Breastmilk question

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I go back to work on the 26th. I'm pretty sure DH will be watching them that day so if need be he could bring them to me to nurse if he ran out but they average about 11 to 12 nursing sessions a day. When I pumped Corbin took about 2.5 oz each time. Sometimes only 2 or even 1.5.

I'm planning on sending a 2.5oz bottle for each feeding which is every two hours. Does this sound right?

From the frozen milk, I know once it is thawed that it needs to be used within 24 hours but what about once it is warmed? When does it need to be used by. I'm just thinking that what if they don't take it and leave some when can it be used by. I'm not really able to find the time to pump much and have I have 50oz in the freezer. Which isn't a lot for two babies so I just want to try and make sure we don't waste any. For my first day back DH can thaw that morning but I will have to thaw the night before when they go to the babysitter.

How is everyone else handling this?
August 9th, 2013, 06:24 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Milk Storage Guidelines

Basically, milk that is "leftover" can probably be saved for the next feeding, but the jury is out. Unfortunately there is no rule as to how much you need for a given time period. John sometimes takes more than 4oz in a feeding, other times only wants an ounce or two. I *personally* will refrigerate extra milk and use it for the next feeding. And, honestly, we don't usually heat the bottles, just make sure they are equivalent to "room temp" before feeding.

Good luck and I hope that helps. I mainly want to say that I have UTMOST RESPECT for you for breastfeeding your babies. You are a goddess!
MamaSkunk likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

August 9th, 2013, 08:44 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I typically take 20 oz a day, but he usually has 5 oz left. I take what i pumped the day before. Muriel also has a can of formula just in case.

Bodhi tends to nt take his last feeding with her and will hold out o nurse when we get home. He also nurses just before we leave.

We also refidgerate fir the next feeding. We also did it with B1. Tge only time we ouldnt is if it was out over an hour, then i toss it.
August 10th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ellianna takes 3 1/2 ounce bottles. Sometimes she eats every 2 hours sometimes every 4 if she was napping. How much in a day depends on when I last nursed and how long I am gone. On average she eats 1 1/2 ounces per hour during the day.

August 10th, 2013, 08:42 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not had to do this for Lena yet, but I did with Anna. I EPed, so we did this every day. She took about 30 oz a day, so we thawed milk for the day in the morning before leaving the house by putting the bags of frozen milk in a cup of cold water (so it didn't get warm) for about half an hour to an hour. We then made up the bottles. Early on, they were 3 oz bottles. Lena takes closer to 3.5 or 4 when we give her bottles (she is my little piggy). We also gave the babysitter a bag of frozen milk to keep in her freezer in case Anna got hungrier and she needed more milk. If she had to use that, she would send what she didn't use home with us and we would make sure to use it within 24 hours. That let us be conservative with what we sent and reduce the risk of waste.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search