Your thoughts on food (for when baby gets much older) Sort of OT.

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By beatlechicksteph
  • 1 Post By Mom2LillieAidan
  • 3 Post By zkat
  • 3 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 3 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By hilachu
  • 1 Post By mommy220
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2013, 10:32 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, so I'm really not one to say "I'll never let my kid (insert act here)" because I know life and children are ever changing. Quick back story to what my issue is: My mom tells me the other day that my step father let my 4 year old niece eat ice cream and chips for breakfast because that is what she wanted. My mom shook her head and then I reminded her that the last time I was over there, she let my niece eat an ice cream cone for supper instead of having a hot dog, hamburger, pasta salad, potato salad, corn, or fruit salad that was available to her (we were having a cook out). She just laughed. I thought that my sister might be upset about this, but on facebook this morning she posted that my niece wanted an ice cream sandwich and bacon for breakfast and her response was "why not!". Okay...so I understand that kids can be picky, but my niece is not. She will eat an entire container of cherry tomatoes without blinking, she loves strawberries, loves veggies too. So why not something like yogurt (which she also loves) and fruit? I don't mind the bacon part at all, but the ice cream sandwich for a meal? I get that it's dairy and all...but...? I'm really trying not to judge, but I really can't see myself letting Anna eat ice cream for a meal. I also don't want to say that I won't since there might come a day when she won't eat anything else. But...when not given the CHOICE of having ice cream, won't she get hungry enough to eat something a little more healthy for a meal? Also, don't get me wrong - I'm not always a breakfast food type of person so I get that things might need to be adjusted that way....but ice cream for breakfast?

So basically the topic is: do you (for btdt moms) or will you let your kids have things like ice cream or chips for a meal?

This is not meant to be a contest of who is the best/worst mom or cause any arguments, I'm honestly just curious how often this happens and if it's something I'll be experiencing in a few years myself. Or if this really is something I can say that I won't ever do and not have to eat my words later?

Discuss!

August 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I'll ever let Arthur have ice cream or chips for a meal. I mean, I could understand for like a treat, but not for a complete meal. I plan (and I know plans change) to use junk food as sort of a reward, or treat, something he'll appreciate because he doesn't get it that often, or just after he eats a regular meal. I can see chips WITH a meal, like at a picnic or for lunch, but never for an entire meal. I know this means DH and I will have to change our eating habits, because we're the type to have popcorn for supper and nothing else.
eshute likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
August 3rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
*I* don't. But if we're visiting grandparents and they want to spoil my kids a little bit by giving them ice cream for breakfast? Why not? Once in a while isn't going to hurt them.
August 3rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lillie has never asked for ice cream for breakfast but she has asked for candy and that was a big fat no! As for ice cream, I would probably say no to that as well. Frozen yogurt, might be a different story. But I have a kid who loves breakfast foods. Eggs, toast, waffles, fruit, bagels, etc.. She'll eat it all. And the kid loves her bacon.

But when she does try to ask for something treat-like for a meal, I just tell her that if she eats all of her food, she can have whatever it is.
beatlechicksteph likes this.

#1, 4, 5, 7
August 3rd, 2013, 01:39 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Never say never

We are very healthy eaters and B1 eats just about anything except ham or beef hotdogs but sometimes he eats french fries for a meal. Here is what happens. You got to chick fil a and order a grilled nugget kids meal with fruit cup. We usually order 1 lg fry to share. Your 2 yr eats a handful of french fries andsome grapes and is full. You cant force him to eat when he is full. We usually keep the french fries hidden until he is done, but it doesnt always work. So now he ate FF and grapes for dinner.

Depending on what she normally eats for breakfast, the ice cream may be healthier. .5 cup of ice cream abg 18 g of sugar and 2poptarts is 40.

At Christmas Bourne ate PB cookies for breakfast. My SIL refused to let mynephew eat one, butgave him poptarts instead. Really? The cookies had 8 grams of sugar each.
4hearts, overlinmommy17 and eshute like this.
August 3rd, 2013, 02:32 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't just give DD sweets in exchange for a meal on normal occasions nor do I use sweets or junk food as a bribe as that teaches them its better than healthier food. My DD loves her fruits and veggies but she will sometimes ask for ice cream or sweets etc and sometimes you have to just say what the heck. Sometimes you have to let loose a little and not always nag or do what's right with kids but instead do what's fun. And sometimes its fun watching your child light up as they get to do something exciting like have a big ice cream sundae for dinner. And there will be those days where they ask and you just don't want to deal with the fight that you know will ensue if you say no. You can say you won't do something with your child as a FTM...but you never know until you are dealing with that situation either. As a BTDT mom I've learned to never say never lol
LisaS, 4hearts and eshute like this.

August 3rd, 2013, 02:45 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
My son eats mac n cheese for breakfast regularly. He is very picky . I usually will not allow candy or ice cream for an entire meal though but sometimes u just do what u gotta do! Haha!

August 3rd, 2013, 04:27 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All great insight!

August 3rd, 2013, 07:00 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am like Karrie. I will not use food as a punishment or reward. I also refuse tobattle over food or mealtime. Very early on, B ate what we ate. If he didnt like it, he got 1 healthy alternative (i keepCooked chicken breast in the freezer but his alternative is a sandwhich now that he is older) or he can have any fruit/vegetable in the house. If he doesnt eat any of the options, that is fine but he doesnt get any treats until he does. We have popscicles, animal crackers etc as treats.

He can have fruit anytime of the day, as well as the low sugar yogurts and cheese. We have also come to realize that a meal to him may be a little cutie, 2slices of cheese and apple slices. The one thing i refuse to do is allow him to eat junk (nuggets, pizza,chips etc) if he refuses to eat regular dinner.

You will have to figure out what your food style is -just like your parenting. It also changes with each kid and age
shen7, eshute and MamaSkunk like this.
August 3rd, 2013, 07:42 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
DS is not too big on ice cream ( i think he thinks we can only get it at the ice cream store =) but i dont think id ever let him eat it as a meal
he'll ask for popsicles for a meal on occasion but i just tell him once he finishes real meal he can have one, generally causes a meltdown but i just ignore it
he will eat randomly weird combos of food though
yesterday he had two pieces of cinnamon raisin bread and a bowl of honey smacks with milk for dinner
eshute likes this.

August 4th, 2013, 05:08 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dd is 5.5 years old. I always try to give her some good food first. She loves her sweets and always wants whatever it is that we have. For the sweets, I try to buy the healthiest junk food I can ( if there is such a thing) . Like organic fig newtons, slow churned ice cream, all real fruit Popsicles, real fruit leather etc. I feel like she eats a ton of sugar though and I think it's because she always wants something sweet but doesn't eat much fresh fruit etc. she's not really picky but when it comes down to eating it she will just eat a few bites. We have had ice cream for lunch though bc if we are out in town and decide to stop and get an ice cream cone, it may be right before lunch so I'm not going to drive 20 minutes home and then drive back. So in cases like that we do, but I will serve a late lunch. She definitely has a sweet tooth like her daddy. If he goes shopping with her they always come back with candy which I don't really like when we have stuff at home. I do let her have cinnamon buns for breakfast Christmas morning.
eshute likes this.

August 4th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmm - my 8 and 10 year old never asked for ic for breakfast (would if they thought of it). Would probably not permit it However, we have had ice cream for dinner on an occassion or two when we had a large lunch and were not too hungry. I recall one time we had a sit down lunch at Disney World. Time got away from us at dinner time and pretty soon it was late and hot. Yep - all had sundaes As long as it is that once in a year happening - hey. We go to Disney every year and usually one day have breakfast at the Main Street Bakery which is a huge cinamom bun which is not at all healthy. Again though, I am OK as a special treat.
eshute likes this.

August 4th, 2013, 02:37 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
No to ice cream as just the meal, but that's probably not any different sugar-wise than what they currently eat for breakfast. My girls love fruits and veggies, so they get plenty of them at lunch and dinner. We rarely give them dessert after dinner. So I don't really panic over them having a poptart or French toast sticks at breakfast. They usually have nonfat yogurt as well. They rarely drink juice too so they don't have too many empty calories. I don't mind treats now and again.

When it comes to them refusing to eat the meal that I fixed, then they will go without. I keep their taste in mind when meal planning, so if the main dish is new, then the veggie and side item are things they like. I do not make alternatives.
eshute likes this.
August 4th, 2013, 03:05 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't let my child eat ice cream for a meal but if they are visiting grandparents and they want to spoil, why not?

Kiefer is an extremely picky eater, Jaleigh is not. Jaleigh will eat anything an everything and not think twice about it. Kiefer will sometimes not even eat his favorite foods, just depends on his mood. I usually have a healthy alternative for if he decides not to eat what we are having but sometimes even that doesn't work. At that point, he has two choices: eat one of the meals I have offered him or go without. This may seem harsh to some but it's the only thing that works for him. Otherwise, he will just get down from his high chair and immediately start asking for treat-like foods. This tactic works pretty good for us.

All of this aside, I'm not above letting him eat oatmeal or cereal for dinner. They are two standbys that he will usually eat and since we don't buy sugary cereal, I know it is healthier than other things he would be asking for.

August 4th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If my kids asked me to have anything but what I consider breakfast food...cereal, eggs, waffles, ect. I would say NO. If she wanted to eat just chips I would say no. Has it happened that she only ended up eating the chips from a meal yep. Have we eaten ice cream before dinner and then not been that hungry for dinner. Yep! We I pregnant I went ice cream sundae cones by the boxs weekly lol. But normally we eat balanced meals on a regular basis.
So I say once in awhile sure, a spurge at gmas it's not gonna kill em however if it was starting to be a trend I would stop it quick.
eshute likes this.

August 4th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If it was a rare thing I wouldn't think much about it and try to offer better things during the rest of the day.

I don't think I would ever offer ice cream or acknowledge the request if it was made at a meal time but I wouldn't get too worked up about it. I know my kid will eat basically junk when with grandparents because all of his grandparents want to spoil my kids a bunch. I just try to offer more balanced stuff when Alex is at home (Rory is too young for that nonsense, lol).

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

August 5th, 2013, 02:53 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anna will be in just a couple of weeks. She is a picky eater, but not the usual kind. She will eat almost any fruit, several vegetables, any dairy products, and not much in the way of meat at all. Breakfast usually includes eggs, sometimes french toast or pancakes and always some fruit. She mostly eats fruit and cheese throughout the day. She will also eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She looooooooooves macaroni and cheese, but it's not the icky boxed kind. I make the cheese sauce from real cheese and milk and the noodles are whole wheat pasta. I try to put other things in there (like chicken) but when I do, she usually won't eat it.

She does absolutely love cookie, ice cream, and cake. Cake/cupcakes are for special occasions. We make cookies a few times a year and maybe once a week she gets organic oatmeal cinnamon cookies that I buy. We may get ice cream out for a special treat or she gets tubes of frozen yogurt (like gogurt but organic and with less sugar) that she calls ice cream. These are her favorite.

Now, with all that said, I am the mom who, once in a blue moon, will let her have ice cream or cake for dinner (like if there is leftover cake after a birthday party). She has also had cake for breakfast once or twice. These are certainly rare, like once every few months, but I do it and I do it on purpose. Ice cream or cake for dinner is fun and special. It really isn't going to hurt her (especially if it's actually yogurt) and when she is an adult, she'll look back and smile at her silly Mommy who let her eat that stuff for dinner once in a while. I want my kids to have memories to look back on and smile. She won't ever remember a dinner of chicken and carrots, but she'll remember how she got to have a big slice of her birthday cake for dinner the next day bc that is just how Mom was. That's my take on it. (To be clear, she does NOT get a special meal of cake or ice cream if I have asked her to eat something else and she refuses. If she wants to have some kind of dessert outside of my specially planned treat meals, she has to eat the healthy food first. If she doesn't, absolutely no dessert food. She actually missed out on a cupcake last night at my parents' house bc she wouldn't eat her dinner. My dad wanted to give it to her anyway. I put a quick stop to that. I want to be in control of the junk. She can't be in control of it.)
eshute likes this.

Last edited by MarylandMama; August 5th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search