Huh...I wonder! Rotovirus?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By Madison.Hailey.Zack

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
WARNING! NOT A VACCINATION DEBATE!

I took Rory and Alex to the pedi last Wednesday to get Rory's 4 month check-up and Alex's flu shot. All went swimmingly and I'm very proud of my boys.

One of Rory's vax was the rotovirus one by mouth. I know that you're supposed to wash your hands and all that stuff, blah blah blah (though I should point out that i was not reminded by the staff nor was I given the info sheet about it this time).

Anyway, flash forward to Saturday night. Alex is awake and throwing up. On into the next day. By Sunday evening his fever was low and it was broken by Monday. Vomiting stopped well before then.

Today Toby is down and out and I'm expecting the same thing to happen to him.

I was flipping through these cloth diapering FB groups and they're talking about using disposables after doing the rotovirus (you don't need to, hot washes and detergent kills it). And it hit me. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED. I must have been lax in how I washed my hands or something. Not surprised about this really.

Oh well. Nothing to do about it. 'Cept give lots of water. Alex got 2 days of non-stop television, popsicles, and attention. Rory just got the vax for it so no worries there about him, lol.

So, ladies, as your babies get their rotovirus vax, remember to be THOROUGH in washing your hands and everything that your baby's poop may conceivably touch.

I could be wrong and this is an unrelated illness but it can't hurt to pass the warning on

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

October 16th, 2013, 09:06 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I hope everyone is feeling better now!

October 17th, 2013, 04:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thankfully DH never developed a fever last night and he seemed to be feeling better in the wee hours of the morning when he got up to change out Rory's milk bag.

Alex is doing great but only peed like 2 times yesterday. He goes to daycare today but I'll be sending a large sippy cup with him that he's to drink out of constantly.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

October 17th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The ped did not give us any warning. Good to know.

October 17th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
They tell you to use sposies after the rotavirus just because the oral vaccine causes yucky diarrhea, not because of live virus contamination issues... I think the vaccine virus is too attenuated to spread like that... That's why they don't warn you. He could have picked up a random virus at the Dr office pretty easily too.

October 17th, 2013, 10:10 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah Tristan had nasty diarrhea for a day after he had the VAX

October 18th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, Rory is sick now too. Ugh. Doc says it's a random virus. Good news is that Rory gained a pound in a week! He's 14lb and 8oz :-) 24.5cm in height :-) Haven't noticed any diarrhea.
navywifey2003 likes this.

October 18th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I have first hand experience with the rotavirus. Hailey got it when she was 4 months old (two weeks after getting the vaccine). She woke up fine that morning and I nursed her. Then about 10 minutes later she threw up every drop that was in her belly. She did this twice. About 10-15 minutes later she started burning up bad. We waited it out a little bit to see if the motrin (yes I know I gave it to soon, I wasn't thinking) would kick in. During this time she had diarrhea and blood in her poop. Thats when I knew something was wrong. We took her to the ER and it was confirmed she had the rotavirus. She was given an IV and was in the hospital for 5 days. During that time she would not eat and so I had to pump to keep my supply up. I was at her side all but maybe 45 minutes the whole 5 days she was in the hospital. It was one of the worst times in my life
My Hailey bug during her hospital stay

Last edited by Madison.Hailey.Zack; October 18th, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
October 18th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
poor baby!!!!! ^^ so scary. Rotavirus is not cool.

October 19th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Poor thing! As awful and harrowing as the sickness sounds I'm looking at the pictures with her IV. When Rory got his IV placed when he got his tube they had to stick him multiple times in both arms and legs (and then 2 days later do it again). I can't see a baby with an IV and not get tears in my eyes, for both mom and baby. Thank God she is doing better!

I was relieved to find out that the live vaccine exposure and all our illness were just an unlucky coincidence. Don't kick yourself about giving motrin too soon, EVERY parent wants to ease their baby's discomfort ASAP.

October 21st, 2013, 07:15 AM
She hated that IV board. It was so hard to watch her getting it. She was so blah that you could tell that she was not feeling well. Thank goodness she's been healthy ever since. I was so nervous about her getting the second dose and I'm nervous about Zack getting the vaccine all together. She's a thriving almost two year old now
October 21st, 2013, 06:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Because your little girl obviously had bad time of it are they thinking about delaying the vaccine until 6 months just in case?

October 22nd, 2013, 11:35 AM
We haven't spoken about it yet. We see a new doctor tomorrow because their one we always saw in the office left to work closer to home. This doctor is still in the same office. I'll bring it up tomorrow when we go in.

When she was due for the second dose they did call the state agency who oversees the vaccine cases see if they should hold off on giving her the second dose because of her hospital stay but they said they felt safe giving it to her still.
MerinSun likes this.
October 23rd, 2013, 04:39 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for this info. Leif just got it Monday. How long do you have to be super careful?
October 23rd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think up to 6 days but at least 3-4

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search