Silent Reflux possibility

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2013, 09:01 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Aubrey was diagnosed with acid reflux very early on and we have been experimenting with different formulas and different medicines. We tried Zantac and made pain worse for her spit up. Switched to Prevacid and it has made a world of difference on her pain. We switched formulas a few times because the Enfamil came up just as fast as it went down.
We are now on a Similac formula and once all the old formula and rice cereal (I tried everything to keep her formula down) got out of her system, she has been a completely different baby in such a good way.

But recently I noticed that she seems to be "chewing" a lot. It looks like she has something in her mouth and constantly making a chewing motion as well as sticking out her tounge. Also she seems to be making these convulsive type movements with her stomach and arms and head. I just knew on Monday something didn't seem right and I kept telling DH her movements are not right. Of course he just chalked it up to newborn jerky movements, but as a momma, I know!! Now I am seeing that her jerking movements are because she is gagging/choking and not able to breathe.
After much research I am 99% sure this is what she now has as opposed to regular old acid reflux.

We thankfully have our 2 month check up on Monday morning and I am hoping there is something else we can try that we haven't already. She doesn't seem to be in pain as she doesn't really cry excessively, she is actually quite content most of the time. But to see your baby spasm and not breathe is heartbreaking and I want to fix this!

Please send prayers our way.

~Kristin~
August 16th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ellianna's reflux is like that. She brings it up and swallows it (so less puking). She is on the Zantac. The doc said it will not stop the reflux but will make it not burn. We can actually watch her chest and see when she regurgitates and re-swallows. The good news is with the Zantac it no longer burns her vocal cords (she was hoarse). She is also more pleasant. Due to the reflux, the doc said to have her sleep on her belly. That seems to help as she is not flexing all night.

August 16th, 2013, 09:29 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
Ellianna's reflux is like that. She brings it up and swallows it (so less puking). She is on the Zantac. The doc said it will not stop the reflux but will make it not burn. We can actually watch her chest and see when she regurgitates and re-swallows. The good news is with the Zantac it no longer burns her vocal cords (she was hoarse). She is also more pleasant. Due to the reflux, the doc said to have her sleep on her belly. That seems to help as she is not flexing all night.
Thanks for letting me know about the sleep on the belly. She doesn't seem to be in pain as the Prevacid seems to have taken care of that. My main concern is the coming back up of contents taht seems to stop her breathing. When this happens it does bother her and she lets out a half scream cause it scares her I think. She sleeps on her side and this has helped tremendously with her spit up and the choking in the middle of the night that really took her breath away. But now I am dealing with the day time choking. UGH!!

~Kristin~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search