Log In Sign Up

How to deal with lack of sleep!


Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AndieP

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
July 15th, 2013, 02:14 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,191
I love everything about having a new baby except I am totally exhausted! Granted, I am only 9 days pp and it seems to be getting better (or I am getting used to it) but I am so tired that I am dizzy and loopy all day. Also, when I do get a chance to lay down during the day and take a nap, I often just lay there for an hour and before I nod off! Does this happen to anyone else? I am not sure if my body is so overtired that it actually has a hard time falling asleep. I never get to that deep REM sleep. I haven't sleep more than 2 hours since I had Eva. I feel like I am constantly in a fog. My husband goes back to work this week and I am scared of how to keep up with my 5 year old. I feel so guilty for being so tired. Any advice on feeling better or how to cope??

Also, she seems to be flipped where she sleeps more during the day then at night. I am trying to switch her over, any advice? I try to keep her awake more during the day but it's hard, especially if we are doing something or errands because she passes right out.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
July 15th, 2013, 02:25 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 37,207
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Huge hugs Hun. Payson was similar at that age. But around 2 weeks she figured it out, I didn't do anything special. I do quiet time during Everett's nap and that's when I catch up on some sleep.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
July 15th, 2013, 02:44 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25,860
We have "family rest time" in the afternoon. My girls have to rest (the 3 year old naps and the 5 year old has quiet time) upstairs and Henry and I lay on the couch. I can usually catch an hour nap with him napping on my chest. I'm not getting much sleep at night so coffee is a must in the mornings to be able to function.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
July 15th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,057
Day/night confusion sucks. I think letting in as much natural light as possible during the day, and getting them out in the sunshine a few times a day, helps. As does keeping the lights as low as possible at night, keep it dark and quiet.

I feel you on the sleep deprivation. I am getting tiny bits of REM sleep here and there but often getting woken out of a dream once it starts, which makes me even more tired I think. Use caution if you're driving or anything like that, but otherwise just accept the zombie life I feel sort of brain dead most of the time but luckily at this point the whole diaper change, breastfeeding, wipe up spit ups thing is pretty automatic so I can just get through the day alright. Sometimes I realize how brain dead I am when I am trying to remember something, or someone tries to hold a serious conversation with me or I need to make a decision. Or I see a pic of myself from the past few days and it's like "holy dark undereye circles" haha.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #5  
July 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,834
Yeah, expose them to a lot of natural light, keep 'em busy. Then include them in your night time routine, get everything quiet and dim. Eventually they get it. They're so used to when in the womb mom stops moving that meant that they get to wake up and to play.
__________________

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!


Reply With Quote
  #6  
July 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM
AndieP's Avatar Regular
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, UK
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy220 View Post

Also, she seems to be flipped where she sleeps more during the day then at night. I am trying to switch her over, any advice? I try to keep her awake more during the day but it's hard, especially if we are doing something or errands because she passes right out.
Try to avoid doing this if you can. It's a common misconception that keeping a baby awake during the day can help her sleep at night. In fact, it can make things worse.

Your baby seems to be struggling understanding the difference between night and day. Don't worry, some babies just get this easier than others. Make sure her room is clearly bright during the day and dark at night (use night shades if it gets light early morning). Also, be a little distant with your baby at night, try not to talk to her, or disturb her too often, to help reinforce the difference.

During the day, let her nap, but make sure you go outside, and have a fairly active day. Then in the evening, make sure the environment is really calm, to let your baby gradually release any tension that has built up during the day. Try turning the TV off and have some soft music in the background, and don't have visitors round too often. Hope this helps!
edgeofelise likes this.
__________________
= > Baby not sleeping at night? - Visit http://bestbabysleep.net
Reply With Quote
  #7  
July 17th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 2,137
I let Ellianna sleep on my chest at night. I know - she "should" be in her crib. It comes down to this for me. I can spend 20 minutes to get her to sleep, place her in a crib for 10 minutes just to have her wake and start the process all over. Option 2 is to let her sleep on my chest and we both sleep (although my sleep is in the oversized chair). In the end, I give in to get the sleep (and I kinda enjoy the time with her).
__________________
Kimberly

Reply With Quote
  #8  
July 17th, 2013, 06:37 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndieP View Post

Try to avoid doing this if you can. It's a common misconception that keeping a baby awake during the day can help her sleep at night. In fact, it can make things worse.

Your baby seems to be struggling understanding the difference between night and day. Don't worry, some babies just get this easier than others. Make sure her room is clearly bright during the day and dark at night (use night shades if it gets light early morning). Also, be a little distant with your baby at night, try not to talk to her, or disturb her too often, to help reinforce the difference.

During the day, let her nap, but make sure you go outside, and have a fairly active day. Then in the evening, make sure the environment is really calm, to let your baby gradually release any tension that has built up during the day. Try turning the TV off and have some soft music in the background, and don't have visitors round too often. Hope this helps!
Honestly lets face it, when i say i try to keep her awake I really mean just not being afraid to be loud and have her In bright light, etc. there really is no keeping a baby awake at least not her bc she will just pass out anyway, lol. I just mean when she is awake we try to play with her, bathe her, and stuff to keep her from sleeping out of boredom.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
July 24th, 2013, 05:45 AM
AndieP's Avatar Regular
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, UK
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy220 View Post
Honestly lets face it, when i say i try to keep her awake I really mean just not being afraid to be loud and have her In bright light, etc. there really is no keeping a baby awake at least not her bc she will just pass out anyway, lol. I just mean when she is awake we try to play with her, bathe her, and stuff to keep her from sleeping out of boredom.
Oh I see Sounds like you're doing all the right things, especially if she's taking enough naps during the day. I'm sure it's a phase which will pass. Good luck!
__________________
= > Baby not sleeping at night? - Visit http://bestbabysleep.net
Reply With Quote
  #10  
July 24th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Washington DC
Posts: 1,174
copious amounts of coffee
__________________



Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0