Beginning to pump

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2013, 01:05 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been ebfing Eva since she was born. I just got my pumpnsuran from the insurance company. I want to start building up a stash for when I go back to work and I would also like to introduce the bottle and perhaps have dh give one at night to help with my sleep deprivation. I am wondering when I should add in a pumping session. The past few days I have just done it whenever like if she was sleeping but I only did one side so she would have the other side it she woke up. Should it be a more consistent time everyday though?

August 1st, 2013, 04:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, you should do it with consistent time intervals. So, every other feeding session pump from one side. Or pick your times during the day (morning pump, afternoon pump, evening, etc). You'll get basically nothing for the first few days and then it will gradually buildup And remember, once you're at work you'll get more because you're not nursing. Just make sure to pump at the exact same times.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

August 1st, 2013, 05:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I usually find I have extra in the morning and not 1/2 ounce to spare at night. That might just be me though. If lo sleeps through a feeding, take that opp as well.

August 1st, 2013, 06:08 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I got into the habit of pumping the side that Zack didn't nurse from. I would average about 2 oz each time. More in the am and overnight. I have 2 large zip lock bags full of 6 oz storage bags full as backup. I stopped for a bit and only pumped after his first feeding of the day and after his last feeding before bed but I'm about to pick back up so I can build up my supply for his nursing sessions.
August 1st, 2013, 06:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The LC I talked to said for me to pump after every daytime feeding. That's because I have two babies draining both breasts but I've found that I generally have an oversupply and even after a feed I can usually get 2-3oz total. So I usually just try to find a morning time that I can pump. Usually its in the car haha. Only place that I can't be holding one of them so it's really the only time I have. I don't pump much but I'm hoping as they get more into a routine then I can add more in. I have to get at least 3oz a day to have enough for the first few days of school. I would like to be ahead enough for a week at least.
August 1st, 2013, 08:14 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just pump whenever I can. With both kids, there is no way I can do the same times every day. She gets 1 bottle a day, if any. I try to get at least 5 pumping sessions a day on top of her nursing and 6 if I can. I try to pump at least 15 mins each time. I get 15-20 oz a day, on average, usually the lower end of that. I have stored about 4.5 gallons since I started June 20. It is sloooooow going at first, like less than an oz after 20 mins, but it increases as you keep it up. You will usually get more first thing in the am and less later in the evening.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search