Flat spot

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2013, 06:32 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, today I noticed that there is the SLIGHTEST flat spot on the back of Morgan's head, kind of off to the right side a bit. I Googled it and got tons of articles about how 47% of babies have flat spots on the backs of their heads now due to the recommendation that they sleep on their backs. Honestly, the spot could just be the normal shape of her head, and she has too much hair to actually see it, but I'm paranoid about it. I'm pretty good about changing where in her crib she sleeps and not letting her lay on her back or in her car seat too much. Does anyone else notice this with their LOs?

August 8th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My DD was bald as a cue ball and I was so freaked about every bump and asymmetry in her head!! I looked at all those webpages about the flat spots and helmets and everything. I asked about it at her 2 month and 6 month appointments and both times the doctor laughed and said, "yeah, classic first-time-mom concern, she's fine!" and recommended I start taking a close look at people's heads, no one has a perfectly symmetrical head, you just usually don't notice because of hair.

That said, I do know a mom whose son had a bit of a funny shaped head, and the pediatrician noticed right away at one of her well baby checks, and examined more closely, and apparently one of his soft spots or sutures or whatever had fused too early. Luckily they caught it early enough that it could be fixed with surgery and it did not impact his brain development. But apparently that is a condition that can cause rather severe mental disability if left untreated.

Moral of the story, ask your doctor but I'm sure it's nothing!

August 8th, 2013, 08:59 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anna has a flat spot. The thing is, she moves her head from side to side during naps and throughout the night and we do plenty of tummy time. I think it's just inevitable now that babies have to sleep on their backs. The pedi looked at Anna's at her appt 2 days ago after I asked her about it (she had already looked at/felt her head) and said it wasn't anything to be concerned about and once she started sitting up that it'd go away.

August 8th, 2013, 11:07 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Does she freely move her head both ways equally?

August 9th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our second got this. Once he got hair, you could not notice it. Hope he is not a bald guy later in life.

August 9th, 2013, 02:30 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I was overreacting. I cannot find a flat spot today. Yes, she does move her head from side to side, but she does seem to favor looking a certain direction while in her crib. I switch which direction she is lying every night so that she is resting on the opposite side. I Googled flat spots and saw some pretty crazy flat spots on some babies' heads. I can understand why some of the more severe cases require helmets or other medical treatments.

August 9th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I freak out over this too and have considered ordering them a tortle

Tortle | Prevent Flat Head Syndrome
August 10th, 2013, 08:48 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
David had torticollis, which is when they favor one side so much the muscle in the next shortens and they physically can't move their head the other way. He had to go to physical therapy. It caused a large flat spot and we had an evaluation for a helmet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search