Mirena IUD

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steph625

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I have an appt this am to get one placed? I'm not familiar with the procedure. Wondering if I'll have pain afterwards or what not. Anybody have had one before?
August 14th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had one after DD was born. The procedure is not comfortable, that's for sure. But once it's over there's not really any pain. Then it takes a little getting used to with the strings hanging out. They soften over time, but at first they're pretty pokey. DH told me he could feel them for the first couple of months when DTD.

I hope it works out for you - I know some people who absolutely love Mirena.

August 14th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, I have an appt to get the copper (Paraguard) IUD placed and was also wondering what to expect.

I know there's often a time when your period is much worse than usual as your body adjusts, but since I'm not menstruating due to BFing (and didn't get my first AF after DD until she was like 14 months old) I'm hoping to just avoid all that! However my OB did say to expect a couple weeks of bleeding/spotting after the placement. I'm getting mine at the end of September, about 3 months postpartum.

August 14th, 2013, 09:58 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I had the Mirena placed after I had Connor and honestly didn't feel a thing. I think it's one of those things that ends up being different for everyone depending on your body and sensitivity, etc. I never felt the strings at all. The placement was very similar to a pap smear, just pressure and nothing else, no pain at all. I spotted for a few days and then never had a period for the year and a half I was on it.

I heard that it's less painful for someone who's had a vaginal birth/dilated, but I did not dilate past 3 with Connor and ended up having a c/s and still had zero pain, so who knows!

I'm having another Mirena put in as soon as I make the appt!

August 14th, 2013, 10:22 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I had one after my 2nd DD was born. It was slightly uncomfortable, but nothing Tylenol didn't take care of for me an I am a huge wuss!!

But I had a terrible experience. My periods got worse and never stopped. I had constant pain in my girly region and a couple years later after having a period so terrible that I was passing golf ball size clots I found a new OB, she did an ultrasound and the thing had moved and I was actually having a miscarriage because it wasn't in the right place and wasn't effective. Getting it taken out was awful, it was kind of stuck in there and that hurt worse.

I have friends who have it and love it and never had a problem. And then several others how had similar problems.

I hope it isn't painful for you, good luck!

~Kristin~
August 14th, 2013, 11:07 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got the Skyla almost 2 weeks ago. It is Mirena's little sister with lower dose of progesterone. The procedure was uncomfortable, but once she was done I haven't felt anything. I have had light bleeding/spotting since then, which is driving me crazy but other than that - no complaints.
August 14th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, had it placed. Wasn't that bad. Worst part was pressure from the speculum. It's was slightly pinchy. Just spotting now. I asked tons of questions regarding migration of the device. She did an ultrasound to check placement and it was where it needed to be and I'm at low risk of it moving.
shen7 likes this.
August 14th, 2013, 01:18 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you posted this I'm having mine placed Monday and dreading it a little bit!!

August 14th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got the cooper IUD placed about 2 weeks ago and it wasn't that uncomfortable, dr couldn't get it in the first time so he had to take it out and put another one back in, felt
A lil crampy, not too bad though, I did bleed for a couple days afterwards. It was my second time getting one, I got one after having DS 5 1/2 years ago and had it in for 4 1/2 years and worked great for me.

August 14th, 2013, 09:23 PM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I had one in for 5 years before having Leona. When I had it placed it was painful and I felt like I was going to pass out for a little while, but then had no problems with it for the next five years

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search