So incredibly pissed.

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We hired a photographer to come to our house to take pictures of us as a family and of Rowan specifically since we don't have nice pictures of him. I told her that our house was dark and she assured me that it would be no problem because she'll bring in her own lighting.

This is a sample of what we got:

First off, the images she sent us are very small making getting larger prints impossible due to the amount of artifacting and the kind of filter she used. There's no way that I'll be able to get a 8x10 of any of these pictures. Second, the posing on some of these is awful! She says that she can't be blamed for how we posed. Well, I was *IN* the pictures so how the heck do I know what we look like? She's supposed to be guiding us! These are so awkward. Alex has snot and spit around his mouth! The one of us on the couch looks so amateur! Third, the photoshopping is HEAVY. Rory has no eyelashes in many of the pictures! Because of artifacting and the the filter she used the whites of his eyes are gray!

She refuses to send us the raw images saying that she can re-edit them but she also refuses to send them in the correct size for larger printing. Which means we are demanding a refund. Which breaks my heart. Because we can fix these images. We can make them look good if only we had the raw images. It just seriously pisses me off! None of the other photos in her portfolio look anything near this bad or awkward. She's taken pictures of my family and friends with much better results.

I'm not going to post who took these pictures because I'm not interested in doing a public humiliation. Just please tell me that I have a right to be upset, that this is not what professional photography should be.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

October 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree that the photographer should help with posing. I would want photos in a fashion that I could get 8 x 10. I have to say that I hired a photographer to take family photos and them Ellianna's Christening the next week. I saw some of the photos and she supposedly keeps sending me the disc. This has been well over a 5 weeks and no disc. I am ticked as I need those photos of Ellianna's Christening. Since we hire her, I did not take any. UUGH.

October 13th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd be pissed off, for sure. We have a pretty nice camera and take our own pics, or my FIL who is an enthusiastic hobby photographer will take some whenever he is in town. So these look like average shots for us because we are not pros, but we do get much better shots as well. I would not pay money for shots like that and it's her own fault if she didn't take the right lens or adjust the lighting in your house or ask for your son's nose to be wiped when needed or suggest poses better. The bad photo shopping is the nail in the coffin. It should only be to subtly enhance and should definitely not be obvious or fake looking. I hope she does have high res photos too and is just showing you the smaller ones but if not, that is absurd as well.

October 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, no. These are the finished products. These are what were on the disc she mailed us. DH emailed her a photo we took with our average digital camera under the same lighting conditions to show her the quality difference. He pointed out that with her nicer camera her pictures should be a lot more sharp but that is not the case. And that's due to compression and shrinking down the image before photoshopping and then increasing its size again.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

October 13th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would be pissed. Especially if I were paying for them. My sister who does photography as a hobby and takes pictures for us for free does a better job than this! I wish you lived closer to her, I would send her to you!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
October 13th, 2013, 07:32 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Yea I would not be happy at all!

October 14th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't be very happy. We have two friends that do ours. One person we loved the editing but the actual pictures and posing was bad. I pointed out things I really wanted but he basically ignored them. We didn't get any individuals of any of the kids. The newborn pictures were bad but not due to the photographer or editing. Corbin screamed his head off and I was stressed to the max. I was amazed she got anything at all. She did our maternity ones and those were amazing.
October 14th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just feel so bad harping on someone. I can't stand the idea of making someone cry. It really upsets me. And I get the feeling that we made her cry. She's giving us 50% back and I suppose that's fair. Though I'd rather a re-shoot.

October 14th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry but you should NOT feel bad!!!! She is a professional and you are paying her money to provide a service for you, if she in unable to deliver then that her problem. If she's got any integrity she is probably crying because she is disappointed in herself for messing up this project so bad, not because of anything you did. I know it can be tough to deal with hurt feelings and stuff but this is objectively not a professional quality product and you paying her 50% is actually quite generous IMO.

October 14th, 2013, 08:25 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I would be so mad! Omgosh....you have every right to be pissed! I wouldn't feel bad if I were you

October 14th, 2013, 08:32 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I think you are being super nice actually. Hugs Hun.

October 14th, 2013, 09:11 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm always afraid of this whenever I take pictures for someone. I went to photography school and do it some on the side right now, mostly just for friends. I know that I have "off" days and no amount of Photoshop can make up for that. I'm always afraid people are going to hate what I've done. So far no one has complained (knock on wood), but if they did I would totally offer to either give them ALL their money back or do a re-shoot. It sucks to pay for something and not get what you wanted/expected/paid for.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search