Successful Road Trip!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By SassySami
  • 1 Post By TeresaV
  • 4 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm back! Our vacation wasn't very relaxing, but it was really nice to be "home" for a few days.

Roadtripping with a 7 week old turned out to be a lot easier than we thought it would be. After Arthur started screaming 5 minutes into the trip, we gave up on our conviction to stop every time he wanted to eat, and took my mom's advice to just take him out of the car seat and feed him. Which I'm glad we took that advice, since he doesn't take a pacifier and really doesn't take to a bottle, and we had to drive through mountains in Tennessee: he nursed THE WHOLE TIME because of his poor little ears.

The way up took us 22 hours to get to Iowa. We drove the whole way through. It would have taken us shorter, but our little guy decided to have TWO poop explosions, one was when we stopped at 4:30, he did it RIGHT as I opened the door to get him out of the car seat at the gas station. The second while we were driving and I was nursing him, thank goodness I had a towel down on my pillow I was resting him on LOL

The stay in Iowa ended up being nice, but it was still filled with drama. My mother in law SWORE to us before we came that she quit smoking, so we decided to stay with her. We went out to visit friends all day the second day we were in town, and when we got back to the house, the place reeked of smoke. She had lied. I was upset. So DH and I got in a huge fight at the end of the trip about how we weren't going to stay there at Christmas time, we would stay with my aunt. He wants to give her another chance, I said she had her chance. Arthur didn't react well to the smoke: his nose got stuffed up and he had a hard time breathing, his eyes got rimmed red, and there was a little bit of blood in his nose.

The trip back down to Florida was a lot easier, Arthur slept more. I had to change a diaper in the back seat of the car. Arthur pooped literally as we passed the last exit for an hour, so that was an adventure in and of itself. Matt decided to be nice and utilize the changing table in the men's room at the Cracker Barrel we ate supper at, so that i could eat without holding a fussy baby, and when he came back he regretted being nice: worst poop explosion ever, and the first he'd actually had to change.

We're super glad to be home now though, and we're wondering if our road trip in 5 months at Christmas will be as easy as it was this time. Here are a couple pictures from our trip:

Finally not screaming, and accepting that he would have to stay in his car seat for longer than 10 minutes.

At the family reunion he got to meet the mascot at our alma mater, Iowa Sate. It's never too early to groom him to be a Cyclone.

Looking cool driving over to my brother in law's house. Those cup holders on his car seat came in handy on the trip: the backseat of the rental car had none, so I used them

How he spent most of the trip home.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
July 17th, 2013, 08:32 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
You guys were brave! I'm glad he did so well on the way
July 17th, 2013, 08:40 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I'm glad it went well.

July 17th, 2013, 08:56 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I say this with love and as much non judgement as humanly possible, next time please consider stopping when he needs to eat. Driving with him out of his seat is not only extremely unsafe but it is illegal. As inconvienent as it might have been an accident would have been horrific.
zkat, Tiffany8620 and MamaSkunk like this.

July 17th, 2013, 09:07 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Did I really read this? You took him out of the carseat while car was moving? Why would you do that? I'm baffled! It is so unsafe and illegal. I'm speechless
Tiffany8620 likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

July 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySami View Post
Did I really read this? You took him out of the carseat while car was moving? Why would you do that? I'm baffled! It is so unsafe and illegal. I'm speechless
Wow, I thought I read that wrong too, until I read other responses. I would much rather deal with a screaming baby than think of what could have happened if you had been in an accident.
Tiffany8620 likes this.

July 17th, 2013, 11:18 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Steph - glad you had a good trip. Car rides with little ones are such a crap shoot sometimes. I am very concerned that Arthur rode in a moving vehicle out of his car seat. My brother is a Highway patrol and has shared more stories/pictures with me than I ever care to see about babies that have been in accidents when they were IN carseats, but not properly restrained. Please, I am asking out of love and concern that Arthur stay properly restrained anytime the car is moving.

As far as the MIL and the smoking in the house - Hell to the no! MIL lost her chance, especially if she said she quit. I would have packed up all my stuff that day and gone to my aunts. I agree with you 100% on this one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search