Working and Nursing

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2013, 08:27 PM
Super Mommy
Hey Ladies! I will be going back to work next month and I'm really struggling with the idea of nursing/pumping and working full time.

Background - Nursing DD #1 was a major challenge and I hated it. It was painful the entire time and I gave up at 4 months. DD #2 has been much easier and I feel more passionate about it this time around. My milk supply is crap, so I have to supplement 1, sometimes 2, bottles a day right now. I average 2 oz a side when I do pump. Harper will be almost 5 months old when I return to work. I feel like if I make it six months, I will have met my goal.

I am a teacher, so there will be days where my 30 min. lunch break is the only break I get all day. I was thinking I could nurse Harper in the morning before work (6:20.) Pump at lunch or during my break (11:30). Then nurse or pump when I pick her up (4:00). Then nurse again before bed (8:00). She would obviously get at least 2-3 bottles of formula (or pumped milk) during the day at the sitter's house.

Am I crazy to think this could work? If I only end up feeding or pumping 4 times a day will that totally kill my milk supply? I feel like this would be easier if I had a normal job that I could take a 15 min. break to pump anytime I want. Not so easy when I have 18 seven year olds under my feet all day. Advice?
September 22nd, 2013, 05:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
All I can say is that it is not easy - but I have managed to do it. I am an attorney and sometimes my schedule is workable and sometimes it is super difficult. Generally Ellianna sleeps through the night, so I pump an extra 5 ounces between when she goes to bed and when she wakes. By pumping I keep up that supply. If I am in the office, I pump every 3 hours. This week I am in court 2 hours away. Pump before I leave, pump in the car when I get there, and asked the Judge for a private room at lunch. (I found you cannot be shy - just got to be open that you need an area - generally if you say I have a new baby that I nurse, is there any room I can use in private for 15 minutes - they get the idea). Then I pump as soon as I get back to my car. I just carry a blanket in the car. I freeze any extra for days when the pumping is less than optimal. Generally my Monday supply is great after a weekend is nursing and my Friday supply is less than good. That is when I used the extra that I pumped from early in the week.

It is a challenge - but works for us. Any way you can pump at a time when kids are in specials or you have any part of a free period? You could always skip pumping and just nurse 3 times per day. For me, I just enjoy sitting and nursing versus giving her a bottle (which she will not take from me)

September 22nd, 2013, 08:19 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have pretty much the same schedule. I feed DD in the morning around 6:30, pump at lunch time, then pump again on my way home around 4:30. I nurse on demand until bedtime at 8:00. She usually sttn (well, til 4am or so) and I nurse then. My supply was more than adequate at the beginning. I would be lying if I said it hasn't suffered a little, but I have been able to make it work. The fact that Morgan doesn't eat much during the day makes things a little easier. She seems to hold off til I get home then nurse for quite awhile.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search