Question on green poo and pumping

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MerinSun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
While Ellianna gets only breastmilk, at least 1/2 is out of a bottle as I am back to work. Last night and today she was really fussy. I just got an e-mail from my Mom (lucky to have her as our daycare ) that Ellianna's poo was really green. I know this can be an imbalance of foremilk and not enough hind milk. I know that I should feed her from one breast at a time and make sure she latches well. I think the problem is when I pump. Any advice on how to get proper balance when pumping. I pump every 3-4 hours from each breast (except first thing in the morning, I feed from one side and pump the otherside).

September 12th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What does your milk look like as you pump? Is it clear or really thin looking in the beginning and then deepening to a creamy white?

Or is it pretty much white from the beginning?

The only thing i can recommend is pumping after she eats so you're only getting the hind milk, but if you do that you might not get as much. I suppose you could also store a whole day's worth of pumps in the fridge and then at night mix them all together so the pumps that have more hindmilk get mixed with those with more foremilk.

Additionally, one day of green poo does not mean an imbalance. Kids poop all sorts of colors and green can be normal. For instance, I pump liquid cheeseburger and every once in a while Rory will throw me a green or gray poopy diaper.

If it is an imbalance and it is only occurring when you pump and not when you BF you can talk to your LC about how to fortify your milk. This may mean leaving a jar of milk in your fridge for a day or two and harvesting the cream off the top or tossing in a teaspoon of formula.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

September 14th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Luckily the green poo with mucus passed and we are back to yellow. Now when I pump, I try to mix all from the day together in one container, and portion out. (She drinks about 17 ounces of pumped a day while I am at work).

September 14th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yay! So glad! You can look into getting the Dr. Brown's mixer pitcher. We just bought one to better prepare Rory's feeds at night but I thought it would work well to do what you're describing as well
Kim3 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

September 14th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This happens to us sometimes. The dr said not to worry about it and that BF babies poop can be all sorts of colors. I mix what I pump all together so that the hindmilk gets all mixed. Some of my early morning pumps can been almost all foremilk.
September 15th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Katie - my first milk of the day is like extra watery skim milk. I usually pump 5 ounces in the morning, so if she gets this it is all foremilk probably.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search