cereal?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone giving baby cereal yet? In bottle or bowl? What made you start? Our pedi says 4 months for baby food for formula fed babies, but is it the same for cereal? I've read that it's sometimes Added to their night bottle to help them sleep better. Advice?
September 20th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The guidelines have actually been changed to not recommending cereal/solids before 6 months. With my DD, we started cereal at 5 months and solids at 5 1/2 months. I'm not planning on giving Aidan any cereal and I'm considering BLW...

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 20th, 2013, 08:44 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Cereal is considered a solid. I do not really recommend cereal in a bottle. And believe it or not my experience has shown solids do not make them sleep longer. Some babies it might but solids did not make my older 3 sleep any longer, David and Katelynn did not sleep through until they were 2, Everett was 18 months. David and Katelynn were both ff. solids can be hard on their tummies so it's recommended to wait until 6 months.

September 20th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're not doing any solids until 6 months, and then we're doing baby-led weaning, so no cereal.

September 20th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I don't plan to even introduce cereal till 6 months old. My cousin started giving her daughter veggies at 4 months old because her pedi told her too 0.o I started cereal at 5 months with the girls and solids at 5 months old but this time I plan to wait till at least 6 months. I never gave it in a bottle with either and Madison was FF and Hailey was BF. Zack is EBF so we will stick with that for now. But he's only going to be 3 months old anyway lol

September 20th, 2013, 10:57 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Adding cereal to a bottle to help them sleep is an old wives tale. It's just adding empty calories when they need to get their nutrition from formula/breastmilk. I skipped cereal with Abri and didn't even try pures until 7 months. She hated any sort of food until 9 months. Just remember- food before one is just for fun
September 20th, 2013, 12:53 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Can someone explain baby lead weening to me
September 20th, 2013, 01:47 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No no no cereals or purees before six months. Studies have shown in that feeding them any solids before 6 months can lead to diabetes, eating disorders and childhood obesity as well as other problems. And it doesn't help them sleep thru the night. They get all the nutrition they need from their formula and breast milk. As Courtney said food before 1 is just for fun!
Baby led weaning is letting the baby choose their own time to choose to eat by providing finger foods etc and letting them feed themselves instead of feeding a puree or cereal and you shoving the spoon in their mouth. Its giving them things like say steamed green beans or cooked carrots etc and letting them eat it themselves. We did a form of BLW with DD and she was using a fork and spoon on her own to feed herself at 7/8 months. Cause she was able to do it on her own terms when she was ready.

September 20th, 2013, 01:48 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is a great link on when to start solids. Baby Food: Introducing Solid Foods

I will also re-affirm the fact that solids do not help them sleep through the night. Bourne was almost 2 before he slept through the night. He still wakes up and calls out for us most nights. Sleeping is more genetic than anything.
September 20th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When Ellianna wants more than 32 ounces of bm per day, we will likely go to cereal She is close This is part for her and part for me. I am 5'7" and was 138 when I got pg. I am currently 122 and dropping due to bf. I can really only give her 32 ounces before it is very hard on me. It is then either cereal or formula. I tend do just then add some cereal.

September 20th, 2013, 06:26 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No solids for Morgan til 6 months at least, and we'll probably just skip cereal. Morgan has enough stomach issues, so I don't want to force solids on her before her stomach is mature enough. I plan on making homemade purees.

September 20th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We're not doing solids until 6 months, and I'm probably going to do baby led weaning

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
September 20th, 2013, 06:58 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan to do baby lead weaning with Porter after 6 months. The pediatrician mentioned at his 2 month appointment that we could start talking solids at his 4 month appointment and I didn't say anything to him then, but I def plan to wait until 6 months at least.

My sister in law has been putting rice cereal in her baby's formula (all feedings) since he was like 4 or 6 weeks or something because the pediatrician told her it would help with his reflux. (He's 6 weeks older than Porter.) I don't know if it really helped with that bc he's on meds too, but I do know he has lots of constipation issues since she started doing that. He does sleep through the night though, which I am jealous of, and has since 10 or 12 weeks, but I don't think that really has anything to do with it.
September 21st, 2013, 05:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ellianna sttn at least 50% of the time and she gets only bm. My mom insists a full belly helps them sleep - although I just do marathon nursing at night until 9 or 10. She then often sleeps until somewhere between 5 and 8.

September 21st, 2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
Ellianna sttn at least 50% of the time and she gets only bm. My mom insists a full belly helps them sleep - although I just do marathon nursing at night until 9 or 10. She then often sleeps until somewhere between 5 and 8.
I try this with Porter and he still doesn't sleep more than 4 hours in a row lately. I've tried a bottle of bm (after lots of nursing all evening) to make sure he has a full tummy and he still won't sleep. I think he has my super-super-skinny-can-eat-whatever-he-wants husband's metabolism.
September 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyBee View Post
I try this with Porter and he still doesn't sleep more than 4 hours in a row lately. I've tried a bottle of bm (after lots of nursing all evening) to make sure he has a full tummy and he still won't sleep. I think he has my super-super-skinny-can-eat-whatever-he-wants husband's metabolism.
Abri used to nurse constantly from 7-9 every night and was up every 2 hours until 15 months old. Lily never did the marathon nursing and STTN at 10 weeks. Henry is somewhere in the middle. I think some babies just sleep better than others regardless of how they eat
September 21st, 2013, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post

Abri used to nurse constantly from 7-9 every night and was up every 2 hours until 15 months old. Lily never did the marathon nursing and STTN at 10 weeks. Henry is somewhere in the middle. I think some babies just sleep better than others regardless of how they eat
Yeah, probably so. I wish he liked to sleep as much as I do! Lol.
September 22nd, 2013, 07:25 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Morgan started sttn at 2 months old, getting exclusively BM. She had a set back for a couple of weeks while we weaned out of the swaddle, but she seems to be back to sleeping from 8-4.

September 22nd, 2013, 08:18 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
i really want to do the baby led weaning in hopes that it will make her a less picky eater
DS is the worst when it comes to food and we did the jar food with him (though i'm also a picky eater so im guessing it may be partly genetic)
Our ped suggested the cereal in the bottle to weigh down the food and keep her from puking/spitting up as much - didnt work and just made her puke grosser and actaully made her poop looser
that being said shes been STTN since about 6 weeks. DS never did that until about 16 months. and we didnt do much different with him than we've done with her so yeah, i really think its all about the kid

September 22nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I probably won't start anything until between 6 and 9 months... I sort of hate the cereal and none of my kids liked it anyway so I will probably skip that completely.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search