What do you dislike about nursing

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 2 Post By MissyBee
  • 1 Post By Madison.Hailey.Zack

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There has been a lot of support to get mothers to breastfeed. I am proud that I have breastfed both of my sons past one year and hope to do the same with Ellianna. I love the ease of not having to use bottles when I am with her. I love going out and having the food available on demand. I will admit though that there are parts that I just don't like.

1) Pumping. Ughh. I love that Ellianna has my breastmilk while I am at work. I will admit though that I really do not like pumping.

Trying to always find clothing that permits nursing. I got the Hanna Anderson catalog and saw really cute family outfit. However, there is no way I can wear a sweater dress that does not have buttons in the front. How could I possible nurse without pulling the entire dress up. There are so many clothes in my closet that I simply cannot wear. I don't like to always think about "access".

OK ladies - it may not be socially acceptable. Be honest - there must be parts of nursing that you just don't like.

October 4th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Super Mommy
i hear ya, i LOVE bf'ing but some things i don't like...
-if she only nurses for a few min at a time..i worry she's not eating enough and if i have to pump
-pumping in the car..its super convenient but a hassle and its one more thing to pack up
-she doesnt really have a set schedule on eating yet..she might nurse every hour or every 3, just depends on her mood!
October 4th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lack of sleep and lack of alcohol.

I was doing ok until a couple of weeks ago, when Finn decided he needs to eat every hour. Since then I haven't gotten more than an hour of sleep at a time and I'm pretty much falling apart.

October 4th, 2013, 09:06 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Lack of alcohol and specific wardrobe. I'm not a big drinker anyway, but I do enjoy a nice glass of wine. Henry is unpredictable with nursing in the evenings so I just don't drink. It is also frustrating that several outfits I have just aren't conducive to nursing.
October 4th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If I had to pump, I don't know if I would do it, honestly. I love the act of breastfeeding and the hormones that flow, the way you connect with the baby and feel all lovey dovey, it is awesome and makes the all-night sessions and so on worthwhile to me. I have only ever hand pumped to relieve engorgement but it is not fun at all. I am sort of a selfish breastfeeder I guess but I am really lucky to not need to consider pumping, as a SAHM with a solid supply. I admire you pumping mamas!

I miss having boobs that stay roughly the same size from hour to hour that's about it though. I will have a small glass of wine or half a beer with dinner and not worry about it, I am not a big drinker anyway. My whole wardrobe is nursing friendly at this point so I don't really mind that. I look forward to getting past the random spitup stage when I might be able to wear nicer knit sweaters again, but that's not BFing specific.

October 4th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Pumping....I can't stand it.

I also can't stand not being able to wear cute things...and that all of my clothes don't fit. I eat a lot but I am still losing too much weight due to nursing twins. I worry my milk doesn't have enough because I lose so much. I think it has finally come a stop but all my clothes are falling off of me.
October 4th, 2013, 05:43 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I HATE pumping. HAAAAAAATE.

I hate having to wear breast pads and a sports bra because I still leak.

Lately Morgan has been pulling away with my nipple in her mouth. She thinks it's funny. Me? Not so much.

Other than that, I really enjoy it. It is a bonding experience that cannot be duplicated.

October 4th, 2013, 06:46 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I hate that I don't lose weight when breastfeeding. I always hold onto an additional 5-10 lbs until I wean. I am actually wearing maternity pants right now because most of my old summer clothes don't fit. Sigh.
October 4th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
The random letdowns! Although those are almost gone, thank goodness. I wear nursing pads if I leave the house, but otherwise I go braless and end up having to change shirts if I have a random letdown.

Similarly, I hate that both boobs letdown at the same time. So when I'm nursing on one side, the other side starts leaking. And again, I'm braless most of the time. So I have to remember to put something on the other boob. I forget a lot and feel the drip drip drip on my belly. Blah!

October 4th, 2013, 08:47 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Maybe this is TMI, but DH has to abide by a fairly strict "don't touch the boobs" policy. No matter how deep Baby is sleeping, if DH gets a little handsy I swear Baby can sense the intrusion on his territory and will wake up wanting to be fed. Every time.
Kim3 likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

October 6th, 2013, 06:48 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I detest pumping. This probably sounds selfish but I feel like so much of my work day is taken up with pumping. I mean I love that she has breast milk while I'm away but I hate that every freaking time I pump I have to set everything up, pump, break it all back down, clean it, pack it away...only to do it all over again in a few hours.

I also hate the random letdowns. I'm still getting those and, TMI warning, I get them when we DTD. Nothing takes the steam out of some adult action like my body reminding me that my baby will need to eat soon.

October 6th, 2013, 07:18 AM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't like the fact that I have to do all the night time feedings. If I had my husband give him a bottle, I would still have to get up and pump, so it basically defeats the purpose of him doing it in the first place. But because of this he gets to sleep and I don't. I love breastfeeding and I plan to do it for at least a year and I wouldn't change that just so I could sleep. But goodness, a whole night of sleep where he got up to feed the baby would change my world right now!
TeresaV and Joanne Nicole like this.
October 6th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I also have an issue with trying to find things to wear that have layers and have easy access for him to nurse.

I also dread nursing him at certain places. I try and nurse him before we leave and after we get home. I'm still working on nursing in public. I nursed him at the movie night at Madison's school the other night but used a blanket since there were so many people around including kids. That didn't bother me but then we went to a birthday party and I had to go in a separate room and those times suck.

October 6th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I would like to add something.

Morgan has sttn the last 2 nights, but I have had to get up around 3 because my boobs were so engorged. So, um, not getting a full night's sleep because of my freakin boobs really ticks me off.

October 6th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I want my freedom back, I'm not really a drinker but I miss being able to get drunk if I want to lol I also miss being able to do things without having a certain time frame. I miss the intimacy with my hubby. Breast feeding kills my sex drive, not ever in the mood. I will miss breast feeding when I'm done but not that much lol

October 7th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleykathleen View Post
I detest pumping. This probably sounds selfish but I feel like so much of my work day is taken up with pumping. I mean I love that she has breast milk while I'm away but I hate that every freaking time I pump I have to set everything up, pump, break it all back down, clean it, pack it away...only to do it all over again in a few hours.

I also hate the random letdowns. I'm still getting those and, TMI warning, I get them when we DTD. Nothing takes the steam out of some adult action like my body reminding me that my baby will need to eat soon.
I can fix part of your issue! Get a cooler bag that will hold your pump parts fully assembled. When you pump, remove the valves and horns, screw lids onto the bottles, place in bag (or place in a separate bag with an ice pack). Place the valves and horns in bag. Make sure you have a small ice pack. Stick in the fridge. When it's time to pump again just screw the valves/horns onto new bottles and repeat. You do not need to wash every time so there's no need to do a complete breakdown.

Because I EP, I have a system. I have 2 assemblies all fixed up and placed in a tray in the fridge. I use one assembly, put in the fridge. I use the other assembly, put it in the fridge. Then I empty the bottles from the first set and use the first set again. Repeat. At the end of the day I wash them.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

October 7th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hear you about sttn and pumping. I have been able to get to waiting until 7 and then pumping one side. I then wake Ellianna for the morning and she nurses the other side.

October 7th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I hate that I can't breastfeed exclusively.
October 7th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I also hate the sore letdown that comes at anytime even when he isn't nursing.
TeresaV likes this.

October 7th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison.N.Hailey'sMom View Post
I also hate the sore letdown that comes at anytime even when he isn't nursing.
Yes! I cringe when I feel it coming. It freakin HURTS!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search