Say it isn't so....

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MerinSun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2013, 10:17 AM
Super Mommy
I have been trying to get her to love her binki, but I think the thumb is winning the battle. DD #1 was a binki girl, and I was hoping the same would be true for Harper. Something about thumb sucking makes me cringe. I think it is the teacher in me that wants to yak when I see a third grader sucking a thumb then turning in a paper that I have to grade. Yuck!

Anyway, BTDT mommas, should I keep pushing the binki or just let it be. Once she starts thumb sucking, will she stop on her own? How do you break the habit at an early age? Thanks for the help!

August 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
She's so cute!! I have no advice though. I've not had a thumb sucker yet. My sister's kids suck their fingers when they have their loveys. So as long as she distracts them with other activities they forget about their fingers
August 22nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Awww! Cute! I keep thinking that Peyton will find her thumb as well, she sucks/chews on whatever she can get in her mouth...a thumb, a finger or 3, her fist, her whole hand! I never introduced the pacifier to Connor, and didn't plan on it with Peyton either. I'm sort of torn because I think I'd rather her have a paci that I could take away, rather than her thumb! Interested to see others responses here too!

August 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
We're in the same boat with Emerson
DS hated the bink and never found his thumb
Emerson really hates the bink and loves her thumb
We used to be able to use the pacifier to try and calm her down when we were out but now she won't even take it
I'm just going to roll with it
I was a thumb sucker and so was my mom

August 22nd, 2013, 08:21 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We knew that we were fighting nature trying to get Anna to take a paci. We have an u/s pic of her sucking her thumb. She used the paci until she could get her thumb to her mouth regularly. As soon as she could do that, it was bye bye paci. At 3, she is still a thumb sucker. I sucked mine until I was 6. My parents bribed me out of it. I wanted a Barbie horse like crazy. Why? I have no idea, but I did. So I quit and they got me the horse. I don't have any memory of ever sucking my thumb at school or around my friends tho. It was when I had my blankey and was tired.

Lena is also sucking her thumb, but still takes her paci, too. I know the thumb will win, but we try. In good news, that pic you posted is sooooooooo adorable. So not all bad.

August 22nd, 2013, 09:16 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Porter has found his thumb too. I'm hoping it's because he just seems to be more aware of his hands now, but I guess we will see!
August 23rd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was ecstatic when Alex opted for this thumb instead of the pacifier. Sooooo much easier. He only sucks his thumb now when he is tired and once he's asleep it pops out. I don't worry about it.
hilachu likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

August 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my nephew is 9 and had to get serious dental work due to sucking his thumb FOREVER!

It is scary. I think it is okay as long as you don't let it drag out for years.

Lilah sticks her whole hand in her mouth then has a 10 minute meltdown when she gags herself.

August 23rd, 2013, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ellianna will not take the paci. She uses her entire fist ot my knuckle. Not 1 of my three would take a paci and the first 2 never really thumb sucked

August 25th, 2013, 05:00 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Eva will not take a pacifier. She puts her hand in her mouth and slurps like crazy, then she will accidentally bite herself and cry. Lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search