any tips for starting sleeping in the crib having issues with him staying asleep

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Karen78
  • 1 Post By princess136

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2013, 12:13 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
right now in Jackson sleeps In the rock n play next to my bed. I want to try to get him into the crib because I go back to work in 2 weeks anybody got any tips? usually he falls asleep in my arms and wanted to set him down he wakes up and and then this repeat 5 times. he falls asleep in about two minutes later he wakes up
August 15th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Swaddle swaddle swaddle! I was hesitant to use my SwaddleMe blanket because it's like a straight jacket, but it works very well. When I swaddle Conrad myself, he gets his arms out and he wakes himself up constantly. Good luck!
TeresaV and princess136 like this.

August 15th, 2013, 12:58 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes i do that I always use the swaddle me even for nap time. When he finally goes to sleep he stays sleeping it's just the transition from my arm to setting him down and getting him back to sleep that I have trouble with.

He likes to wake up for his nighttime feeding and sometimes it take 1 1/2 to get him back to sleep. Hoping it gets a bit better as I have to go back to work full time in 2 weeks unfourtenatly.
August 15th, 2013, 03:56 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just posted a tip from another playroom in a thread. EverydayJoy recommended taking your pillow case and laying it under baby because it smells like you. It seems to have helped a few women keep their babies asleep. I have this trouble with Anna right now as well. I use the Miracle Blanket, but she wakes up almost every time I try to set her down. And when she wakes in the middle of the night, she's up for at least an hour. It's really frustrating. I hope you find something that works!

August 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A friend of mine has twins and she said the only way she could get her boy to stay asleep was to put a heating pad in the crib to warm up the mattress and then remove it just before setting the baby down. The warmth would trick him into thinking he was still being held. I'd do it but the only available outlet close to the crib is behind it and I can't reach it without moving the crib.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

August 15th, 2013, 07:12 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is what I do:

I make sure he has a full tummy, clean bum and has been burped. Then I swaddle him nice and tight and hold him until he falls asleep.

When I put him down in the crib, I take my hands and cup them around him and hold him firmly for a couple minutes. That way when he initially wakes up after being set down, he gets a similar feeling as when he is being held. I will sometimes lay him on his side and pat his bum with one hand will holding his arms close to him with the other hand until he falls asleep and then lay him back on his back.

August 15th, 2013, 08:12 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to suggest both warm the sheets and slow release once on the mattress.

Babies sleep cycles are about 50-60min right now. They go through drowsy, light sleep, deep sleep, REM, deep sleep, light sleep and awake. Try to time it when he is in deep sleep. So if you are holding him 30-45 min after he fallas asleep, chances are you are missing deep sleep and he is in the lighter REM or light sleep phase

The other suggestion is to put down drowsy but awake. They NEVER worked with BOurne.

When i get up to run in the AM, i put my night shirt next to Bodhi so he still smells me. Maybe you can do that and then remove it once he is settled.
August 16th, 2013, 10:37 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen78 View Post
Swaddle swaddle swaddle! I was hesitant to use my SwaddleMe blanket because it's like a straight jacket, but it works very well. When I swaddle Conrad myself, he gets his arms out and he wakes himself up constantly. Good luck!
OMG this cracked me up because I say the same thing about Aubrey's. She uses hers at the daycare because they don't allow blankets there due to SIDS. Everytime I see her in it I crack up, she looks like a miniature mental patient, hahahahahaha!
TeresaV likes this.

~Kristin~
August 16th, 2013, 07:50 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
just put the rock n play in the baby's room and have the baby sleep there in it
emerson does just that and its a good send
we'll eventually transition to the crib but i feel theres no need to rush it
im really waiting to until that startle reflex is gone because thats what does her in

August 17th, 2013, 12:17 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no advice cause I would just let him continue to sleep where he is happy instead of pushing him off toward the crib. But then again I'm a pretty crunchy mom that prefers be sharing/cosleeping.

August 17th, 2013, 12:57 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We have her crib attached to our bed so it makes an extension of our bed so I'm no help on getting him to stay asleep in her crib. I do agree with Kat that you maybe putting him down at the end of his sleep cycle, and babies have the startle reflux which is really strong still. If you want him to sleep in his crib just countinue to try. I'd transition slowly and do the best you can.

August 17th, 2013, 08:09 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Swaddling is the only way I can get Morgan to sleep in her crib. She will wake up within 15 minutes otherwise. She hates her swaddleMe so I cannot put her in it until she's asleep. I have it spread open in her crib so I can just lay her on it and wrap her up. Sometimes she wakes up but as soon as she's swaddled and has her binky she goes right back to sleep....and sleeps for at least 7 hours (usually 8 or 9).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search