BFing a nighttime sleeper

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By TeresaV

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Super Mommy
Harper is starting to sleep through some nights and I'm wondering what other breast feeding moms do. What do you do at night to keep from being engorged? Last night she slept from 10 to 7. I woke her up at 7 because I was about to bust. The night before, I pumped at 12:30 but of course she woke up at 3am ready to eat. If I feed her around 9:30, I wouldn't really be ready to pump until 1:30am. However, I hate to wake up and pump or pump then have her wake up minutes later ready to eat.

I'm trying to figure out a good routine. My milk supply has always been crummy, so I feel like a routine would help. Any suggestions?
August 24th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's a complete crap shoot. Because in 2 weeks she's going to be waking up every few hours again. What you can do now if she stays steady on this schedule is to pick pump times that you like. Breast milk is good for 6 hours(freshly expressed). If she wakes up at an awkward time hand the bottle to your SO and go back to sleep. Or nurse. It will be good for your supply.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

August 24th, 2013, 10:28 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I have also been wondering about this. A few times madeline has slept long stretches and I wake up paranoid because I have had so much trouble with my supply. I am finally producing enough so I don't want to jeoperdize that. Should we always set an alarm just in case to pump???

August 25th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes Pick the interval, like every 5 hours. If she wakes up before that then just nurse (and your choice if you want to start the clock again starting at your BF start time). If she doesn't then stick to it and pump. If she wakes up during or just after then hand over the bottle or nurse her. Depending on how close to the pump she may be very frustrated at first but eventually she will get a letdown. And that is excellent for your supply. If she gets a letdown and it's not enough and you're tired then give her the bottle.
shen7 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

August 25th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Will he take a bottle? Ellianna has been doing this as well. Last night, I nursed at 8 and she did not get up until 5:30. I nursed her and am downstairs just finishing pumping 9 (yes I said 9) ounces AFTER nursing. It is great for building a stash. The night before she also slept and I pumped at 4:30 a.m. Luckily Ellianna takes a bottle really well. If by chance I pump and then she needs to eat, I have the bottle as back up. In addition, if I need to pump and she hasn't nursed, I sort of save a side. For instance the night before, I pumped 6 ounces out of my left side and only 2 ounce of the right side. This way, I relieved the engorgement and figured I still have 4 ounces left in the right side for her when she woke up (which was just as I was able to start to fall asleep after pumping )

I have returned to work and sometimes I have to miss a pumping session due to meetings, etc. So it is great to have a stash.

August 25th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yay for pumping! lol I've almost filled my hygeia bottles sitting here...I'm kinda worried actually. I've dropped the midnight pump so it's been 8hours.

August 25th, 2013, 08:49 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Morgan has been sleeping anywhere from 7-9 hours straight each night for about a month. When she first started sleeping through the night I set my alarm for 2am and pumped. Now I typically wake up by 3 or 4 and have to pump to relieve the pain. I have a more than ample supply of milk and I probably pump less than I should between feedings (like at night and when I'm at work). I hope I don't kill my supply.
Gen88 likes this.

August 27th, 2013, 05:58 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
Will he take a bottle? Ellianna has been doing this as well. Last night, I nursed at 8 and she did not get up until 5:30. I nursed her and am downstairs just finishing pumping 9 (yes I said 9) ounces AFTER nursing. It is great for building a stash. The night before she also slept and I pumped at 4:30 a.m. Luckily Ellianna takes a bottle really well. If by chance I pump and then she needs to eat, I have the bottle as back up. In addition, if I need to pump and she hasn't nursed, I sort of save a side. For instance the night before, I pumped 6 ounces out of my left side and only 2 ounce of the right side. This way, I relieved the engorgement and figured I still have 4 ounces left in the right side for her when she woke up (which was just as I was able to start to fall asleep after pumping )

I have returned to work and sometimes I have to miss a pumping session due to meetings, etc. So it is great to have a stash.
I would give anything for a supply like yours!!!!! Wow. I have just enough and no more!

August 28th, 2013, 02:25 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love my sleep and am a lazy pumper. If he sleeps a long stretch, then so do I. I will pump in the morning after he nurses to relieve engorgement. My supply tends to adjust to his schedule.

I will add - I don't have supply issues, so I can afford the luxury of not pumping in the middle of the night.
August 28th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
your supply will mimic the demand of your baby. I don't pump in the middle of the night at all yea I wake up engorged and it hurts a little but it evens out through the day. After a few days your body will realize that it is a pattern and adjust automatically.

August 29th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I stopped pumping all together. Most nights he's asleep from 10-4 and I just nurse him around 9 and again at 4 when he wakes up. He's up for the day around 7.

August 29th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlinmommy17 View Post
I would give anything for a supply like yours!!!!! Wow. I have just enough and no more!
The last couple of days Ellianna has been getting up to nurse several times at night. When she does I have a hard time pumping much as work. I am very grateful for the nights she sleeps and I can pump a little extra to store. Otherwise I would be in not so good of a place.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search