OT - What to wear to a funeral

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just got word that my husband's grandmother passed this morning. She had been ill for many years and had begun to quickly decline over the last few months. She was in a lot of pain for a long time, and now it's over. It's bittersweet for my husband's family. She'll be missed, but we're glad she doesn't have to suffer anymore.

We're going to be driving to Ohio this weekend for the funeral. I haven't been to a funeral since I was a kid, and I'm not sure exactly what's appropriate to wear these days. Is all-black still the norm? I have a black pencil skirt that goes just past my knees, and black tank tops and camisoles...but no black blouses. I was thinking the pencil skirt, with a black camisole, topped by a dark purple cardigan? Is purple inappropriate? I'll have to go shopping if that doesn't work.

Edit: looking at what I just wrote , "camisole" and "pencil skirt" might sound a bit risque?.... But it's very conservative. The camisole covers my cleavage and the skirt is past my knees. I'm just wondering about the colour purple.

Last edited by Joanne Nicole; July 31st, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
July 31st, 2013, 12:48 PM
Super Mommy
Sorry for your loss.

That sounds perfect. It isn't necessary to wear black at a funeral, just make sure you are wearing something clean and respectful. I typically wear what I would wear to work in an office.
July 31st, 2013, 01:58 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am very old fashioned when it comes to funerals and wear all black. Some younger may say to wear color is OK however there is always likely to be elderly people or relatives at the funeral who would be shocked and scandalized by someone wearing color at a funeral. My best advice is that you wear the skirt and camisole and if you feel it shows too much skin maybe a black jacket or shawl or a shrug. Or if you don't have anything like that then go shopping for a blouse or top that goes well with the skirt or buy a LBD. All women need a LBD in their closet anyways.

July 31st, 2013, 02:11 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I have always worn black and white or gray. I wore a black pant suit and white camisole under the jacket to DH's father's funeral, black skirt and white blouse to my grandmother's memorial service, and a gray dress to my grandfather's funeral. I think subdued colors are fine as long as they are conservative in style. I would think the purple would be okay.
July 31st, 2013, 02:16 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What you describe sounds appropriate, especially if it is a dark purple or plum. I presume there aren't any religious requirements for dress
July 31st, 2013, 03:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think anything conservative is fine. Black, brown, navy, white, cream, maroon, plum, dark green, etc. Be prepared for others to wear a mixture of everything.

Very sorry for your family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search