Ouch!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By phantomsgrl11

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2013, 01:13 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So pumping has been going really well for me til recently my supply has been about 90% of what little man needs. Which has been amazing cause with DD my supply was like maybe 2 oz total for an entire day. Lately my supply has nosedived. Iwent from pumping anywhere from 6 oz at my morning pump and 2-4 oz at each subsequent pumping to all of a sudden the past week I only get maybe 3 oz in the morning and 1 oz at each pumping. Then this morning and last night I got only 4 oz total after the last three pumping and that included this morning. I am eating tons of oatmeal. I am taking fenugreek. I am drinking a ton of water. I am pumping every 2 hours with a good pump. I hold little man when I pump to try and get my milk to flow better. I do one power pump once a day. And my boobs hurt. They are not engorged but deep down they feel like there are threads of fire intermittently inside them. No red lines or anything on them. I have massaged them and put hot compresses on them in case of a blocked duct. I feel like such a failure. I was so happy things were going way better than they did with DD and it just seems my body is constantly fighting against me when it comes to trying to feed my own babies.

July 31st, 2013, 02:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry hon. I find mornings are best for me (this a.m. Elli was sleeping - on DH- and I needed to shower. I pumped 8 ounces. At noon, I can only pump 5 ounces. By 3pm or later, I am down to 3 ounces. Do you pump through the night. Adding 1-2 sessions during the night might help.

July 31st, 2013, 02:26 PM
Yes I pump thru the night. I pump every 2 hours.

July 31st, 2013, 02:28 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I find a pumping session in the middle of the night works best for me. DD has been sleeping almost through the night, so I've had to set my alarm for 1am or else I'm so engorged it wakes me up anyway. By the evening I can barely get anything.

July 31st, 2013, 05:52 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Maybe he was going through a growth spurt and your milk was increased from it and now it's regulated again. Are you getting those amounts and he's nursing? I would love to get that amount after he nursed but I've cut back to 1-2 pumping sessions a day since he nurses so well. He recently started nursing on both sides so I may pick up the pumping again.

July 31st, 2013, 06:23 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you sure you are taking in enough calories? If I get busy and don't eat much, my output plummets. Try a big bowl of alfredo, maybe with some chicken. I find upping protein helps, as well.

July 31st, 2013, 06:37 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Stress always affected my supply more than anything else. Got any stress going on? Or are you stressing about your supply? It's a double edged sword I know and its easier said than done to tell you not to worry.

I find my best pumping sessions are when everyone cooperates. Baby isn't crying, 3 year old is happy doing his own thing and I am not worried at all about what they are getting into. So that usually means movie for the 3 year old and swing/sleeping for the baby. If one of them starts to fuss or anything - my milk almost stops completely. It's so weird because if I'm holding Jackson and he's just crying but I'm not pumping I can feel the let down as my breasts try to feed him. So my advice is get comfortable, play some music you like and zone out. See if it helps.

July 31st, 2013, 09:25 PM
I only pump and little guy rarely nurses as he will suck for over an hour and still be screaming hungry so I pump only as combo of my nipple issues etc it was easier to pump. I have been eating enough but maybe not enough protein and I have been stressed over money problems and my supply so I guess I will try and eat more protein and try not to stress I guess.

August 1st, 2013, 05:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ahhh - it is hard not to stress. It is liking adding stress not to strss on top of everything. Wishing you a huge supply.

August 1st, 2013, 05:30 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DS#1 I would stress so much about having enough for him that it kept making my supply absolutely tank. =( Once I made peace with formula and decided that it was okay to make the switch somehow it took the pressure off and my supply came back.

I know you can't go welp I'm fine with being homeless and just forget about money all together but you can tell yourself that everything is going to work out.

I hate the failure status that our minds like to place on ourselves so often. I don't even know how to phrase it but having two C-sections, not being able to breastfeed but pumping exclusively both times makes me feel like I'm such a failure at being a woman. I know I'm a good mom but I suck as a woman if that makes sense. It's all in my head. I heard that evil little voice that talks to me in you when you made the comment about not being able to breastfeed again and when discussing your supply with your first. Chin up. You are doing amazing! We are so hard on ourselves aren't we?
MamaSkunk likes this.

August 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM
That is exactly how I feel I feel like I get a giant fail when it comes to breastfeeding. With DD she wouldn't latch and my supply was awful. This time I got little guy to latch on one side but then each time he would nurse for over an hour and be screaming hungry and if I pumped afterwards it was like he only managed to get a half an ounce out. So I started exclusively pumping and still couldn't keep up entirely even though I did everything to help boost my supply it still isn't as good as it should be and then when my supply tanks even more I felt like a complete failure and like my body was conspiring against me. And I know its awful but when I hear someone complain of oversupply or that they chose to formula feed just cause it was inconvient for them to breastfeed I want to scream in frustration. I definitely have that evil voice and it nags me every few hours.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search