CD detergent

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2013, 07:51 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I watched some CD videos on YouTube before I started with them. The lady on the videos said that Seventh Generation free & clear detergent (the kind I use for all of my laundry) is one that is safe for CDs. Then the brand I use came out with a blog post on diaper care and specifically mentioned that detergent as one not to use, saying it has oils that can build up and cause repelling. I have not had any repelling issues, but I didn't want to start either, so I went out and got some Rockin' Green (Hard Rock since our water is slightly hard). After a few weeks of using that, my diapers started to stink. They always came out clean and fresh smelling with the Seventh Generation detergent, but they started to stink with the Rockin' Green. I tried adjusting the amount of detergent to see if that was my problem, and nothing helped. I had to strip all of my diapers and in two batches so that I at least had something to put on her while one batch was being stripped. I also switched to EcoSprout detergent. I have only used it twice, so I will have to wait and see how it goes. I only bought a sample pack to see what I think before I go ahead and buy the big bag like I did with the Rockin' Green.

For CD moms with experience for this kind of thing, is EcoSprout a good one? The "baby guru" at the store where I got the detergents told me EcoSprout was better than Rockin' Green. Should this keep my diapers from getting that stink again? I don't want to have to strip regularly. It took forever. I want to make sure the detergent I use is going to keep my diapers smelling fresh, ammonia free, and very absorbent.

August 26th, 2013, 08:54 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I use Rockin Green Soft Rock with good luck, but sometimes it takes a little trial and error to find what works for you. I used to use a WAHM detergent called Clean B which I loved, but she had health issues and took a break from making her detergent. I have heard that people have good luck using regular Tide powder but it caused a rash on my middle child.
August 26th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I also use Rockin Green Classic with no issues. I hope you find something that works for you!

August 26th, 2013, 05:55 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use Rockin Green or Charlie's with no issue. It can be confusing as I think it all depends on your water.

August 27th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have used a DIY detergent since January and have had no problems, other than with a Thirsties AIO and a Thirsties hemp/microfiber insert. I think those two have an issue in common that I haven't quite cracked yet. All my other microfiber comes out fine, my bamboo inserts and cotton prefolds do as well.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

August 27th, 2013, 05:58 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I've always used Rockin' green as well, I did battle the stink for awhile but I think it has to do with wash routine more than detergent. I was using my ILs horribly old front loader and ended up having to stop CD'ing until I got my new washer. The less water it uses, the more pee/amonia ends up staying in the inserts. Since I ended up battling yeast as well, I ended up bleaching everything and that finally cured my problem.

What's your wash routine like? Maybe add an extra rinse cycle before washing to get the pee out.

August 28th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It is very individual and depends on your water, washer, stash/fabrics being washed, the child's age and pooping patterns, etc. I have had stink and needed to rewash a lot with: Rock n green, Ecos, Biokleen, Country Save. I have had success with Seventh Generation F&C, Tide F&G, and Kirkland Ultra F&C. I have been with the Tide for awhile now because it is cheaper than 7gen and easier to get than Kirkland, since I don't often shop at Costco. I also use either bleach or oxygen bleach powder in every load in the prewash.

I find I need HE liquids, powders don't dispense properly in my FLer. I also need the enzymes and the advanced surfactants and softeners/builders that are in mainstream brands. I hate fragrances so we only do Free & Clear types.

The whole concept of "CD safe" is basically a lie, in my opinion. It's not based on any facts that make sense to me from a chemistry perspective. Sure, avoid fabric softeners, esp on stay dry fabrics. But the rest of it is just ridiculous. Just my opinion.

August 28th, 2013, 04:24 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use Original Tide Powder. My diapers always smell fresh coming out of the wash

August 28th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have extremely hard water and a FL and was using hard rock and was getting horrible stink issues. I am still trying to find a detergent that works great. I have some charlies and will start using that soon. I actually got an old school top loader and will try that I think my issue was not enough water along with detergent bc of my really hard water. I also got some calgon bc I heard with hard water it really helps

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search