Dairy Free Favorites

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2013, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So ladies who are dairy free - what are your favorites??? The doc recommended that I go dairy free for a while to help with Elli's reflux. She has been doing so good, that yesterday I pushed luck and had a small piece of her Christening cake. It was delicious but my poor baby girl is paying the price today. That's it - not one bit of dairy for me. I am going back super strict. Looking for some good recipes. Between nursing and dairy free, I am 14 pounds below pp weight and it is not a healthy weight loss. Today DH made me homemade pancakes with almond milk. They were really good. I am looking for other tasty recipes. Fruits and veggies only go so far. When I am on the road for work, I am having a hamburger happy meal for lunch - evidently a hamburger, FF, coke and apples are OK. Tonight is sushi and fried rice (confirmed with the restaurant that they use no butter in the fried rice). I stay away from soy as well.

September 2nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So Delicious brand coconut ice cream!!! Especially the chocolate and mint chip flavors

Coconut milk is high calorie and more satisfying than other nondairy milks, IMO. I think you can even get a coconut/almond milk too, I bet that is yummy.

Also, cashews are delicious. You can add cashew butter or puree to many sauces and things to make them creamy without adding too much of a distinctive flavor (which is the downside of coconut).

Good luck!!!!

September 2nd, 2013, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks - I am definitely getting some cashew butter when I get to the store. I am craving creamy things.

September 2nd, 2013, 05:43 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I NEED more dairy free recipes!!!! Thanks for this thread!!! Its so hard to be dairy free. Madeline's reflux is super bad also. Yesterday we ate at McAlister's Deli and I had a chicken salad sandwich that obviously had some hidden dairy in it because my poor baby has been miserable all day today. I should have known better. I live on oatmeal.

September 2nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay, so another satisfying thing for dinner stuff is crock pot chicken - southwestern or tortilla soup, chicken pot roast, etc. But you MUST use whole legs or thighs, with skin on and bones in. It will make the soup or stew or whatever you make much richer. Chicken fat, schmaltz, is the secret ingredient of Jewish/Eastern European cooking it is DELICIOUS and will satisfy a lot of craving for rich things. When it gets colder, I also like to do beef pot roast. Animal fats are generally good sources of rich satisfying calories and there are lots of great things you can make without any need for milk, cheese, etc. Think of more British type recipes though.

Just forget about Italian food. Don't even think about it. It's ALL cheesy.

If you can get into Middle Eastern food, that is great stuff and it's very light on the dairy, it may just call for a little goat or feta cheese which is easy to leave out. Lentils, hummus, kebabs, salads, etc. Lots and lots of good olive oil on everything.

Also, pretty much all Asian food is dairy free, though not soy free, you have to be careful about soy when buying ready-made sauces or eating out. But as far as recipes, stir frys are a great basic thing to experiment with, just get some meat and veggies and have at it. Also, fried rice can be great, and you can make it with leftover rice, and put some egg in it, and it's very filling.

I feel like the standard American diet sort of defaults to slapping cheese on everything to make it taste good, but it's really not necessary. If you get into more global cuisines you find lots of cultures just don't use much dairy and don't need it. You do need some nice fats, including saturated fats, to get a rich flavor in things. But vegetable oils (especially olive and coconut), nuts, and meat are great ways to get those fats too.
overlinmommy17 and MamaSkunk like this.

September 2nd, 2013, 10:32 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Shen.
One of my fave dairy free recipes is teriyaki salmon. Buy some salmon steaks, put them in tinfoil, soak each one with a liberal amount of teriyaki sauce. Wrap up in tinfoil. Cook in the oven til done. Serve the salmon with green onion sprinkled on the top. And serve over a bed of brown and wild rice.Yum!

September 3rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is a list of suggestions that I eat usually:

Breakfast:
-Green Smoothies (1 banana, frozen fruit mix, some OJ, handful of spinach and kale, and some chia seeds)
-Oatmeal with Almond Milk
-Pancakes made with almond milk
-Dairy Free Banana Bread with some dairy free butter

Lunch:
Turkey, chicken, or veggie wraps.
Salads. I use LOTS of veggies (spinach, bell peppers, carrots, celery, squash, etc) and then add seeds like sunflower or pumpkin or almonds/cashews.

Dinner Ideas: (I can send any of the recipes in a PM if you want, they are too long to write out, haha)

This is what we have on the Menu Board for this week:

-Linguini with Tomato Salsa (DH adds steak strips to his)
-Chili with Dairy Free Cornbread
-Dairy Free Pizza
-Pasta and Pesto sauce
-Steak or Chicken with Chimichurri Sauce (parsley, cilantro, vinegar, garlic) We are having this tonight.
-Pulled Pork on baked potatoes
-Italian Pasta Salad (You can add chicken to it)
-Southwest Quinoa (quinoa, corn, black beans, green onions with an oil and lime dressing.)
-Fideo (Spicy Mexican Pasta. Way yummy)

September 3rd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Valerie - is there dairy free cheese?

September 3rd, 2013, 03:12 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
Valerie - is there dairy free cheese?
Yes there is. You should be able to find it at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I haven't experimented much with vegan cheese yet. But if you find one that you like, be sure to let me know.

September 3rd, 2013, 03:48 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Eating out is almost impossible. I eat a lot of oatmeal, fruits, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and hummus wraps. I cannot wait to eat ice cream again.

September 3rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree eating out is hard. We have a wedding this weekend. I suspect everything will have butter added. I am taking my own almond milk so i can have coffee Sometimes it is even difficult to get olive oil instead of butter for the rolls when it is a catered event.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search