BTDT Moms- I need your help!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 2 Post By Kim3
  • 2 Post By eshute
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2013, 01:02 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anna turned 3 on Tuesday and today has her first ear infection ever. She has to take antibiotics every 12 hours for 10 days. She is running a fever and is in a lot of pain. She has been crying pretty much all day. The problem is this: she will NOT take liquid medicine. I have tried using a syringe, pinning her down, and squirting it behind her back teeth while holding her tongue down, but she somehow gets ALL of it back out. It's like she just closes her throat. I have tried with 2 doses of Tylenol for the fever, but haven't been able to actually get it in her. I haven't tried with the antibiotic yet bc the doctor said to give the first dose this evening. My mom is coming tonight to help me and see if she can get it in her since she had the same problem with me. My concern is how sick she could end up getting if I can't actually get the antibiotics in her body. The doctor told me I could mix it with a very small amount of liquid and give it to her with a straw, but the problem is that she only drinks milk and water. She spits out juice, any kind of juice. She will not drink flavored milk either. I don't know what to do. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

August 24th, 2013, 02:16 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ear infections untreated can be very very bad. Like deafness and the infection going into the brain type bad. I would try reasoning with her. Most medicines don't taste bad nowadays. I would tell her she has to take it to feel better and if she still refuses they may have to give her a shot of antibiotics.

August 24th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I know they can be that bad. That's why I'm so worried about how to get the antibiotics in her. I have tried reasoning with her all afternoon. She straight up won't take it. It's not like I'm just saying, "Oh well. She doesn't want it." I held her down and squirted it in, but she manages to get it all back out. Therein lies the problem. On top of that, I think Lena is having diarrhea. This is one really tough day..

If my mom can't get the antibiotics in her, I guess I will have to take her to Righttime Pediatrics to get her a shot of antibiotics, if they do that. I guess I will have to call.

August 24th, 2013, 03:02 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Is the antibiotic flavored? I'd threaten the shot- either she can drink the medicine or she'll have to get the shot. If it's going to be a fight for the next ten days, the rocephin shot might be your best option.
eshute and MamaSkunk like this.
August 24th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I called the local Nighttime Pediatrics and was told they don't do the shot... Ugh! My mom was able to get almost all of the dose of antibiotic in her tonight, after a long fight. I hope I can do as well in the morning. My mom is a pro at this bc I always hated liquid medicine. I have vivid memories of her pinning me down to squirt meds down the back of my throat. I would choose to have the shot instead of taking liquid whenever it was an option. Anna probably would, too. If we had been at the regular dr's office, I would have just had them do that, but being a weekend, I took her to a minute clinic and they can't do that.

I'm not sure if it's flavored. At the pharmacy, they told me it doesn't taste bad. I don't THINK it is tho. It's amoxicillin (I know I spelled that wrong, but I am too lazy to go get the bottle and check how to spell it correctly) and it is the same pepto pink I remember it being from when I was a kid and that was not flavored. I guess I should count my blessings. In 3 years, this is the first time she has ever been really sick. The only other thing she has had is a reaction to a vaccination that lasted a few days. But this is her first actual illness.

August 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
I would threaten with something she doesn't like
or give her options
with my three year old when he was battling a crazy fever i told him he could either drink it from a cup or use the syringe but either way he was going to take the medicine even if i had to sit on him.
I would lay her flat, sit on her pining her arms, shooting the medicine on the side of her cheek and than holding her mouth closed - it sounds extreme but she needs to take it
maybe after the first time of this she will be more cooperative

amoxicillan has its own flavor like berry-ish, i think its delicous tbh =)

August 24th, 2013, 11:56 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would try a little old fashioned bribing!! I'm sorry, sounds like you are doing everything possible. Hugs!

August 25th, 2013, 02:34 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I'm a FTM, but my niece is almost always on antibiotics for one reason or another and she just turned 4. She used to scream and do the same thing your daughter is doing, but the biggest thing for her is - 1. Make sure it's flavored (as someone else mentioned). If it's not, take it back to the pharm and ask them to put more flavoring in it. 2. Make sure she has something yummy to wash it down with. One of the things with my niece was the aftertaste, not taking the medicine itself. 3. Find out what motivates her to take it. With my niece, we told her she couldn't watch her favorite show, or have her ice cream after dinner. The last time she had medicine we raced her with something. Like we'd put the medicine in the little cup and have a little cup for ourselves and tell her we bet that she couldn't finish the medicine before we finished our -whatever was in our cup-.

And from experience..rocephin shots SUCK. Even if your pediatrician doesn't actually do the shots, I'd let her know that the shots hurt a lot. Because if the ear infection gets bad enough, it's going to be a trip to the hospital and I'm sure she'll get a shot there, or possibly an IV. I had ear infections most of my childhood.

Good luck! I hope it gets easier soon!

August 25th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This sounds terrible but I totally forget what my boys were like at age 3 However, Ellianna takes liquid meds three times a day. For us, I have to squit a little into her cheek and then blow air into her face (not hard). A little blow into the face makes someone close their mouth and swallow. Not sure why - a trick from my Mom. (What would we do without our mothers - seem they know all the tricks). I know it sounds mean to do, but we know how important the meds are.

I think the pink meds are bubblegum flavored which may be OK for a three year old (I always wondered why anyone thought an infant would like bb gum - seems they need to learn to make breastmilk flavoring for infants )

Hope today goes better for you.
princess136 and eshute like this.

August 25th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I remember the first time I went to the doctor's as an adult. I got prescribed antibiotics and I asked if I could have the bubble gum kind. I was told "no" and I honest to God started to pout.

As for the kid...wooo! That's tough! This may be a thing to just bribe her with. Buy a piece of candy she likes and tell her she can only have it if she takes the medicine nicely.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

August 25th, 2013, 06:36 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
For us, I have to squit a little into her cheek and then blow air into her face (not hard). A little blow into the face makes someone close their mouth and swallow. Not sure why - a trick from my Mom.
Tried this this morning with Anna's tylenol. Worked like a freakin' charm. She's been spitting it out, even if I pinch her cheeks so she can't close her mouth the whole way. I squirted the tylenol into her cheek and blew gently on her face and POOF! Tylenol down. Who knew it could be so easy.
MamaSkunk and Kim3 like this.

August 25th, 2013, 08:47 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We've had bubblegum or banana flavoring in our antibiotics for Abri's many ear infections. It is worth going back to the pharmacist for flavoring.
August 25th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've had to battle M on this and do everything you mentioned, AND hold her down with her head below her shoulders, sort of leaning back, holding her head down like that until she swallows. It keeps the meds in the back of the throat so they have a reflex to swallow and can't spit it out as well. She was only 18 months old though, I don't know if that would work on a 3 year old. Good luck!!!

August 25th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all of the help, ladies! I had tried pinning her down, holding her mouth shut (she somehow still got it out), everything except blowing in her face. I will definitely try that if need be. But Mom to the rescue! She somehow got the first dose of antibiotics in her (I had only tried to get Tylenol in her before that) and she did better taking the second and third from me today. Only small amounts are escaping. I had offered ice cream (meaning frozen tubes of organic yogurt) as bribery prior to the first dose. She sill protests the medicine and tries to cover her mouth and spit, but it is getting better and the "ice cream" pacifies her after. Flavoring the meds would actually just make it worse. She hates artificial flavors. She won't have anything to do with candy. She also refuses any kind of juice. I think we may have a system now. Only 17 more doses to go...
Kim3 likes this.

August 26th, 2013, 10:39 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Yay for Kimberly's suggestion. I was just typing that as I was reading everybody's responses. My oldest is like that still and she is 11. I heard about the blowing in the face trick when she was younger and it has worked like a charm everytime for years now.

So glad it worked for you!

~Kristin~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search