Sahms

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Mom2LillieAidan
  • 4 Post By Joanne Nicole
  • 1 Post By beatlechicksteph
  • 1 Post By bribugg13

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2013, 03:41 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
How are you adjusting to being a sahm?
What does your typical day look like?
Did you always want to be a sahm?

August 14th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love being a SAHM. I love waking up with my babies and spending my days with them.
Typically Aidan and I are up between 5 and 7, he eats then goes back to sleep. Mostly, we just hang out at home.
Being a SAHM is what I've actually always wanted. I want to be that constant presence at home for my kids, there when they get home from school, etc.
princess136 likes this.

#1, 4, 5, 7
August 14th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been a SAHM since Fiona was 3 and it's been wonderful. It is what I've always wanted...I never really found a job or career that I loved, but I love being a SAHM.

School hasn't started yet, and right now Fiona isn't in any activities, so our days are pretty relaxed. Whenever I'm feeding Finn, she's allowed to play educational games on her computer to keep her occupied (ABCmouse.com is awesome!) and we try to get some outside time everyday. We've been picnicking at the park a lot lately - Finn loves to lay on the blanket and look up at the clouds while Fiona plays. Other than that, we have a little schedule that we try to follow. Make Something Monday - arts and crafts projects galore! Time to Read Tuesday - we take a trip to the library. What's Cooking Wednesday - Fiona picks out a recipe and we make it together. Thoughtful Thursday - we write letters to family and friends that live far away. And Fun Friday - getting out of the house and doing something fun, like the splashpad park, or going to the zoo, etc. So that's been our routine for the summer. Once school starts, she starts back up with several after school activities, so we'll be busy busy busy!

August 14th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How are you adjusting to being a sahm? I left a career in science/research when pregnant with DD. Honestly I started out really idealistic about my work but I was sort of burned out and cynical about things by the end, I had a lot of feelings that my work was pointless and just for money. Once DH started making more and I had an excuse to get out of it, I did. Being a SAHM feels a lot more important and like I'm doing something in the world that makes a difference to someone. I do sort of miss the peacefulness of organizing and explaining data and I do plan to return to work eventually, but I don't mind doing so in a reduced capacity and lower level. I want to just sit in a room and do what people ask me to do, and not worry about proposals or funding or the big picture. Lol.

What does your typical day look like? It's been in flux a lot since right now I'm still sort of an invalid with my pubic bone birth injury. DH or my mom gets DD ready and off to preschool, I just lie around feeding G, do physical therapy, laundry and light cleaning, and play with G and let him sleep on me. I try to play with M and connect with her for awhile when she gets home from preschool (my mom picks her up), and I try to get in some cooking or plan what we'll do for dinner. DH comes home early and takes M to play at the park. Once I'm better, I'll be taking M to preschool on the days she has school (3x/wk in the morning) (and trying to get groceries and errands done then!!), and other days have her all day so we'll go to the park or on playdates and I'll just tow G along with us. I want to reconnect with some of my local mom friends and socialize more with them.

Did you always want to be a sahm? No, I didn't really know what I wanted to be when I grew up but my mom was a SAHM and I knew if/when I did have kids, I'd probably want to stay home with them.

August 14th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
How are you adjusting to being a sahm? I love being a sahm. I have my insane moments but I would not trade a single moment of it Adjusting to 3 still has its up and downs and we're dealing but I'm loving it and feel like we are complete now
What does your typical day look like? We get up, eat, play, clean up, eat, play, naps, eat, spend time together and then get ready for bed. Not a ton of excitement
Did you always want to be a sahm? I've always knew I wanted to stay home when we had kids. I could not image having to leave them everyday and not seeing them learn new things.

August 14th, 2013, 10:23 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Still a SAHM and have no desire to go back to work! I work part time from home about 10 hours a week and that's enough for me! It's internet work I do while Connor naps. We had some adjusting to do once Peyton got here, but things have been getting better day to day.

Our days change all the time, and will change even more next month when C starts preschool! He will be going Tues/Thurs from 9-1, so we'll see how that goes!! Right now we just hang out at the house a lot, it's too **** hot to do ANYTHING outside! We'll eventually start going back to my ILs to swim some days. On Wednesday mornings we have gymnastics, we do trips to the library every couple of weeks, grocery shopping and errands almost every other day it seems!! We love Target & Walmart ha ha!

A typical day now:

wake up anywhere between 6:30-8a
some tv time usually depending on how Peyton is doing
breakfast around 9a
play time while I shower and/or work
maybe run some errands
lunch at noon then nap at 1
I work while he naps
when he wakes around 2:30/3p we will run errands or leave the house to do something and I know he won't have a meltdown!!
dinner prep in the afternoon and DH gets home around 5:30, we try to eat between 6-6:30
bedtime at 8:30p (Peyton is usually asleep by 8p though!)

Oh yea...cleaning....LOL what's that?? It's somewhere in between the errands, naps, eating and running around crazy-like!

August 14th, 2013, 10:52 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I am not a SAHM mom but I have so enjoyed reading all the posts.
I never wanted to be a SAHM mom with my first two kids. I was in a terrible marriage and he never helped, like ever! never bathed either child and probably changed 20 diapers if even that between both daugthers. I was so stressed and exhausted that I couldn't wait to return to work with my first to get a break. And with my 2nd she was very sick all the time and it was harder to leave her, but at the same time I needed a break!

Fast forward 9 years later and a new marriage to the most wonderful man on Earth (seriously!!) and two amazing daugthers that are 9 and 11 and I found it incredily hard to leave them. All I could do was think of ways to stay at home but our financial situation and the life we created based on two incomes just doesn't allow for that right now. I don't know that it ever will but it is my dream and one that my husband is working towards for me as well at his job (trying to advance as fast as possible).

I want to be at home with my new baby and be able to be at all the school functions for my older girls. Class parties and all the things that happen during the day that I have to pick and choose to go to on lunch hours and getting off early. My job promotes work life balance and it is never a problem to go to them, but its just not the same when you feel rushed to get work done to leave early or run to school on lunch hour, attend partial party and rush back to work cause lunch hour is over.

Please know how lucky you all are to be able to be at home with your kids and cherish those moments because you are all living out one of my dreams

~Kristin~
August 14th, 2013, 11:01 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
How are you adjusting to being a sahm? Quite well actually. I'm glad to be back home

What does your typical day look like? Grab a quick shower before DH leaves, feed Henry while the girls play in the family room, try to get household chores done between feedings, get lunch made for the girls, send them up for nap time, Henry and I nap on the couch. Then the afternoon is snack time and play time while I get dinner started. This will all change once Liky starts kindergarten and Abri starts preschool in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to the new routine of school and dance classes

Did you always want to be a sahm? Nope. Didn't really want kids originally. I worked full time after Lily was born, but my industry was dying during the 2008 financial crisis. I ended up at home because I couldn't find a job. I stayed home until Abri was 18 months old. It was hard work but I liked it. I ended up going back to work because we needed the money and hated every minute. Now I'm back at home because daycare would have cost more than I was making at work

Last edited by QueenCrafty; August 14th, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
August 14th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love being a stay at home mom!

My typical day is to laze around snuggling and plaing with the baby, watching netflix. My ideal day is we never leave the house...at all. It's REALLY hot outside, and my car is having trouble being a car, so since DH went back to work this week, Arthur and I just chill. Like today we got up at 9, turned on Parks and Rec on Netflix, and laid on the couch, then we walked and got the mail, and then we made cookies, did the dishes and made supper. I just turned Netflix off, and it's 9:00 at night. And we'll probably do it all again tomorrow...minus the making cookies, will probably replace that with doing laundry.

I've always wanted to be a SAHM. And so far it's living up to what I dreamed: staying home all day, away from people, and playing with the baby
edgeofelise likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
August 14th, 2013, 10:03 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a total homebody, so I love being a SAHM. I love the routine and meal planning and the rhythm of our days. We're just now hammering out a routine with two kids and although it's been stressful, I think I'll come out happier on the other end. Having two means our days need even more structure and I really have to stay on top of my game. I love juggling both of them (on good days, lol!) When it was just one kid I felt listless a lot of the time; there were a lot of hours to fill and I'd get lazy and not want to do anything. Now, I don't have the option to sit around and while I'm super tired, it feels good to keep moving.

I've always wanted to be a SAHM, but I pictured it being in a more ideal financial situation in a better location. My biggest issue is that we're in a really dirty, dangerous neighborhood just a stone's throw away from downtown, and I don't drive so getting out is incredibly difficult. I get depressed because I can't just let my kids play outside. We do get cabin fever. Hopefully DH finds a decent job soon and we can start building a better life. Still, we're pretty happy.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

August 15th, 2013, 05:15 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlechicksteph View Post
I love being a stay at home mom!

My typical day is to laze around snuggling and plaing with the baby, watching netflix. My ideal day is we never leave the house...at all. It's REALLY hot outside, and my car is having trouble being a car, so since DH went back to work this week, Arthur and I just chill. Like today we got up at 9, turned on Parks and Rec on Netflix, and laid on the couch, then we walked and got the mail, and then we made cookies, did the dishes and made supper. I just turned Netflix off, and it's 9:00 at night. And we'll probably do it all again tomorrow...minus the making cookies, will probably replace that with doing laundry.

I've always wanted to be a SAHM. And so far it's living up to what I dreamed: staying home all day, away from people, and playing with the baby
That's totally how it was when I had my first.....don't have another!! HA HA The dream ends when there's two of them!! Actually, it might have ended when he became a talking-back, tantrum-throwing, non-listening, terrible 3's (NOT 2's!) child!! Yikes!
Joanne Nicole likes this.

August 15th, 2013, 08:26 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribugg13 View Post

That's totally how it was when I had my first.....don't have another!! HA HA The dream ends when there's two of them!! Actually, it might have ended when he became a talking-back, tantrum-throwing, non-listening, terrible 3's (NOT 2's!) child!! Yikes!
LOL! Oh yes. And just wait until the two are old enough to start arguing with each other

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search