How much and how often

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2013, 04:38 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
How much do you spend on groceries? How often do you go shopping?

September 11th, 2013, 06:11 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We spend about $100/week, which feeds me, DH, and my 9 yo stepdaughter who is with us half of each week. Included in that $100/wk is the occasional bag of dog food and diaper purchases.

September 11th, 2013, 06:27 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
too darn much and way too often.

Seriously, girls... you don't wanna know what I spend on groceries, but it is significantly more than our mortgage every month. We try to do "big shopping" once or twice a month and then go out a couple times a week to pick up milk, produce, and incidentals.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 11th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Super Mommy
i'd say around 90/week..sometimes more sometimes less. we're trying to save money to move to a better apartment so we try to go to aldis or save a lot too now which helps. but we also spend a bit on fast food (horrible i know!) maybe 20/week on that - definitely trying to cut back on that too though.
September 11th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We spend between $50 and $70 a week. We go every Sunday.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
September 11th, 2013, 08:55 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh. A scary amount. I would say between 600-700 a month. We shop every weekend and sometimes an extra trip to Sam's every few weeks. We have to shop that often because the majority of our groceries are fresh fruit and vegetables.

September 12th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say about $125 to $150 a week - but I have an 8 and 10 year old Like Valerie said, the fruits and veggies are what gets you. Elli HATES the car, so we always eat at home. Meat purchases actually are not the high part - it is cantalope, watermelon, berries, etc.

September 12th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah $125-$200 a week for us. Part of the problem for us is that we never know what we want and we drag our feet making a list and then shopping for it. So we end up buying a bunch of stuff and hope for the best, lol.

This week is going to suck, though. We're going to try do a vegetarian challenge. DH went out and bought stuff for it. He came back with black pasta. Black pasta, in case you didn't know, is made with some squid's ink. Doesn't hurt the squid. I told him absolutely not. So now we have this packet of expensive noodles sitting in our cabinet that he's just going to have to figure out something for himself, lol.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

September 12th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I shop every Monday morning. I'm actually super proud of how much I spend on groceries. The cost of food in Ontario is stupidly expensive compared to when we lived in Arizona, but I still manage to come in under my $500/month budget - and that includes diapers, toiletries, cleaning supplies and paper products like TP and paper towels. I keep the cost down by planning out all meals for the week in advance and pretty much only buying the ingredients I need that week. I also do a lot of dehydrating, freezing, and canning when things are available in bulk.

September 12th, 2013, 08:17 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Squid ink? I've never heard of that, I'd be curious to try it!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 12th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, come on over then! You can eat my portion!

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

September 12th, 2013, 11:54 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Regular grocery store $125 - $200 a week and Costco about 1x a month at close to $200.

Ours is mostly fruits and vegetables, also. The Gluten free items really pad our bill a lot. We don't buy much, but just a few small things like pancakes for week day breakfast, animal crackers for snacks and a loaf of bread would run about $15-$20.
September 12th, 2013, 06:45 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Eveey Sunday. Between $125-$175. Higher bill is when I need toiletries. Detergent and cleaning supplies are ridiculous! I plan out all meals. Luckily we haven't had to buy diapers yet cause we got so many before baby.

~Kristin~
September 13th, 2013, 12:55 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We only go grocery shopping when we really, really need to. We're trying really hard to save money and we've started using coupons and cut way back on the non-essential stuff. I'd say we spend about $300 on groceries that include what we take to work for lunch. We spend about another $150 on baby stuff. Formula is freaking expensive and it irritates me to no end.

September 13th, 2013, 05:44 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'd say probably $100-$150 a week. DH does the shopping so I don't know the exact total. We shop at Aldi so we do save some money. We would do better if we did meal planning.
September 13th, 2013, 09:41 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every Saturday we grocery shop and we spend about $160 per week. Most of our money goes towards meat (all from local farmers so it gets a little expensive) and fruits and veggies. Oh and my DS2 goats milk is pretty expensive but I am trying to cut him down to only 1/2 gallon a week.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search