2 CD questions

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2013, 01:01 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The first one is about the ammonia smell. Does that refer to a persistent smell in the diaper or to the smell when the pee is on the diaper? I'm not sure if the strong smell when she pees is just how her pee smells and I notice it since there isn't gel for it to be pulled into like in disposables or if it is a reaction with something about the diaper. After going through the wash, they smell clean with no residual pee/ammonia smell at all.

The other question is about covers. So the brand that I use releases limited edition colors and prints. Some of the discontinued ones that are higher in demand and harder to find sell for more used than they did when they were new. Is this typical in the CD world or is it a weird thing for this brand? I saw someone post on a buy/sell/trade board that they paid $65 for one rare print. (?!) I am not into trying to get all of the prints, but I have my eye out for some of the rarer ones to buy new since it looks like I will likely be able to sell them for more after I use them than I can buy them for now. I am pretty shocked by all of this. It seems strange to me...

July 15th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Resell: It's a weird CD Geek thing, lol. I'm not interested in messing around with buying limited prints. I intend to use all my CD hard and they probably won't be fit to resell anyway.

Ammonia: If the diaper smells like ammonia after your LO has peed in it but before getting placed in the pail it could be an issue with your washing routine or a sign that your LO isn't getting enough water. Alex is like that. His pee is potent. If your diapers smell like ammonia after being put in the pail then it's just because the moisture and all that is getting trapped.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Was it a good mama? It's much like collecting things honestly, some people don't use them but collect them. There are other things that may cost that much such as custom
Woollies.

As for the ammonia if your diapers have build up they would not smell clean coming out of the wash, they would smell the minute she pees, and it would not go away. It sounds like its just the smell of sitting in the bag/pail. If you want to see if you have build up during your rinse cycle while its washing lift the lid and see if it has a lot of suds.

July 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Usually their pee doesn't have the stronger ammonia smell until they are older, so I'm thinking either just a storage issue or washing routine issue
July 15th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The nitrogen compounds in urine slowly convert to ammonia over time. The reactions happen more quickly when it is hot or oxygen is limited, like in a closed pail, or zipped up wet bag forgotten in the car (not that I'd know anything about that), and this is totally normal. Keeping your pail open to air, in a cooler location, and washing more frequently will minimize any odor.

The ammonia production can also be catalyzed by an enzyme found in fecal bacteria from a more mature gut. This is the "ammonia as soon as they pee" and it can be very strong. In my experience this is more of an issue when they start solids and their poop gets nasty, and it can be solved with a more aggressive sanitizing wash routine, especially using bleach, to kill the bacteria and denature their enzymes. Some people never face this due to good washing conditions, but we have dealt with it before (after DD started solids), since we have (usually) very hard water and an HE FLer.

As for the resale market, it is a fascinating example of irrationality in human behavior, IMO Much like other famous bubbles, the Dutch tulips, real estate in Phoenix in 2007, etc. Hard to find, hard to get, rare, limited edition, special prints, etc... it can lead to truly insane diaper prices. Especially for USED diapers, I just have no words. People can also go bonkers over certain makers or WAHMs who have very limited supply, and sometimes the asking prices are just beyond absurd. I have seen/heard of diapers selling for over $100 EACH. It is a disease, really.

July 15th, 2013, 04:06 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I actually can't open my washer while it is going to check suds bc it is a front loader. I will see if I can adjust my washing routine a bit to see if that helps.

The diapers I use are Softbums and some of these people are a little nutty, I think. One person posted she paid $65 for a USED diaper with a bacon and eggs print, which is ugly and stupid, IMO. In buying new ones for my stash, I am looking for retailers that have some of the ones that sell for more, but I only pay the standard retail for them, not a bit more. Bc, at the end of the day, Lena poops in them. But I figure, if I would buy them anyway and I can get a much better resale buying a harder to find color or print for the same cost to me, it would be silly not to. I still think the whole thing is bananas.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search