Pumps

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2013, 05:21 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I don't pump much, usually once a day just so I can have some milk in the freezer for future times that I'll be away from Porter or so Daddy can feed him every now and then. I have the Dr. Brown's double electric pump, which cost me around $250-$300, I forget exactly how much. I'm lucky if I can get an ounce combined from both sides when I pump. We are in MO visiting my husbands family this weekend and I wanted to be able to pump in the car & give him the bottles so we wouldn't have to stop every 2 hours for me to nurse him. I bought a single manual Medala pump a couple of weeks ago planning to use that bc I didn't have a car charger for mine. I was unable to get any milk with that thing! So, I was at walmart the night before we left and unsure what I was going to do. I went to the baby section and saw a $40 Evenflo single electric pump that took batteries, so I bought it. Umm, it works SO much better than my expensive one! I pumped 3 ounces combined everytime I pumped in the car (which I realize is in part due to my not nursing in addition), but I stopped it every time with milk still coming out because I knew I didn't need more than that. So I probably could have gotten a lot more! Today I pumped like I normally would with it and got two ounces just off one side! (Instead of the normal 10 mls or half an ounce) I can't believe it. I mean, I'm glad I found something more efficient, but it's crazy to me that the cheaper one works so much better than the expensive one! I will probably be using this one from now on instead!
August 2nd, 2013, 06:25 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Great find. I use the manual Medela single pump and do well with it. I used to have a playtex electric and it sucked!

August 2nd, 2013, 06:30 PM
I literally couldn't get a drop with the manual one! I tried several times with the same result. I'm so glad I found the other one! Made our trip much quicker than it would have been if we had to stop for him to nurse!
August 3rd, 2013, 04:22 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got a Medela manual one in desperation a couple of weeks ago when we were out of town and I forgot my charger for the my Medela Freestyle. I got almost nothing the first time I tried it and then after 12 hours of nursing only and no pumping, I was so horribly engorged that I finally got some real output, but only enough to help my boobs not explode. It was awful!

So glad you found a pump that works for you. Maybe you could sell the one you don't like?

August 3rd, 2013, 05:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I work outside of the home full time (including traveling) and got the Medela advanced pump in style (luckily my insurance covered it - although I do not feel bad about using the insurance to the max since I have crazy co-insurance deductibles for the birth). It works great. I have an adapted for the car and it also comes with a battery pack. If I do not nurse and go 4 hours I can pump 6-8 ounces in the morning and early afternoon (night is not good). Although if I have on my mind that i need to hurry, I literally get nothing. I had a similar one with my first two children, then lent it to a woman with twins, and then to another co-worker (when it ultimately died). Given that the first one was good for pumping to feed 5 kids, I cannot complain. Just need this one to work for one child

August 3rd, 2013, 09:11 AM
I should have gone with that one to begin with! I think the Dr Brown's one just doesn't have enough suction or something. I've tried all kinds of settings with it and still get about the same result, which isn't very much!
August 3rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought the Ameda Purely Yours and love it. The funny thing is, it is a double electric pump, but I find that I can pump more if I pump one side at a time. I have mastered the art of pumping while driving, which is convenient seeing as I travel quite a bit for work.

August 3rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
Nice. I don't know if I could manage that quite yet!
August 3rd, 2013, 07:36 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Yeah I used my manual one some with my youngest daughter and from the very beginning with Zack that might be why I have good luck with it. I can get 2-3 oz off the side he doesn't nurse from.

August 4th, 2013, 05:22 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaV View Post
I have mastered the art of pumping while driving, which is convenient seeing as I travel quite a bit for work.
I got really good at this when I EPed for Anna. It was really awkward when I was pulled over once for speeding. I was covered with a jacket and switched off the pump. The cop was nice and had a look on his face like, "I really don't want to know what is going on under there." He gave me a warning and sent me on my way.
TeresaV likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search