Question about car seats

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so Finn is a big baby. He was nearly 10 lbs at birth and is over 16 lbs now, and he's long. He's pretty much outgrown his infant carrier car seat already (it says up to 24 lbs - yeah right). I bought a big huge, convertible, extended rear-facing seat with all the bells and whistles. It was ridiculously expensive, but hopefully we won't need another car seat for a very long time, if ever since it converts to front-facing and booster.

But once I bought it, I realized...I still have to use the infant seat even though he's too big for it...because he can't sit up on his own yet. How on earth am I supposed to take him with me when I go grocery shopping, if he can't sit in the cart? How am I supposed to take him anywhere that I have to carry anything when I'm carrying him? I tried carrying him in the tummy pack last time I went shopping, but that didn't work out very well. I couldn't bend over the cart to reach to the bottom without squishing him. Also, having had several shoulder surgeries, carrying him for any extended period in the tummy pack puts a ton of stress on my shoulders and puts me out of commission for days. I can carry him in my arms around the house and stuff, but at home I can always set him down if I need to. When we're out, there's nowhere to set him.

So, for you moms that have car seats that stay in the car...what do you do with the baby when you're out?

September 30th, 2013, 08:00 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Even though we still have an infant carrier we wear Payson everywhere. We use an ergo or a boba. What type of carrier do you have?

September 30th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Infantino...it's not the greatest, but knowing I wouldn't be able to wear him very long because of my shoulder issues, I couldn't justify spending a ton on a carrier that would only be used for two months.

September 30th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took both DD and Aidan to the store the other day by myself... It was ridiculous. I put DD in the cart and carried Aidan, in my arms, the entire time. I will be so glad when he can sit up on his own but until then, I will wait to go shopping until someone else can go. If DH or my mom is with me, we put Aidan in the stroller and DD in the cart. I have no advice. Sorry Hun. Hope you get it figured out.

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 30th, 2013, 09:24 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I put Tristan in the ring sling or my woven wrap.

September 30th, 2013, 02:42 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Is the shoulder issue because of putting too much strain on your shoulders? If so, would another type of carrier do a better job of distributing the weight evenly? I was able to use our Ergo until Abri was walking (about 25 lbs) and it was still comfortable
September 30th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Keep a bouncer in your trunk? Otherwise I don't know I'm sorry!

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

September 30th, 2013, 05:30 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Sometimes I think the best option would be to never go shopping (or out in public generally) until the child is like 12.

Usually when we are shopping I either wear John, or carry him, or have one of the other kids carry him. Many stores have carts with an infant seat built right in. Maybe you can arrange for somebody to keep him when you do your main grocery shopping.

If you would be interested, I have seen traditional infant carriers that only wrapped around the body and didn't go over the shoulder(s) at all. I have no idea what they are called, maybe somebody else knows!
ade110 likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 30th, 2013, 06:58 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
two suggestions
i know a few of my grocery stores have the baby carrier/seat thing attached to the cart so you can lay the baby down in it
my other suggestion would be to get a nice blanket and lay it down in the big part of the cart and lay baby down in there, you'd just have to put your grocery on the bottom part and the seat where the kid would sit

October 1st, 2013, 07:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Both of the babies hate their car seats. We either use a stroller or most often DH and I each carry a baby in the ergo or mei tei. Infantino makes a mei tei(that's what we have) and it is pretty cheap. It is pretty supportive and easy to use.
October 1st, 2013, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We go grocery shopping as a team, and I wear the baby in our moby and DH takes care of taking everything out of the cart at checkout. I know our grocery store has carts with the infant seat, so if yours does, that could be an option.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search