Another BFing Question

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By QueenCrafty

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know I ask a million of these. Now that Corbin is finally nursing and gaining weight my what I thought might be a slight oversupply is turning into a problem. I noticed a few times last week my right side was spraying out milk after they would unlatch and Nolan would stop nursing and scream in frustration often. Well then Corbin had green frothy poops twice. I called the LC from the hospital she acted like no big deal it will all work itself out in a few days. I tried pumping before feeding(just 5 min) but I guess they had started to get use to the forceful letdown because they screamed when it didn't come out right away. I'm also trying to build up a stash for work so I try pumping after every feeding. I get anywhere from 2oz to 4oz total. Probably more if I kept pumping longer but unless I'm driving someone is usually screaming within a few minutes. Is there anything else I should do? Should I be concerned about the poops or just let things work itself out?

Also I've noticed by the end of the day the babies always do the cluster nursing but they also seem to cry at the breast a lot in the evenings. Like they aren't getting anything. They claw and dig at me like crazy at night. I hate BFing right before bedtime because they are always hurting me. Any ideas? DH is not as supportive in this because he can't see how nursing them at that time of day is any different than the rest of the day and he says I do the rest of the day alone. Ugh.
July 24th, 2013, 03:33 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Supply is usually lowest at the end of the day, so they may be a little frustrated. That's normal. It's also possible that they are having a growth spurt and want to nurse more. When Henry does this, I just switch him from breast to breast all evening until he is asleep. The last growth spurt I think I nursed for about 2 hours straight.

I don't know much about the oversupply issue. If the LC wasn't too worried about it, then maybe just keep an eye on it and see if it does change
zkat and 4hearts like this.
July 24th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Eleanor-Abigail's Avatar Keep Calm and Baby Dance
Hi there! I'm lurking from the TTC boards but thought I'd pop in and give my thoughts.

What you're describing definitely sounds like over-supply, ESP w/ the green poops & fussy babies. Your milk supply is still getting established so I think the green poops will go away when your babies are communicating to your body just how much *they* need. Pumping after feeding right now might actually signal your body to make MORE milk. When do you go back to work? You could try pumping for work a couple weeks before you go back.

Have you been to KellyMom.com? They have a ton of bf info, including on oversupply and nursing twins. Your local La Leche League group is also a good resource (if you have one).

Congratulations on your babies, and good for you for nursing them! Breast feeding is so good for babies, but it can be difficult enough with one, let alone two!

Good job, mama!

One more question: how old are your babies? There is a big growth spurt around the 6 week mark, and they will want to nurse a lot, and get pissed off if it's not there right when they want it!

2, 4, 6, 8...c'mon body, ovulate!

Nov '12
July 24th, 2013, 05:59 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Cluster feedings at night, super normal. I do not know much about over supply. Hugs mama!!

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

July 24th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The milk doesn't seem to be coming out quite as fast today as before but I noticed early on that I had a faster flow than I expected so I think that's normal for me. They are 7 weeks old today. I've checked out Kelly mom before. I have tried keeping them each on the same side for feedings for a couple of feedings and that seems to be working well. I was switching sides every feeding. I gave the oversupplied side to my weaker latcher and things seemed to slow down. The LC is the one who mentioned me pumping after each morning/early afternoon feeding to empty it more. I go back to work towards the end of August. I have 17oz frozen even if I only frozen 3oz a day I would only have enough to last for a few days. I'm expecting my supply to take a dip when I go back as I really only have one opportunity to pump each day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search