Considering quitting BFing

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By Eleanor-Abigail
  • 2 Post By crawmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy

I have no idea what to do.

Corbin is still having green poops. Apparently 80% of what I've been eating the past few weeks still has dairy in it. So now I just don't eat seriously I can't find anything I like or want so I just don't eat. Yesterday I attempted something I wanted for dinner. Corbin started screaming and dinner got burned. I finally ate a poptart and mcdonalds chicken nuggets and that's it. I was eating a ton of steel cut oats but I got this one brand from this store and its the only kind I like. I haven't had time to get back there because the store is 45 minutes away.

The babies are so fussy all the time. I can't figure out if I have an oversupply/imbalance or it's the milk protein. They don't sleep well. I can barely get 10 minutes without someone screaming. I hate being at home alone because all they do is cry and I have no help.

I'm hungry all the time.

I'm so lost. I love BFing but it's just not working like it should. I feel like they would be happier with formula and be less fussy.
July 29th, 2013, 06:40 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
You have to do what you think is best for you and your family. You have done amazi g breastfeeding 2 babies up to this point. What does the green poop look like? Mucusy or frothy?

July 29th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mostly mucous looking now. This morning Nolans was pretty normal but he's been having some dark brown ones and then a few green ones too. Corbing was slightly less green this morning but last night it was like spinach colored green and dry.

Just as I typed the last post Nolan fell asleep in the swing and Corbin put himself to sleep in the bouncer. Maybe they could tell I needed a break because seriously since the 6am feed this morning I was either holding them or they were crying. I took a shower with Nolan screaming his head off because if I didn't shower then I didn't think I'd get a chance to.
July 29th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I want to tell you that you are doing a beautiful job and if you choose to continue we will try to offer as much helpful advice as we can. That said, no one will think less of you if you stop. And you shouldn't think any less of yourself, either. You already have the challenge of twins and now you have other challenges. Only you know when it is too much (though feeling like you can't eat sounds overwhelming to me). I'm trying to prepare myself for where to draw the line with pumping. I'm going to see how this week goes with Rory's new feeding routine. In theory I should have more time but we'll see. So, I'm in the the same position as you. And it's hard :s
navywifey2003 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 29th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
I want to tell you that you are doing a beautiful job and if you choose to continue we will try to offer as much helpful advice as we can. That said, no one will think less of you if you stop. And you shouldn't think any less of yourself, either. You already have the challenge of twins and now you have other challenges. Only you know when it is too much (though feeling like you can't eat sounds overwhelming to me). I'm trying to prepare myself for where to draw the line with pumping. I'm going to see how this week goes with Rory's new feeding routine. In theory I should have more time but we'll see. So, I'm in the the same position as you. And it's hard :s
Thank you! It is hard. I know in my heart I truly don't want to quit. It would devastate me to quit. I feel so empowered to say that I EBF twins and to know where Corbin started with the weight gain and latch issues and to know now I stuck with him and he caught on. He's still little, and probably always will be I was that way and borderline FTT. I was always below the charts and he may have just gotten that from me. DH was always way above and I think Nolan may have taken to more of his genes.

But I just have these moments where I just sit and want to cry. I feel like breaking open a can of formula and saying to he** with it. The LCs I talk to say "it will all work itself out there are three bodies in this equation and everyone will get the hang of it" seriously? what do I do in the meantime...lose my mind? At the moment I see no light at the end of the tunnel.
July 29th, 2013, 08:49 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bonnie said it best. If you want to continue, we will support and help any way we can (I can really help with the food) but if you choose to stop - I understand 100%. I was in the same place with Bourne. He nursed non-stop. He was allergic to dairy. He screamed on and off the breast. I was sleeping in 1 hour blocks. I almost quit right at the 2 month mark (If we had formula in the house, I would have quit). Life leveled out around 3 months. Our BF relationship was still a bad high school relationship a lot of the time, but we managed 10 months.

Do what is best for you and the boys you have us to support you either way
July 29th, 2013, 09:38 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any advice because I have no experience, but just wanted to say that you've done an amazing job already nursing twins this long. I can't imagine doing that, let alone with the dietary restrictions. Only you know when it's time. Your health and sanity is very, very important. *hugs*

July 29th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to add a few suggestions of dairy free meals for you if you chose to continue on the dairy free diet (which is super hard - I know, I am trying it).

1) I eat this nearly every day as it is quick and tastey. Get a sandwich wrap. Spread with Planter's Nutrition PN Butter (I use the one with PB, Granola and banana - but you could just do PB and granola), then smash a banana on it and roll. You can eat in one hand. I keep some in the frige wrapped in foil for on the go.

2) Spaghetti and meatballs. I made the noodles in batches and keep them in the fridge with a little oil. Just pour boiled water over them to reheat. Top with store bought sauce and some frozen meatballs. (Hopefully you are not Italian as it is not superb spaghetti - but it is food).

3) Almond milk - I use it in lots.

4) Oreas - everyone needs a snack.

5) Pot roast, potatoes and carrots in the crock pot. Since I cannot eat butter, this is the only way I can eat a potato.

I go food shopping on Saturday or Sunday. Then I make DH hold the baby for me to cut up all the fruit into bite sizes. There are containers of cantelope, honeydue, strawberries, blueberries, etc. in the fridge. Sometimes lunch is fruit. Not ideal - but workable. I can eat with one hand and hold the baby with the other.

Another thing - Ellianna loves the tub. I place the tub in the kitchen sink. I can watch her in the tub (with one hand on her belly) while I stand at the counter and eat. It stops the screams and I get to eat.
overlinmommy17 likes this.

July 29th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Kim. Today I have been really good about eating and staying dairy free.

I did buy some of that Planters Nutrition yesterday. That's been my snack along with whole grain (milk free) crackers. I had store bought chicken salad(I haven't cut out eggs or soy....yet...if it gets to that I might have to quit) and then I found some almond milk ice cream and milk free brownies.

Last time I had oreos in the house I ate the whole bag in less than a day... and it was the triple stuffed kind...talk about overload. I think I need to refrain from the oreos for awhile haha.

I did have plain steel cut oats in the pantry and I attempted to make myself some like the flavored kind I buy. They were ok. Not as good but I can try it different tomorrow.

What has been getting me is SS had t-ball a lot and we were out and eating out a lot. Well I stopped ordered burgers because of the cheese so I ate chicken sandwiches. Turns out all the restaurants we went to used milk in their breading. I'm not kidding when I say for the past three weeks I've had some sort of chicken sandwich(breaded) at least every other day if not every day. I was mega disappointed when I realized...I may as well been ordering the cheeseburger.

When I was pregnant I went through a gallon of regular milk every week, half gallon of chocolate milk every other day to every three days and I had pizza for lunch every day for nearly three months straight. How in the world did this happen?!?!
July 29th, 2013, 12:01 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
You are so amazing for all of your efforts to BF your babies. I am so proud of you!! No matter what you decide we are here for you. I can't imagine having two. I have been going through the same thing with just one!! I still have lots of bad days with Madeline. Huge hugs !!!!

July 29th, 2013, 12:44 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
You are awesome for breast feeding twins this long! Of course you have our support no matter which decision you make.

I eat oatmeal a lot when breastfeeding. My favorite ways to eat it are: a spoonful of brown sugar and sliced banana (sometimes a few chocolate chips) and apple cinnamon. For the apple one, I put the apple in the oatmeal before cooking so it softens it up a little. Then I add a little brown sugar, a little regular sugar, and cinnamon.

I hope you can find more foods that will work!
July 29th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Thank you! It is hard. I know in my heart I truly don't want to quit. It would devastate me to quit. I feel so empowered to say that I EBF twins and to know where Corbin started with the weight gain and latch issues and to know now I stuck with him and he caught on.
I feel the exact same way

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 29th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
And remember wine is dairy free . I have 1/2 glass several times a week. Lactation consultant said it is fine. Sushi is also great.

July 29th, 2013, 06:20 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I eat a lot if hummus with carrots, nuts, and fruits are my go tos. Most grilled chicken sandwhiches from fast food are dairy free. We always carry snacks -lara bars, applesauce etc too.

It is hard, especially the cheese. My office was ordering in for a lunch meeting. All the salads and dressings had cheese, which s the only gluten free option. I dont mind eating my packed lunch, but it stresses everyone else out
July 29th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Eleanor-Abigail's Avatar Keep Calm and Baby Dance
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble! Especially after your post the other day when you were so happy.

If you know in your heart that you don't want to quit, and you wouldn't feel right if you did, then *stick with it.* You will get through this! It could be a dairy issue, it could be colic, it could be reflux, or something else.

The other thing I got from your post - you're in the house alone all day w/ newborn twins? Good grief woman, how have you made it this long w/o being in a straitjacket?! I kid, I kid. But seriously - is there a moms of multiples or Stroller Strides or storytime at the library opportunity where you live? You've got to get out of the house and be with other moms & babies. Barring that, a friend, high schooler/college student, neighbor, etc. - someone to give you a break. You didn't grow or birth them on your own, so why should you be expected to rear them entirely on your own?

You are doing a good job! You will get through this!
overlinmommy17 likes this.

2, 4, 6, 8...c'mon body, ovulate!

Nov '12
July 30th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Katie if you ever want to chat pm me and I will give you my #. You are doing great. I am also hungry 24/7. I make these homemade granola bars with oats and eat them for snacks & in the middle of the night. You have got to eat & drink water like crazy...even if that means letting them cry it out for a few minutes. I can give you some recipes if you need. Let me know

July 30th, 2013, 07:09 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hang in there. Just know that we support you no matter what!

I follow a dairy free diet for MS, so I know that it can be so tough to find stuff to eat!

For breakfast:
- I usually have a green smoothie. I make them in batches on Sunday and freeze them in Dixie cups for the week. I put OJ, frozen berries, ice and spinach in them. There are lots of recipes online for them. I love them.

-Oatmeal or cereal with almond milk
-I keep ALOT of fruit in my house so I will have mixed fruit.

Lunch:
- PB and banana sandwhiches
-Turkey wraps
-I get bagged salad and veggies, and make a big batch of salad on sundays. Then I divide it up in to 4 or 5 mason jars for lunch. To help it make me fuller I add a lot of seeds and nuts like sunflower seeds and cashews. I usually use italian dressing. Sometimes I will add the pre-cooked frozen chicken to the salad also!

For snacks:

-granola! (My favorite is KIND grains brand).
-Skinny Pop brand Popcorn. It uses sunflower oil and salt instead of butter so its dairy free. SOOO Addicting. I love that stuff!
-I like the pretzel chips and hummus also!

Sweet stuff:
-There are dairy free/gluten free brownies that I actually really like. So I keep those on hand when I am craving sweet stuff
-Also berries and Coolwhip is good for dessert. Just make sure to check and make sure there is no dairy in the coolwhip. (Some store brands have dairy in it).
-Also one of my favorite thing is baked bananas. I put a banana with peanut butter and marshmallows in the oven to bake. When its all warm I will top it with granola. YUM!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search