Feeding advice desperately needed

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 8miraclez

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2013, 05:35 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm at my wits end on feeding/spit up problems. Aubrey is formula fed and we have been on Enfamil after breastfeeding didn't work for me. She was projectile spitting up and always fussy. Pedi prescribed Zantac 2x a day. I burp every1-2 oz, she sits upright for at least 15-20 min after feedings but usually longer cause she sleep on my chest. After researching online & asking other friends it seems spit up is pretty constant with Enfamil. We switched to another milk based formula with iron, tried gentle tummy kinds & no success.

Before I take her back to dr any advice on something I haven't tried? I'm so frustrated for her always spitting up to point it chokes her & she struggles to breathe. (So scary!) And frustrated fir me that I can't fix this.

~Kristin~
July 31st, 2013, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What dose of Zantac? Ellianna gets .6 three times per day. I also went dairy free (she gets bm). After 2 weeks - I think it is helping a little. She still refluxes - but less pain. The doc said the Zantac takes away the burn (and the reflux is a little less as well). Is it possible she needs more Zantac (depends on weight). Is it possible she needs a formula without milk?

Also the wheezing is the reflux most likely. Ellianna has it. My boys have asthma so I insisted the doc triple check. He concluded it is part of her reflux.

July 31st, 2013, 09:18 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We switched formula 3 times before finding one that works. We are using Similac Sensitive ready to feed. I even notice a difference between the powder and rtf. Jocelyn still projectile vomits about oncea week but her vomiting and spitting up has decreased tons.
sunnydaze likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 31st, 2013, 10:45 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I wish I had some advice. Hang in there!

July 31st, 2013, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My advice would be switch from enfamil. Enfamil is the worst formula out there it has the most GMOs and it's harsh on a babies belly. Top rated baby formula is Gerber good start, even better than most organic formulas out there. I've done my research. So I would suggest switching to Gerber good start gentle. I'll put a link below so u can see the comparisons.

Baby Formula Ratings & Reviews | GoodGuide

July 31st, 2013, 12:05 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
She is on .5 2x a day for Zantac. I have switched her off Enfamil and we are still struggling. She has a dr appt tomirr6 morning. I'm guessing doc will want to up dosage or even change prescription and switch to soy or try another formula. We are on our 3rd brand & type of formula.

~Kristin~
July 31st, 2013, 12:57 PM
Super Mommy
DS was spitting up/projectile vomitting all of the time, but it turned out the Medela Calma (the vacuum is supposed to mimic a breast) allowed him to get the milk out too fast. We switched bottles a few times. Now we use Playtex Nursers and he rarely spits up. We also make sure to take lots of breaks while he is eating to slow him down.
July 31st, 2013, 02:15 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I don't have advice on the formula, but the antacids aren't going to decrease the spit up. Reflux meds just change the pH of the spit up so it doesn't burn when it comes back up. If you still think pain is an issue, then you should look into a different medication.
July 31st, 2013, 08:34 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
we did enfamil gentleease and that didnt work
we switched to soy same results and caused constipation
we are now on nutramagen by enfamil and that has made a world of difference
we have a new happier baby
its really expensive but its been our saving grace with sanity

July 31st, 2013, 09:55 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I had some advice for you. If it makes you feel any better, Lena gets 100% breastmilk and she also has projectile spit up many times a day. She is on zantac 2x a day also. She doesn't seem uncomfortable when she spits up, but it's constant. A couple of times, she had had huge spit ups right down the front of my shirt that collected in my bra... So gross. It doesn't seem to make a difference if she has eaten via nursing or from a bottle, so I don't think it has anything to do with the bottle. She actually only gets one bottle a day. I'm sorry I don't have advice, just wanted to reassure you that it's not you! GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by MarylandMama; July 31st, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
August 1st, 2013, 07:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We use Similac Sensitive here because she had gas issues with an earlier formula.

No more spitting up, and way less crazy gas pains. Still have to burp her every ounce though.

You might also consider trying a soy based formula as that seems to help with colic.

August 1st, 2013, 03:47 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have issues with spit up over here also.

The only formula that helps him is Similac for Spit Up. We like the Ready to Feed even better than the powdered version. He also is on Zantac 2x a day, and we burp every ounce. I never let him get to 2 ounces before burping or he will spit it all back up.

So sorry you are having issues.

August 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Is it possible to up the Zantac and take milk out of her diet? Zantac is based on weight. Ellianna is 11 1/2 pounds and takes .6 three times a day. I also cut dairy out of my diet. We are 2 weeks into this regimen and have had some luck the last 3 days. She still spits - and the Zantac will not stop this. However, when she regurgitates it no longer burns as much. It was so bad that it burned her vocal cords and she was hoarse. Now - not perfect. We have our fussy periods - but they do not last 22 hours a day any longer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search