CD Question

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I want to purchase a cloth diaper cover to have when we have a special event going on and a blow out would just not be good. (We had yet another one this morning. I purchased these baby gap V-Day jammies for Elli on a super sale (like almost free). Every time she wears them, she has a blow out - sorta like her telling me, mama really V-day jammies in August. )

Anyway, one lady recommended the Thirsty diaper cover. I saw them online at Target and want to order one. My plan is to place it over the regular diaper. (She currently wears a size 1 and if I go up in size, it is way too droopey). She is 12 pounds 1 ounce and 24 inches long. What size would you ladies recommend I purchase. They are available at Target online only, so I cannot look at them in the store.

I was also thinking of just trying some cloth diapers on the weekend. My Mom watches Ellianna while I work and there is no way she will use cloth diapers. (And she is so great with my kids that this is not a fight I can have. She was 100% against bf when I decided to bf our first child. I got told so many times how dumb it was, how babies are better on formula and how ds would be happier with formula - flash forward, She was neutral about bf with our second son. Now, she is 100% supportive of bf'ing. So, doing things differently than she did takes time for her to adjust. Given that Ellianna is 100% sure our last child - no use trying to introduce CD - especially when I am not sure I would even like them. However, if I was to "try" CD on the weekend, other than the diaper cover, what would I need? I did read about how to wash them, so I am OK with that.

Ok my - what is happening to me. I am such a NON "crunchy mama" (and I mean that in a respectful way). And this time I really want to make Ellianna's baby food with organic veggies and even "try" CD.

August 11th, 2013, 07:02 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haha, I am totally with you. I was so vocal against CD before, about how gross it is, and now I am obsessed. What you need depends on what kind of system you go with. I know there are ladies on here who can give you info on all different kinds. I have only used the Softbums system but we LOVE them. I can't even tell you how much. Definitely at least give it a look. They have one option that is an AI2 (you snap in a new insert each time, but you can reuse the cover) and another that you can use like an AI2, but it also has a pocket. If you used a stuffed pocket, your mom might not mind since it works just like a disposable, except you don't throw it away. We like the AI2 thing. Since you can reuse the cover, it cuts down on laundry. We use the bamboo pods (inserts that snap in) because they are trimmer and more absorbent than the microfiber. We also found that the microfiber irritated Lena's skin. The bamboo are pricer, but they are having a sale right now if you buy 5 super pods (a big one that covers the whole inside of the diaper and a mini for doubling), you get one free. That runs until 8/31. You also don't have to worry about sizing for these diapers. The legs have elastic that you adjust to fit your baby exactly and you can get the closures in velcro or snaps. We go velcro. For a weekend, if you only wanted to do diaper laundry once, I would get 6-8 shells (covers) and 20-24 pods if you do it as an AI2. To use the pockets, you need one shell for each diaper change. We use the pockets with the full super pod at night and the AI2 with just the large pod during the day. With that, you should be able to CD for 2 days without having to do laundry. And since they are really one size, you won't have to buy anything else beyond that. I tried one on Anna before Lena was born just to see and it got big enough to fit her and it wasn't fully expanded, she is about to turn 3, but is as big as the 4 year olds at her preschool. The start up is pretty pricey, but if you compare it to all of the sized covers you would buy, it may come out cheaper, depending on what you would get. Again, I cannot say enough how much we love this system. It is perfect for us.

Good luck!

August 11th, 2013, 10:23 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
If you just want a Thirsties cover, I'd recommend the duo wrap size two. It might be a little big at first but she's getting too big for size one. A similar cover that I like better is Bummis Super Brites.

I use a variety of diapers. At home I prefer prefolds and covers. They're cheap and easy to wash. When my kids get a little bigger I use pockets and AIOs. BumGenius worked well for Lily, but Fuzzibunz worked best for Abri.
MerinSun likes this.
August 13th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I second the Thirsties duo wrap. Leif is in size one at the largest setting right now. That fits a small size prefold perfectly which is what I would recommend if you would go the cloth diaper route. I love my prefolds and covers. My all time go to if Im just at home. I do have a new love for bumgenius diapers which are pockets. Great diaper too especially for caretakers. I use a snappi with my prefolds instead of pins. I also just use a wet bag to store my dirty diapers at home. I get my prefolds from greenmountain diapers online. I get almost all my other diapers from Kellyscloset. On kellyscloset, they have a cloth diaper 101 section if you have any questions. I am new to cloth diapering and I LOVE it so much. I occasionally use disposable and I feel like Im wrapping my baby in a newspaper. haha.
August 13th, 2013, 05:47 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also love the prefold/cover system. I got my prefolds from Nicki's Diapers. I have a bunch of different covers. I like my bummis or econobum covers the best. If Grayson didn't pee a small waterfall every hour I would still be using the prefolds. I have had to move on to double stuffed pockets.

August 13th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love my thirsties but if you are wanting a complete part-time system without investing much I recommend Econobums. You can even get 1 cover with 3 prefolds at diaper junction.com for $12.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

August 14th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the other ladies!! Lots of great advice here. I think Econobum covers are awesome, but have heard mixed reviews on the quality of their prefolds, however they are super cheap and great to start out for not much money. I like Thisties Duos a lot. Your baby is JUST big enough to fit at the smallest setting of a One Size (OS) diaper, as well. You might want to check out the Flip system, Flips are my favorite covers and you can use them with any insert/prefold/whatever, they also have a disposable insert which might be a happy medium for you (or "gateway drug" ), since you have the blowout prevention from the cover but can throw away the dirty insert. Of course you can also use the insert with any cover!

August 14th, 2013, 10:10 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love the thirsties duo as well, but with Henry I tried a few random covers and the one I always reach for first is the Swaddlebees Capri. The gussets in that thing are impenetrable, I swear, and it fits him really well. I wish I had more. If you're just experimenting, I'd recommend buying used since it can take a while to figure out what you like and what fits the best. With DD fuzzibunz fit great because she was so skinny but I'm really having a hard time getting them to work on Henry because he's a major chunk.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search