Cloth Diapering Mamas: How do you like it?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty pleased with our system so far. We're still doing trifolded prefolds in microfleece socks in Thirsties duo wraps the majority of the time with Alex and using prefolds and snappis on Rory. We have a nice stash of Blissful Booty pocket diapers for when we're running around outside of the house. Rory doesn't really fit in those yet, but he does fit in our 2 Rump Around pocket diapers.

We used to have our prefolds in an open hamper but Alex's pee has gotten vicious smelling so we finally purchased a step closed lid trash can and some diaper pail liners. We also bought a diaper sprayer. I really wish we bought that sprayer a long time ago. If you don't have one I really recommend that you do get it.

Overall I'm satisfied with cloth diapering, it is working well for us. Anybody else pleased with their systems?

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Round 2 now with our GMD prefold stash bought for DD we snappi with a jellyroll fold and use misc PUL covers... still loving it!!! We've already taken out the yellow edge smalls to use as backups, though. Our larger-running orange edge newborn prefolds are getting harder to fasten. G is a biiiiig boy

I also have a good sized prefitted/GMD workhorse stash in the next size up, and DD is currently using medium red edge prefolds trifolded in mostly Flip covers. I really don't need to buy anything for this guy!!! Nice to feel like I'm saving money finally, after I went overboard experimenting with DD

July 14th, 2013, 02:57 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
We're mainly using one-size pockets right now because I haven't gottena round to ordering bigger prefolds and covers (my fatty skipped right over the newborn dipes I had bought) but so far so good. A couple don't fit right and leak, but otherwise I've been very happy. We just have a hanging wet bag and I'm doing diaper laundry about every other day, which really isn't a big deal since I pretty much do at least a load of laundry every day anyway. DH has even changed plenty of diapers after swearing he wouldn't change ANY if we used cloth. I think he's realized it really isn't all that different than disposables, and it's nice that we don't ever have to make emergency trips to the store for more
July 14th, 2013, 03:54 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Loving it! My little chunk has outgrown most of the newborn diapers we got for him (we started DD at 4 months so we already had a ton of OS pockets for him to grow into) but we're still using the GMD newborn prefolds tri-folded with thirsties covers. We also have a few thirsties fab fitteds which are my absolute favorites. The rest of our small diapers are a random assortment of wool and fleece shorties and fitted diapers. I almost never pin or use snappis with prefolds because the double gussets of the thirsties covers hold everything well enough for the tri-fold to work just fine. He fits into the OS fuzzibunz but we're just using those as backups right now so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of all the dipes I bought this time!

We still use 'sposies overnight but once we switch over to the fuzzibunz full time we'll probably stop. We just have a hanging wet bag and wash every other day or so. Easy peasy!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

July 14th, 2013, 04:10 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I'm loving it for the 3rd time around.

July 14th, 2013, 05:01 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and I are both loving it. We are total converts after swearing we would never CD. At our church dinner group tonight, some other parents were asking about CDing and DH started raving about them. We use Softbums. We use the Echos (an AI2) most of the time, but we are starting tonight using the Omnis (that can be used as pockets or AI2s) at night with the pocket. I had to add some new inserts to my stash to get an extra day between laundry since she goes through about 18 diapers a day, but I'm doing every other day. It is going really well and neither of us have any desire to go back to disposables. (I also found out this weekend that some of the limited edition prints end up selling used for more than they cost new. One of the ones I have is already going for more than I bought it for. Woo!)

July 14th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Rochelle
Going to start tomorrow at almost 3 weeks old. NB size sposies are too small for her now so I'm going to start w/ preemie prefolds, snappis and "cot'n wrap" diaper covers NB size and see how that goes. I estimate her at 9 lbs so I wonder if we missed our window with the preemie size PFs. Will update soon.
July 14th, 2013, 06:44 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Love it 3rd time around too. Right now we're using infant sized prefolds, jelly rolled with a snappi, and various covers. We also have some Osocozy fitteds.
July 14th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I tried one diaper on him and it leaked. I lost my covers so I have to find them again. ill start cloth on e the box of size 1 sposies.

July 14th, 2013, 11:33 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We just got the ok to have diapers up over Jocelyn's incision so I'm just starting back. I can't keep up with our 2yr old but I saved some prefolds so Jocelyn is using a couple Me Made covers with just a prefold laid in it. One benefit of a colostomy bag is I don't have to worry about explosions (from her diaper anyway) so I don't need to spray and can just throw everything in the wash. I just need to figure out a cover that will sit low enough for her. I need to get sewing.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 15th, 2013, 05:01 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Ugh I'm so sad I can't use my CDs yet!! They need to be stripped horribly bad and I can't do it here at in laws, it was their crappy washer that ruined them to begin with!! About two more weeks til we're in our new house and I can properly wash all of my CDs and start using them. Thank goodness I've got Connor potty trained and out of diapers now, I have his whole stash to use for her, plus the small handful of girlie colors we bought lol. I hope they all fit her by the time I'm using them on her as well. We didn't start CDing Connor til he was 6 months.

And can I just say I can not BELIEVE how many disposables we have used!!!!!! We are on our FIFTH pack of diapers in less than THREE WEEKS!!!! At $20 a pack, I don't know how we would ever afford to keep our children in diapers lol I'd definitely be potty training early And looking in to EC!!

July 15th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh I LOVE it!! And so does my husband! We mainly use prefolds with snappi and a thirsties cover...either one size or size 1 duo. I just bought more yellow edge ones. Never had a leak! I also have itti bitti d'lish SIO. I've had leaks with those unfortunately. I would like to try a bum genius freetime AIO one size. I've heard great things about those.
July 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
We love ours! We've been using GMD newborn prefolds (and some OzyCozy prefolds from my first baby) and Thirsties XS covers. The newborn prefolds are getting snug, so we'll be switching to the smalls soon. My 2 year old uses the medium red edge GMD and has been since he was around 4 months old. He is a skinny boy and and I still have to fold down the front of the those! And since I've been using them for over a year and half, they are ready to fall apart. And they STINK when he pees in them. I need to buy more mediums to get him through potty training and to use for Conrad later.

We also have a variety of pockets and fitteds that we use but those have been leaking occasionally. No leaks ever with the prefolds and covers!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search