Inoculations

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mom2LillieAidan
  • 1 Post By hilachu
  • 2 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Arthur goes in for his two month appointment tomorrow, and he's getting his first round of inoculations. What can I expect when I go in? When I looked on the pediatrician's website, I noticed that he'll be getting inoculated for four different things. Does that mean four separate injections? The website also said to bring in baby tylenol to give him before the doctor sees him and after he's weighed, does that mean he's going to be in pain after the shots? I'm making DH go with me because I don't know if I can handle him getting all these shots and screaming. The jaundice stuff was super painful for me, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's appointment.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
July 25th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It probably will be 4 different injections. The Tylenol is to relieve any lingering pain and also to reduce any fever. Fever is typical after vaccinations. Chances are he will be in some pain but most likely he'll just want to nurse extra and snuggle a lot.
rcjh12 likes this.

#1, 4, 5, 7
July 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
dont forget sleep!
anytime my kiddos have gotten shots they just get sleepy
Karen78 likes this.

July 25th, 2013, 02:42 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our ped only recommends Tylenol if baby seems really uncomfortable, otherwise it's best to just leave him alone. DD was fine and just really sleepy for a few hours but woke up later that evening burning up and screaming so we put her in the ergo and took a walk and gave her some Tylenol. She passed back out and was just fine after that. It's hard to watch but it's over quickly. Hugs!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

July 25th, 2013, 02:59 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All babies react differently to shots, so I would see how Arthur feels after them before dosing him with Tylenol but that is just me. What is normal is low grade fever, extra sleepy, slight swelling in the thighs where the injections are given and over all crankiness.

If you are not comfortable with 4 injections, you can request to space them out. We do no more than 2 vax'es at a time and never two new ones. I also delay all vaccines until after 6 months, except for DTap.

Our nurse suggested I nurse B1 during the vaccines at this age and it was the best suggestion ever! I also nursed Bodhi during the heel pricks for jaundice and it went much smoother.
MamaSkunk and crawmommy like this.
July 25th, 2013, 03:08 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, I'm dreading the 2 month appointment. Morgan's is Wednesday. I took the afternoon off of work so I can snuggle her and try to make it better. Thanks for the info on the Tylenol. I'll bring some with me just in case.

July 25th, 2013, 03:11 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I believe its 2 injections and an oral vaccine but I could be wrong. I would wait on the tylenol to see how he reacts first he could be totally fine and not need anything.

July 25th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second everyone's advice about the Tylenol. I won't be giving Aidan any before his appt (on Wednesday) but if he has a fever flare up, I will.

#1, 4, 5, 7
July 25th, 2013, 04:15 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
They usually combine shots. Jocelyn got 3 shots and an oral med. She only cried until I fed her, then passed out. We never gave tylenol.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 25th, 2013, 07:30 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They are usually combined into 2 shots and 1 oral at my pedi. My kids usually run a fever and get very sleepy. I only give Tylenol if they start running fever.

July 25th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Oh yeah I forgot about the sleepiness! When my older boy was 2 months he slept for 7 hours (hardly waking to nurse or when I changed him).

July 25th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks for the advice ladies! I'm feeling much better going into tomorrow now, having a better idea of what to expect!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
July 25th, 2013, 09:49 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Found a picture of my son after his 2 month shots. He felt like absolute crap. He was way worse than DD. I really hope Mac gets off easier than Kiefer did. Although, the 2 month shots were his worst reaction.

July 25th, 2013, 10:12 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do the exact same thing as kat. We delay VAX until after 6 months except Tdap and we don't allow the Hep B they give at birth also until after 1.

July 26th, 2013, 02:14 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We space them out. I could never give 4 at once.

July 26th, 2013, 03:59 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Doc said last time not to give the baby tylenol unless they have a fever or are really, really uncomfortable. Like others have said, all babies react differently. Normally with some extra cuddles and nursing/feeding they calm down pretty quick afterwards (I only know this because I worked with a doctor that saw peds and I've given lots of babies vaccinations.) I remember one family in particular that would ask to use the room for about 15 minutes after the vaccine so she could nurse the baby and when they came out, he was fast asleep. Just keep tylenol on hand and be prepared for some crankiness. Also, you can choose to space out the vaccines. The most I've had to give in one appointment is 4 plus an oral vaccine. It's pretty rough having to give them to a baby and be the bad guy, too. Just be sure that if the nurse asks you to hold your baby's arms or legs, that you hold them tightly. We had one mom that let go of her baby's legs and the baby's leg got all scratched by the needle because he kicked furiously. Luckily, I was not the one that was giving the baby that shot and was called in after the incident to hold the baby down. It's a sucky situation all around, but babies get over it pretty quickly.

ETA: Also, if you don't want to hold your baby's arms or legs, just ask them to get another nurse or get the doctor to help. They should have no problem with that.

July 26th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
The shots are always harder on me then they seem to be on the babies. I believe Zack will get 3 and an oral. The nurse at our doctors will get all set up and start the band aid so it's a quick process. I always held them after and they calmed down long enough to get back home. Then they slept a lot more the rest of the day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search