off). When you're relaxed you will pump more.

I've had a few frustrated crying jags/freak outs and whenever I pumped shortly after (or even during) I would get basically nothing.

Amy, what pump are you using?
medela freestyle.
And I have cut holes in my bra to make it hands free I'm always relaxed.
July 13th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Lurking, saw this on home page. My milk supple dwindled a lot if I did any exercise. Even if we went for a quick hike or trip to the zoo. I have to rest All.the.TIME! Also ate oatmeal every day. Good luck!

July 15th, 2013, 07:58 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Have your prolactin levels been checked? How much milk are you able to pump out? Have you had any previous surgeries? What kind of medications are you on including birth control? Thyroid issues?
July 15th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeannk View Post
Have your prolactin levels been checked? How much milk are you able to pump out? Have you had any previous surgeries? What kind of medications are you on including birth control? Thyroid issues?
I haven't had my prolactin levels checked. I'm able to pump 1oz and that's approx 30-60 minutes after feeding per my LC advice. I have had a breast augmentation 12 yes ago, under muscle. I'm taking iron, prenatals, fenugreek and alfalfa. No birth control. No thyroid issues.
July 16th, 2013, 07:32 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Has your LC done a pre and post weight check to see how much breast milk the baby is taking in per feed? If not I would suggest that. If the baby is able to transfer milk well, I think you should be doing more nursing than pumping as the baby will be more efficient at removing milk and raising milk supply. Does the baby have a good strong latch? If so I would suggest you use a SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) feeder. You supplement expressed milk or formula while the baby is at the breast. You pour formula or expressed milk into the feeder and tape the tube to your nipple so your baby gets both at once.

When your baby was weighed and lost weight, do you remember if he was fed just prior to his first weight check? Did he regain his birth weight by two weeks?

Also, one other thing I would suggest. Make sure you are pumping or nursing at least 10 times per day. It has been proven by evidence based research that pumping from two breasts at a time instead of one at a time yields more milk. So you if you are breastfeeding, try pumping from the other side while you nurse. A good hands free bra will help you do that. Also, make sure you have a good working breast pump. What kind are you using?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search