Education

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2013, 09:44 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I always said I would never be that mom but after looking into our local schools and finding out about their awful scores and based on other decisions we have decided to home school. I think we will use an accredited online course. And for socialization we will make sure they are both in plenty of sports and there are about 200 homeschooled kids in our city that get together for field trips etc. Its so odd but I have worried about schooling for them since DD was born looking into different public schools, charter/private/catholic school options and this is the only option that I feel completely at peace with. And yesterday my youngest brother said he has also decided to home school his kids 3 days ago also LOL So since he is also going to do this and speaks fluently German,French,Spanish and Mandarin(Chinese) He is going to do writing projects with them in different languages. He is already teaching my DD mandarin. As well as various other projects. I am quite excited to take this path with my kids and my brother too. I fully expect to get labeled as weird and I don't care cause now I have an ally in my bro in this journey. Does anyone else here home school?

September 9th, 2013, 01:30 PM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
I have quite a few online friends that homeschool. How do you get started with that? Is there a
Reporting agency or something that checks the kids progress?
MamaSkunk likes this.

September 9th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Super Mommy
i think that's great!! i have considered homeschooling myself. a lot depends on where we live/what school district we'll be in once my kids are in school. but it's definitely something i'll be looking into.
MamaSkunk likes this.
September 9th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I don't think it is weird at all. I got lucky that the school we put Madison in is great. She is also learning mandarin chinese.
MamaSkunk likes this.

September 9th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it's great! being teacher I know how important it is. I would LOVE to be able to home school...but like my husband said about me being a stay at home mom...it's just not in the cards for us
MamaSkunk likes this.
September 9th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't intend to home school beyond preschool but I have been looking at charter schools for Alex when the time comes. I'm just not impressed with the public schools around us and the Zero Tolerance policy is horrifying. For pre-K I'm looking into the co-op schools near us

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

September 9th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreed32 View Post
I have quite a few online friends that homeschool. How do you get started with that? Is there a
Reporting agency or something that checks the kids progress?
Dawn the one I am looking into is called K12. Still waiting for the info packets to find out more. And regulations vary by state. In Minnesota you have to report yearly the intent to home school, submit vaccination records, and take yearly standardized tests and keep records of the curriculum they are being taught.

September 9th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan on homeschooling if we haven't gotten out of our Florida exile by the time Arthur starts school. I'm really not impressed with the schools down here. I have a few years to look into it though, and a few years for us to get our butts back to Iowa.
MamaSkunk likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
September 9th, 2013, 04:49 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I think it's great for those who can do it. I know 150% it's not for me. I could never give my kids a good education myself. I don't have the patience either. I also know for me I wouldn't enjoy my kids if we did homeschool.
ashleykathleen likes this.

September 9th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
lol! People keep asking me if I am going to home school my kids and I always reply "No, I want to love my kids" LOL After the first week I'm afraid my husband will find me locked in a closet with a bottle of whiskey in my hands.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

September 9th, 2013, 07:35 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
I think it's great for those who can do it. I know 150% it's not for me. I could never give my kids a good education myself. I don't have the patience either. I also know for me I wouldn't enjoy my kids if we did homeschool.
Couldn't have said it better myself. We actually lucked out and the school district we are in is wonderful so I feel very confident in our decision

There are lots of moms in my son's PR that homeschool, though. They all absolutely love it.

September 9th, 2013, 07:52 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
lol! People keep asking me if I am going to home school my kids and I always reply "No, I want to love my kids" LOL After the first week I'm afraid my husband will find me locked in a closet with a bottle of whiskey in my hands.
This would be me! Since Katelynn started school I like her so much more!

September 9th, 2013, 08:04 PM
See I guess I am a bit weird. I really don't have any problem with spending all my time with my kids. I*already do it anyway and whenever we have our goddaughter come over which is a lot she always brings tons and tons of homework so we are always helping her with that. She usually spends weekends with us as her dad isn't in the picture and my DH is the only male role model/father figure she has. And the amount of school work she is just given and none of it even explained to her is ridiculous. And quite frankly the bullying I experienced in school really messed with me and that wasn't cause I was a nerd but not rich. And due to the sexual abuse I suffered as a child I am extremely paranoid about my kids safety. Especially my daughters.
My SIL home schools also and my BIL is genius level smart (he has tons of patents and does stuff for the pentagon....googling his name pulls about 30 pages of his work and patents lol) and does courses for his kids that I know I can always borrow the stuff he has done plus my brothers help and the online courses. I know it will fit perfectly and I am not only happy but excited to follow this path and journey
KellBell2621 likes this.

September 9th, 2013, 08:54 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We have been homeschooling since pulling our oldest out of kindergarten back in 2001.

It isn't as "weird" as it used to be.
MamaSkunk likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 9th, 2013, 11:41 PM
What courses do you use Jennifer? And yay glad to see someone else here does also home school

September 10th, 2013, 07:22 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
This is me too. Lily and I have the same high stress personality which means we butt heads a lot. She would question every single thing I would try to teach her just because she likes to push my buttons. I can't wait until middle school I commend anyone who has the patience to provide a great education at home. We are lucky to have great public schools and magnet programs within our school system
navywifey2003 and MerinSun like this.
September 10th, 2013, 10:39 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
What courses do you use Jennifer? And yay glad to see someone else here does also home school
We are "eclectic" I suppose, with a good dose of unschooling just to keep things interesting. For the elementary grades I've settled on MCP workbooks (grades K through 3) and then Saxon for math, supplemented with online drill for learning the basic facts. For English we use Learning Language Arts Through Literature and also Writing Strands for upper elementary. For other subjects (history, science, art, etc) I just kind of wing it with the younger kids. We do seasonal projects, we read a lot, write letters (penpals and grandparents), spend a lot of time outside for nature study. The younger kids also tend to listen in on the older kids' lessons, and I'm amazed how much they learn from that. We also use the computer for educational videos, games, and drills. One thing I regret is that we do not have a homeschool group nearby, and there really isn't much opportunity for field trips because of where we live.
MamaSkunk likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 10th, 2013, 11:19 AM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
I want to add I don't think it's weird. I was very good at school, scored very well on my ACT but HATED school and didn't graduate college. I probably don't have any business trying to teach haha. I'm wondering if I would get through the lessons or if we would end up giggling and cracking jokes. Interesting though, Easton asked about homeschooling. I'm wondering how he even knows about it.
MamaSkunk likes this.

September 10th, 2013, 01:41 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started homeschooling this year (my oldest is in kindergarten). I absolutely love it. Even my DH who was not a fan of homeschool now is on board and even teaches every other Friday to give me time off to plan the next two weeks out. That is great you already know of a homeschool group you can get connected with.
MamaSkunk likes this.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
September 10th, 2013, 11:13 PM
I am just glad we made this decision early so I can look into different curriculum and decide what will work best for us. My DD is fairly advanced so I anticipated on having to make sure she is challenged enough. She already knows how to spell and read her name at 2 and because of my brother and from ni hao kailan she speaks about 30 words in mandarin Chinese...which of course I have no clue what she's saying lol.
Dawn he could know from TV or something. And some courses like online ones you still have attendance guidelines which I like to keep me on track lol.

I do have to research all the different methods as I had no idea there were so many!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search