Clogged tear duct...infection?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Finn's left eye has been really goopy/crusty/wet since he was born. My midwife said its just a clogged duct and it will clear up on its own. She said I could help it by massaging alongside his nose on the inside corner of the eye with a warm washcloth, and expressing a drop of breast milk into his eye would help too. I've been doing all that, but its not clearing up, and now I'm wondering if it might be infected? It was a little red on the outside corner this morning and I thought it was just from wiping the crusties away, but now the inside corner is red as well, and looks a bit swollen. He's been super fussy today, much more so than usual. I really don't want to take him to the pediatrician if I don't have to, because I'm sure they'll just prescribe antibiotics or something, and I'd like to avoid that if it's not absolutely necessary... I've never dealt with this with my daughter, so this is a new one for me...

Here is a picture...the redness is a bit worse than the picture makes it look. (sorry its so huge)

What do you think? What should I do?

July 12th, 2013, 05:25 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tristan has had the same problem since birth and I have been doing the same as you and it hasn't cleared up yet. His isn't red yet but he has an appt with the pediatrician Monday morning and I will let you know what his ped says.

July 13th, 2013, 01:53 AM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
Gracelyn had a clogged tear duct for a few days. I did the wiping and it cleared up on its own. A friend of mine had to have surgery for her daughter to fix hers so if you're concerned definitely call the pediatrician. Can't ever be too safe when it comes to your baby

July 13th, 2013, 07:13 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
It can take a while to go away if it is a clogged duct. Abri had one for about 11 months. Her pediatrician said they don't do much until it's been a year. Both of mine were blocked as a child, and I had them surgically opened at 18 months
July 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
my oldest had a clogged tear duct. she always had stuff coming out of her eye. eventually at around a year and a half she had to have a procedure where they put some kind of tube in it to open it up. I think hers was an extreme case, though, where they didn't see it ever opening on its own.
July 13th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My little brother had to have surgery on his tear duct when he was a baby, and my mum told me it was horrible and only to do it as an absolute last resort. My midwife said that some babies just have small tear ducts that get clogged easily, but usually it resolves itself by the time they're a year old. After that, they discuss surgery. I agree with my mum, I'd only do it as a last resort. I'm wary about unnecessary antibiotics, let alone surgery. I'm just going to keep up with the massaging and the breast milk and hope that it helps.

Mostly I was just concerned about the possibility of infection, because of the redness. But it looks much better this morning, I think that he was just having a fussy day yesterday, and all the crying irritated it.

Thanks for your input ladies! It's so nice to have such a large group to turn to with questions. Anytime anyone comes up with a baby issue that they don't know what to do about, chances are one of the other mom's here has already dealt with it and has advice. I love that we have that!

July 13th, 2013, 08:16 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Evan's right eye is still like this. We've been doing the massaging, etc. I asked our doctor last week and he said they usually won't really do anything about it until about 6 months or so, and not to worry about it at this time.

Edit: We cross-posted.

Last edited by rcjh12; July 13th, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
July 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both of Henry's eyes are gunky and inflamed, too, and my midwife far us the same advice.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

July 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Yep Jarek too. All my kids have had it. It will clear up

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search