Latch Help

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Both of the boys(Corbin more so than Nolan) are doing a sort of clamping latch. It doesn't hurt me but I'm concerned they aren't getting a good enough latch to get suck properly. I tried to take pictures this morning but you can't really see what they are doing because in the picture they seem to look ok. They don't do it the whole time but they just don't really stay latched anymore. I'm not spraying them with milk anymore so I can't really tell if its the fast flow or not. I know they still get choked sometimes, more often in the mornings.

Corbin also doesn't really open his mouth as wide anymore...it's like he almost tries to "suck" it in rather than actually latch on. This is a new thing he's been doing. Nolan now latches on and then keeps pulling away but still latched on. Is he just playing with me?

We're having plenty of wet and poopy diapers. Corbin's still green except for one or two poops a day.

The LC I talked to said as long as they aren't hurting me then they should be ok. That I would know and feel pain if it was wrong. She didn't seem concerned at all but I met her in the hospital a few times and I didn't like her at all. She wasn't helpful at all then and I'm not sure I trust her now.
August 2nd, 2013, 09:07 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
If you have a strong let down, babies can learn to clamp down to lessen the flow. It's there way of adaptation. Even if your let down isn't as strong or if they are bigger now and can handle it, they can do the clamping on instincts anticipation. The sucking in is more related to the bottle and eventually they will be able to master both suctions. In the mean time, be very consistent with unlatching and encouraging a wide open mouth before you bring them to the breast.

As for the pulling away when latched, it can be a couple of things. If he is expecting a strong let down, it could be his way of adapting to it or he could be frustrated because it doesn't instantly flow like the bottle does. Try hand expressing or pumping until you have a letdown to see if that helps.

If you nurse while you are laying back and the babies are laying on their stomachs over your breast, they can better handle a strong flow.
August 2nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, the one who pulls away hasn't had a bottle in a month and even then it was maybe 5 bottles, I think. He didn't do well when I tried pumping and really just wanted me. Corbin hasn't had a bottle in three weeks ( or close to) and he just recently starting trying to suck it in rather than latch. I try to encourage a more open mouth but the usual tricks of getting him to open aren't working. The LC told me to lean into him to get him to open his mouth more but instead he clamps down and then unlatches all together until I put him back on.
August 2nd, 2013, 09:43 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
It does sound like it is because of the flow. No bottles for Corbin in 3 weeks?!? Thats wonderful! Honestly? I think you are doing amazing! Payson sometimes does that sucking thing too, its a suck with a lip smack. I just wait until she is ready and relatch her. I know it is easy to pay attention to every tiny thing they are doing and you just want to make sure you are doing it right but you are doing it right and they are proof. Try not to stress so much and enjoy those boys!

August 2nd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks. I forgot that he had a bottle when they did his ultrasound so it's really been two weeks since his last bottle but that wasn't a feed it was to watch him swallow. His last bottle to replace a feeding was 3 weeks ago. I weighed him yesterday and he weighed 8lb 11oz. He was 7lb 14oz on the 18th. So going off that he has gained exactly an ounce a day.
August 2nd, 2013, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Katie - first let nme say you are doing great. Second just a little advice from a Mom who cried buckets over bottle rejection. If you plan to return to work at 12 weeks or even within the first 6 months, you may want to do a bottle a day. It is great to do 100% nursing - unless you have to return to work and use a bottle. It took me until child 3 to learn my lesson The lactation consultant with my first son said wait until like 6 weeks to try a bottle - way too late. He screamed until he was 9 months every time he had to take the bottle. My second son was some better. With Ellianna - we started at day 5. Some would say that was wrong. The good thing now though is that she loves breast and bottle. I am back at work and one thing I need not worry about is the bottle. Again - please do not take this (anyone) as a lecture. Just something I learned the third time around.

August 2nd, 2013, 03:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Kim. We for a few days had planned to do a bottle a night for both. Then Corbin had all of his issues and I needed all my pumped milk for him. I didn't have enough to give any to Nolan. I do know that both will take a bottle so I'm hoping that since they both have taken the bottles fine before that it will be ok when I go back to work in 3 weeks. I would gladly give them a bottle a day if I had enough milk but I only have 41oz frozen and I want to get ahead at least a few days for the babysitter I'd love to even be ahead a week.
August 2nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
As long as your getting enough dirty diapers you are fine. My son had the oddest latch but is now 7 months old and going strong. Sometimes he's lazy and just expects the milk to fall out sometimes he latches like a pro. Over time they will get it, every baby figures it out differently. But if they weren't getting milk you'd know it. Fussy, no wet diapers, a constant need to nurse. I'm sure your doing fine!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search