BM Stash

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2013, 06:14 AM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For those of you breastfeeding, do you pump at all? If so, how much do you have stored? When do you use it? Is it for work or is it just for emergencies? I counted my bags in the freezer the other day and they are each roughly 3 ounces, so I have about 80 ounces in there I think. I only pump once a day, in the morning. I usually block feed, unless he seems extra hungry, so I usually pump one side while he eats on the other and can usually get 3 ounces or close to it from that. On days that I have to leave him with my husband in the mornings, sometimes he'll use that milk or on days I teach Zumba and take Porter to the Y, it goes with us there and he usually gets it in the nursery. Other days I'll use it if we go out to dinner or something. Otherwise it gets frozen. I'll let my husband give him a bottle of frozen milk here and there so maybe I can get a nap, but for some reason I'm very protective of it and don't want to use it! Why, I have no idea. If he decides to give him a bottle instead of waking me up (trying to be nice!), I almost get mad that he's using it even though that is what it is there for! Haha.
September 23rd, 2013, 06:23 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I have maybe 15 oz in the freezer. I only pump occasionally and only if I am having someone babysit Henry. If that's the case then I pump 5 days in advanced to have 5 bottles just in case. I usually have one or two leftover that I freeze. I'm kind of protective of my tiny stash too. I went for a run at 5 am last week. I guess Henry woke up and was frantic without me, so DH gave him a bottle. I was only gone an hour!
September 23rd, 2013, 06:57 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm super protective of my stash too. I got so mad one day when I had to take DD to the doctor and my mom gave Aidan a bottle. I finally found a bottle he will take easily tho, so I plan on giving him one bottle a day and pumping once or twice everyday.

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 23rd, 2013, 07:35 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one protective of their stash!
September 23rd, 2013, 08:29 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I have 23 x 6oz bags (138 oz total) in the back of the freezer. I do not pump anymore and the last time I tried to give him a bottle (was the first bag I pumped so it was still some Colostrum) he wouldn't take it. He's a straight from the tap boy lol. We normally feed from one side each feeding unless he still seems hungry then he gets both sides. I have the stash though for times when we are away from each other and someone needs to feed him a bottle. That is if he will take it.

September 23rd, 2013, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I pump once a day in the morning. I need to make sure I have 2-3 bottles for church times (Wed nights and Sun mornings) so when I leave Arthur alone with DH he can feed him. Whatever is left in the fridge on Sunday afternoon gets frozen and I start fresh on Monday morning. I have 13 bags in the freezer (btwn 6-8 oz per bag). I'm pretty happy with my stash, because if I don't leave enough for DH to feed Arthur while I'm gone, or if I have to be gone unexpectedly, DH can take a bag out, and that's about 1 1/2 to 2 bottles for him.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
September 23rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I don't pump, so I don't have a stash. Sometimes I wish I did. But I just don't have any extra time.

September 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
I don't pump, so I don't have a stash. Sometimes I wish I did. But I just don't have any extra time.
Pumping is time consuming. That's why I only pump once a day and usually pump one side while he eats on the other. Less time consuming and I tend to get more that way. If I could get out of pumping every day and just pump on the days I needed it, I would, but I'm afraid that then I wouldn't get enough when I did pump to make a whole bottle. And it's easier for the gym to just take fresh/refrigerated milk rather than frozen for them to have to thaw out. Luckily he has taken the bottle like a pro from the first time we tried it. He doesn't seem to get confused between the two at all. I bought preemie nipples so they are the slowest flow and he has to work hard to get it out, that way he doesn't get used to a faster flow from the bottle. I was afraid they might be too slow, but they seem to work perfectly! I would prefer to nurse him all the time and when my husband watches him I try to get him to make him hold out until I get home if he can, but it's nice to know he will take a bottle and I do have that milk stored in case we need it!
September 23rd, 2013, 02:25 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pump after he nurses in the morning and again at work in the afternoons. I send 20 oz a day to Muriel's. I try to keep one - two extra bottles in the fridge for back up, but don't stress too much because I easily pump 7-10 oz. each morning after he nurses. I think my freezer stash is almost 200 oz at this point. I have a couple of over night trips planned in Nov. and April away from him, so they will be used for that. Also if I get over zealous on freezing, I pull a bag or two out on Monday. Muriel also keeps 20 oz. in her freezer for emergencies.
September 23rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Well, now that he is nursing and I'm not exclusively pumping, I never pump. Seriously, after 3 months of pumping 6-8 times a day every day, I don't even want to look at that pump! John has had a couple bottles at times when I haven't been available, but I still have quite a stash in the freezer.

Most of the babies I nursed, I didn't even own a pump and had no stash. It is nice, but not necessary.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 23rd, 2013, 05:32 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have about 40 ounces frozen. My supply has taken a small dip as of late, but I'm hoping I won't need to get into the stash to keep up with feedings. Of course today my FIL left 2 full bottles in the car for 3 hours, so now I'm only one day with bottles. Usually Morgan's bottles are pumped 3-4 days prior. Now I'm only 2 days ahead. Eek!

September 26th, 2013, 04:55 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have about 142oz in the freezer and I just pumped off another 8 oz from last night. But Trey refuses to take the bottle. I actually get protective as well saying "Oh, I am on my way home and will be there shortly" or "I won't be gone that long so don't bother giving him a bottle".....i hate that he is not taking a bottle. I have tried EVERY bottle I have and he refuses it. We even tried the "cup" and syringe idea and he just spits it out...not spit up but just spits like he doesn't want it.

September 27th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I pump at work, actually I start at 5am, pump at 5, then feed, then pump on the way to work, then at 10am, 12:15pm, 2pm and then on the way home from work around 4:30pm. This is so I have enough fresh for the next day for the baby sitter. The rest of the day I just nurse them. I can usually get a few extra oz each day so I over the course of the past month working I have save 200oz. I haven't had to use any yet and I find myself very protective of it. I will go out of my way to make it work so either I feed them or they only use the fresh that I have rotating. I always have 27oz total for their 4 bottles while I work plus 6 or 7 spare oz fresh in case I'm later than usual or something happens where they will need an extra feeding. Most days I pump about 30 to MAYBE 32 oz.
September 28th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I pump every day due to work. I stash any extra I can get in the freezer. I have about 80 ounces. I have not had to use any yet. However, I have been doing really long days at work and have 2 more of those days to go. I was worried I would run low on milk so I was glad to have a stash. I am super protective of it. I call my Mom each day on my way home from work. I kinda get upset if she knows I will be there in 10 minutes and still gives Ellianna a bottle. I should not worry so much though since I seem to be doing well with having enough. I just know that it is not something I can go to the store and purchase. It is stressful at times knowing that unless I pump enough she could be hungry. That is why I keep trying to keep the stash.

September 28th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have 20-30 oz in the freezer. I pump every so often, just to have some milk available if I want to drink a lot one night or if DH and I want to go out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search