Your parents

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2013, 10:25 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Are you close to your parents? Has becoming a mother changed your relationship?

Last edited by navywifey2003; October 2nd, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
October 2nd, 2013, 08:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm insanely close with my parents, always have been. Since moving out 10 years ago to go to college, I have talked to my mom every night. Every. Night. I talk to both my parents religiously at 9pm central time every sunday, and that's what it's been like for 10 years. The only thing since becoming a mom that's changed is we now video chat more often. They have to see their grandson To give a better idea of my relationship with my parents, I asked my mom to be my matron of honor in my wedding. She turned me down saying she just wanted to be "mom"

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
October 2nd, 2013, 11:57 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm very close with my parents- literally and figuratively. They live down the street from us. My mom and I are very similar so we hang out some each week or at least talk on the phone. I take the kids to their house once a week for dinner. My mom helps me with sewing projects, although now it's more for small talk or distracting the kids while I sew. We also like to shop together. We used to watch America's Next Top Model and Project Runway at our houses and then call each other to discuss. My dad is a huge help with the girls and for stuff around the house if DH is working. He does a great job babysitting. Sometimes he takes Lily to dance practice, and afterwards he stops at a convenient store and buys her whatever she picks out for a snack (although I did suggest to lay off the sugar after she ran around my house for 20 minutes on a sugar high). If he babysits Abri, he likes to take her to our local ice cream shop and then window shop at the cat rescue store and just let her talk his ear off. DH's father passed away years ago, so he enjoys spending time with my dad too.

I don't think our relationship has changed much since becoming a mother.

Last edited by QueenCrafty; October 2nd, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
October 2nd, 2013, 12:01 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been close to my mom since I hit about 25. Since becoming a mom I talk to my mom at least a few nights a week. Sometimes every night. Sometimes I just call her to whine about dealing with a 2 year old if I had a tough day. My dad....not so much. As a child I was a daddys girl. But my dad now tries to control my every move and I now see how controlling he is and he is the worlds worst gossip and I can't tell him anything without him spreading it to the entire town...example he told a random stranger he met over the fourth of July that I was having problems breast feeding. The more I have to deal with my dad the more I hate him.

October 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
PregnantAtLast's Avatar Loving my baby boy
Yes very close, it hasnt really changed our relationship as we were close already

October 2nd, 2013, 04:01 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No relationship with my mother at all. I don't know if things have changed with my dad, but we def see each other more.
October 3rd, 2013, 04:20 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't say I'm extremely close to either of my parents. Since becoming a mom, I have a much better relationship with my dad. We get along better and we visit each other more but we don't just call each other to chit chat or anything. I actually used to be very close to my mom but she has been going through a midlife crisis or something over the past few years. She has become super self absorbed and flaky- I can't depend on her or anything. So, as a result, we have kinda drifted apart. We still talk and visit but not nearly as much as we used to.

October 3rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My parents live a few blocks away. When DH got his job out here we specifically moved back to my hometown even though it makes his commute longer. It has been awesome having my parents so close by. I may complain about them never taking M overnight but really, they help us a lot. Especially since my injury has limited me a lot with M, I can't take her outside to play because she's a bolter and I can't run. My mom takes her for a few hours almost every afternoon these past few weeks and they have a special grandma/granddaughter bond. She does spoil her and I have to tell her not to feed her whatever she wants right before dinner. My dad usually walks her home before dinner. And we will go over there for a takeout dinner over the weekend and help out in the garden or whatever else they need. I am my mom's go to for fashion and decorating advice as well as technical assistance. Although I have finally taught her how to Google things herself so she is starting to learn

I guess we are closer now that I am a parent. We certainly moved close to them purposefully because of the kids. I believe strongly in children having multiple trusted adult caregivers and M at least has LOVED having her grandparents in her life. I was close enough to them before, talked on the phone or Skype maybe once a week, but yeah for sure closer now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search