Friends and Family driving me crazy with their "helpful" advice

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By sunnydaze
  • 5 Post By dmreed32

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No one gave me advice my whole pregnancy.

But lately, I hear probably everyday

"Maybe she needs to start eating a little cereal" or "She seems to eat a lot, you should start giving her cereal" or "Shes a big baby, she is going to need cereal soon to sustain herself."

Once I replied "She is too little for cereal, she can barely handle formula, the soy formula constipates her"

to which she responded "well mix it with a little applesauce"

I got a little snotty yesterday and finally said

"You know, this isn't my first rodeo and I will know when she is ready for cereal and it isn't right now"

And some babies do start cereal early, but Lilah has a very sensitive stomach and she ISN'T starving to death. She is right where she needs to be.

I just want to choke people out sometimes.

August 27th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Hugs mama. I would have responded the exact same way!

I'm surprised no one has told me that Zack is to big for his age. He is my chunky butt and no joke he was bigger than a baby who was born May 17th (he was born june 28th). He goes thursday to be weighed again and I would not be surprised if he has surpassed my cousins daughter who was born april 4th lol

August 28th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My Mom tells me Elli needs cereal soon as well. I usually start cereal at 4 months - so we have until October 8. She also tells me to watch for her getting too fat as fat cells grow at this time. Of course this is what she tells me AFTER watching Elli during the day while I work and reporting the 5 ounce bottles ever 2 1/2 hours When Elli screams for milk, Grammy gives it. I am pumping pumping pumping in an effort to keep up.
I really don't think Elli is THAT big

August 28th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't put your baby on a diet. At this age, being "fat" really isn't an issue. If shes hungry, feed her (I know it is hard on your pumping). Lilah weighs 12lbs now but she has fat rolls on her thighs and a friend of mine mentioned her being fat.

So what?

Chubby babies cuddle better. They lean out when they start crawling.

August 28th, 2013, 07:33 AM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
I would say, " I know I just haven't decided between Captain Crunch and Frosted Flakes yet."

August 28th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreed32 View Post
I would say, " I know I just haven't decided between Captain Crunch and Frosted Flakes yet."
Love that!

August 28th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
At my breastfeeding group yesterday, the lactation consultant said that babies self regulate their food. They only eat when they are hungry, and they stop when they're not. Chubby babies are just a sign that they're getting all the nutrients they need, and that once they start crawling they'll start to get less chubby.

She also stressed that the AAP recommends no solids until 6 months. You can always throw that in nosy "helpful" family member's face

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
August 28th, 2013, 02:38 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No solids here until 6 months. We might do the cereal that you mix with the formula after 4 months, but no actual solid foods.

Anna has chub rolls on her thighs, but she's lean everywhere else. She still hasn't even hit 12lbs yet, but her legs look chubby. Oh and her cheeks, of course. I think it's freakin' adorable and I'm not a bit worried about if she gets some chub on her right now. I feed her when she's hungry. period.

August 28th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No worries - no diet here. Elli is about 13 pounds and 25 inches. When I am home, i nurse on demand.

August 28th, 2013, 10:09 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Eva is a chunk too with rolls galore! It's adorable!

August 29th, 2013, 03:46 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Rice cereal really doesn't have any nutrients so it's crazy to suggest you need to start cereal to keep her sustained. It's just a practice food that is bland and easy to digest. Keep doing what you are doing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search