Sleep on her belly

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 8miraclez

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just returned from ped. for Ellia's 2 month checkup (actually 7 1/2 weeks). Reflux remains bad with little girl wheezing from it. I wanted to try something other than Zantac (she takes .6 three times a day). Know what he told me to do? Let her sleep on her belly He said she is at low risk and it will help her sleep. I think DH is rady to try it. I think I rather just continue to sleep in a large chair with her on my chest. It should get better in 5 additional months. I am really worried about trying belly. He also said put her breastmilk in a bottle with 1 tbs of cereal added for each ounce of milk. The thickness should keep the food down. That seems like a lot of cereal in a day.

July 29th, 2013, 09:07 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When Bodhi's reflux is bad, I put him on his belly, on my chest. It really does help, but we bedshare, so it is not like I am sleeping in the chair or couch.

I really disagree with the cereal. Research as proven that it doesn't keep it down and can actually make reflux worse.
July 29th, 2013, 09:24 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I also found belly sleeping to help with Abri's reflux. I did it for naps so that I could keep an eye on her. Once she was older and able to roll, she always rolled herself to her belly. We do it occasionally for Henry. I suspect mild silent reflux for him. He gets really uncomfortable after his second night time feeding and can't settle. When we flip him over, he will sleep.

I agree with Kat- using cereal to treat reflux is controversial. Our pedi did not want us to use it. This is what I found on kellymom.com when I did my research on reflux:

"Does it work? Thickened feeds can reduce spitting up, but studies have not shown a decrease in reflux index scores (i.e., the “silent reflux” is still present). Per Donna Secker, MS, RD in Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, “The effect of thickened feedings may be more cosmetic (decreased regurgitation and increased postprandial sleeping) than beneficial.” Thickened feeds have been associated with increased coughing after feedings, and may also decrease gastric emptying time and increase reflux episodes and aspiration. Note that rice cereal will not effectively thicken breastmilk due to the amylase (an enzyme that digests carbohydrates) naturally present in the breastmilk.

Is it healthy for baby? If you do thicken feeds, monitor baby’s intake since baby may take in less milk overall and thus decrease overall nutrient intake. There are a number of reasons to avoid introducing cereal and other solids early. There is evidence that the introduction of rice or gluten-containing cereals before 3 months of age increases baby’s risk for type I diabetes. In addition, babies with GERD are more likely to need all their defenses against allergies, respiratory infections and ear infections – but studies show that early introduction of solids increases baby’s risk for all of these conditions."

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/
July 29th, 2013, 09:44 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yikes on both suggestions! I don't know what I would do, honestly. It sounds like the other ladies have much more experience and better advice. I hope her reflux improves soon, though!

July 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We all as babies slept on our stomachs, had no seat belts, had lead paint covered cribs/toys, our parents smoked while pregnant and we all turned out ok. My oldest slept in his crib on his stomach since he was about 8 weeks old and he's turning 7 in 12 days or so. Trey sleeps in my bed or pack n play on his tummy during naps.

July 29th, 2013, 09:58 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I highly disagree on giving her cereal also. Just flat out wouldn't do it. And I have found letting Tristan sleep on his belly sometimes helps when his reflux is bad but I let him fall asleep on his belly on my chest since we also bedshare. But what I do is once he falls asleep and is limp arm type asleep is finally move him back onto his back and into the crook of my arm and he stays asleep then.

July 29th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yikes to both I have been letting Corbin fall asleep on his tummy but on me and then I move him. He always slightly rolls to his side when I do this but as long as he doesn't fall asleep on his back he seems to do better.
July 29th, 2013, 10:44 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that it all sounds like bad advice from that dr. Can you get a second opinion?

July 29th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Arthur will only sleep on his belly, so I've been sleeping him on his belly in his crib for the last couple weeks, and now he pretty much sleeps through the night. I get up and check on him a couple times throughout the night though. My mom and my friend told me to try it since he was waking up every 30 minutes sleeping him on his back, and since he can move his head and scoot around. I know it's not "the rules" but "the rules" change constantly. And if he sleeps better one way than another, I'm going to take it.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
July 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Aubrey sleeps so much better on her side and doesn't seem to spit up as much. I already have her on cereal not for the reflux but because she was eating 4-5 oz every hour and still screaming and chewing everything in sight because she was hungry. She wouldn't sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time and cried constantly. Once I started thickening her formula with the cereal she eats 4 oz of formula and an ounce of cereal (so I don't add 1 Tbsp per ounce) every 3-4 hours. And she is finally sleeping for real naps during the day and not always on me but in her swing or bassinet.

It is a personal choice on what you want to do with both. You don't have to do what the pedi says. Do what makes you feel comfortable as baby's momma.

Good luck!

~Kristin~
July 30th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would get a movement monitor...they sell them at target online. I have the angel care my friend has the other brand...my friends is easier to work. Simple. Mine is complex.

July 30th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawmommy View Post
I would get a movement monitor...they sell them at target online. I have the angel care my friend has the other brand...my friends is easier to work. Simple. Mine is complex.
I do have the Angel Care. I used it with my two sons. I just worry that it is not medical brand. I am such a worrier

July 30th, 2013, 06:11 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Yikes! Your doctor sounds very old fashioned.
For sleep, try propping the bed up a little. That's what the hospital suggested for my other kids. One even slept in a bouncy until a few months old. My sister's foster baby died of SIDS while sleeping on his belly. I could never do that.
Unless baby isn't gaining weight, just carry a burp cloth everywhere you go. If she is loosing weight, then it needs to be looked into better. Thickening breastmilk won't help the reflux.
MamaSkunk likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Last edited by 8miraclez; July 31st, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
July 30th, 2013, 07:17 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is what Tristan naps in and DD did as well it becomes a rocker that can be used as they get older. It vibrates and has a play bar so it can act as a real nice bouncer and you can take the toy bar off and put up the kickstand and it reclines but leaves the head elevated enough it helps our reflux babies. And its cheap so no big bucks to spend. I have the one pictured for DD and a cute turtle one for little man.
http://m.fisher-price.com/en_US/m/br...products/47989

July 31st, 2013, 01:35 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I used this with Abri and it has an incline that helped
http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/pr...ww.toysrus.com
July 31st, 2013, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
This is what Tristan naps in and DD did as well it becomes a rocker that can be used as they get older. It vibrates and has a play bar so it can act as a real nice bouncer and you can take the toy bar off and put up the kickstand and it reclines but leaves the head elevated enough it helps our reflux babies. And its cheap so no big bucks to spend. I have the one pictured for DD and a cute turtle one for little man.
Infant-to-Toddler Rocker
We have a similar bouncey I now let her sleep on her belly while on MY lap during naps while I can watch her back go up and down. For now dhe sleeps on me at night. It really is just a little time until she hits the 6-7 month mark. Can't bring myself to let her on her belly at night.

August 2nd, 2013, 02:03 PM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
Camden sleeps in his carseat a lot.... Almost all the time. Whatever works!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search