I say "Hospitalization" like it's a good thing. *Update, last post*

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sending good thoughts!
July 27th, 2013, 04:32 AM
PregnantAtLast's Avatar Loving my baby boy
thinking of you

July 27th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope you get answers soon. Will keep you in my thoughts

July 28th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We got discharged! Rory now weighs 8lb4oz! That's 6.5oz in 4 days! We're super excited about that

He is now eating 3.5oz every 3 hours. So far the most he has eaten out of the bottle before having to resort to the tube is 2.25oz which is super awesome because that is the high end of what he normally took...and he took it in less than 15minutes! Huge difference from 45minutes.

He's not consistent with the bottle though, sometimes he will only eat .5oz from the bottle, other times none at all. But we're not stressing it this week. If he refuses the bottle then we just tube him. I figure he is very tired from 7weeks of starvation, tired from eating so much, tired from the hospital, and probably now his body will jump straight into a growth spurt. I'm going to give him a week or so to adjust before stressing the bottle again.

The doctors also said that after he eats I can latch him on. Anything he pulls from the breast after a normal feed is a bonus, but we can't really count it when recording how much he eats because it is an unknown.

Honestly, I'm just so thrilled that he is tolerating the larger feeds and gaining weight

The official diagnosis right now is just Failure to Thrive. The first time I read those words I felt sick. It felt like it was saying "Failure to Parent". The biggest job a parent has is to feed their child. I couldn't breastfeed him and I couldn't bottle feed him. He was starving. For 7 weeks. FTT means he was literally starving to death. I know it's not me or anything I did, but it's hard to accept that :\

The GI team said to prepare ourselves for not finding anything. Often times with kids like Rory they have no idea what is going on. They can only offer treatment and wait until they grow out of it. Doesn't stop them from ordering a million tests though, lol. That's fine though.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 28th, 2013, 04:58 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I'm sorry there's no definite solution, but at least now you have a way to ensure he is getting all of the nutrition he needs. FTT is a terrible term It's good to know that he'll grow out of it, though! He'll catch up in no time and the good thing is he'll never remember any of it! Glad you're able to take your LO home and enjoy watching him grow instead of worrying.

July 28th, 2013, 05:40 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is good news on the weight gain

I hope he just needed a jump start and it is easier going forward.
July 28th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Exactly. What a difference it has been to feed him and not wind up crying afterwards because he just wouldn't eat.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 28th, 2013, 07:02 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I am so glad he is doing better now. Good news on the weight gain! Hugs! Don't feel bad hopefully he just needed a little extra help and he will continue to gain.

July 29th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Watch him take off now. He just needed to figure it out a bit. This is good news and Ill keep praying that it only gets better.

July 29th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hopefully this is the jump start he needed. Glad he is gaining weight.
July 29th, 2013, 02:40 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I am sorry that you and Rowan and the entire family are going through this. I am a strong believer that if breast feeding is too hard for you and or baby then it is time to go to formula. I would have loved to breastfeed but my body just wouldn't produce and if I wasn't trying to nurse Aubrey I was pumping for hours and only getting a half ounce total from both breasts after pumping for over an hour.

I will pray for wisdom from the doctors and strength for you and your family during this time.

~Kristin~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search