Giving up dairy

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2013, 05:38 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I suspected Henry had some sensitivities. I think he has mild reflux, but not enough to medicate. I noticed that if I ate ice cream at night, then he would be up with gas pain most of the night. Even without eating ice cream, he still seems uncomfortable with gas. So I'm going to just take the plunge and eliminate dairy altogether. Did you know that pop tarts and cereal bars have dairy? That's my go to breakfast food. Should be interesting and I might actually lose all the baby weight.
October 17th, 2013, 05:55 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Good luck Hun! I hope it works well for him!

October 17th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We gave up dairy about a month ago. Not because Finn is sensitive to it, but because DH and DD are both sensitive. DH is lactose intolerant, and DD is so congested that she can barely breathe and is always sniffling. Since we gave up dairy, DH doesn't have constant tummy-aches and DD is breathing clearly.

I admit, I haven't cut out every tiny little source of dairy...but the big ones like cheese, yogurt, and milk are gone and it's made a world of difference to my family. You would not believe how much I'm dying for some cheese though. That seems to be the hardest one for me to give up. But if they can't have it, I don't have it. It's easier on my family if I just don't have it in the house.

But since I'm the only one who drinks coffee, and I don't have any issues with dairy, I still put a little half & half in my coffee. I refuse to give that up.

October 17th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I put almond milk in my coffee this morning. So not what I'm used to. Heck I might end up giving up coffee now too.
October 17th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It is surprisingly common to have at least mild issues with dairy. The Standard American Diet is far far too high in processed dairy products. Like gluten, it is one of those things where you may or may not have a real problem, but if you cut it out, you end up cutting out a ton of processed products and junk foods, and feel better as a result just the act of paying more attention to what you are eating and its ingredients can have a huge impact.

Good luck with going no dairy! I have done it and it is definitely a way to eat more fiber and vitamins with less fat! Now I do still eat yogurt and goat dairy though. Just minimize my cow dairy that is not cultured like yogurt is. The probiotic component seems to make it much easier for me to digest.

October 17th, 2013, 10:19 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Good luck! You can do it!!

October 17th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
I put almond milk in my coffee this morning. So not what I'm used to. Heck I might end up giving up coffee now too.
I haven't tried it myself yet, but apparently cashew milk is a much better replacement for cream in coffee...almond milk and coconut milk just don't mix well with coffee for some reason. Cashew milk is much creamier.

Here's a good recipe...

How to Make Cashew Milk from Scratch | One Ingredient Chef

I'd lose my mind if I had to give up coffee...so, anything I can do to help a fellow coffee drinker

(I keep editing this to add more info, lol)

That website is actually a really great resource for dairy free cooking because it's all vegan recipes. I've tried the cauliflower "alfredo" and it's really yummy. We're not vegan here, but I've used quite a few of the recipes from that website and DH, who is a meat-&-potatoes kinda guy, enjoyed them. I call that a success.

Last edited by Joanne Nicole; October 17th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
October 17th, 2013, 02:36 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I eliminated dairy due to the same gas/tummy issues with Morgan. I ate Pop Tarts all along. I didn't see any dairy in the ingredients list for most of the fruit-flavored ones. Maybe it's hidden in the flavoring? Morgan didn't seem affected by it. I have started adding small amounts of dairy, and by small I mean not reading labels looking for hidden dairy ingredients. I'm not eating anything that has obvious dairy in it but I'm not searching for it either. So far, so good.

October 17th, 2013, 05:01 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I've thought about giving up dairy as well, Peyton is always snorting and mucus-y, but it's not effected her negatively, she's never been upset by it. Maybe one day, but I don't think I'm disciplined enough for it right now! When I started looking at labels, it amazed me what I read on the labels as *contains dairy* - like english muffins! That's a breakfast staple for me also!

The flavored creamers (coffee mate and I think international delight, as well) state dairy-free on the container

October 17th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Quote:
The flavored creamers (coffee mate and I think international delight, as well) state dairy-free on the container

But they're sooooooo bad for you....sugar and hydrogenated oils. Blech. I'd give up coffee before I drank that stuff.

October 18th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have to say giving up dairy has been a little easier than I thought long term.

BUT OMG CHEESE! I miss cheese so much. Everything else can be replace but there is nothing that compares to cheese.

Some pop tarts are safe. I eat them. I am mostly soy free so those have soy in them for me but some don't have milk.

I LOVE almond breeze almond milk iced coffees. I lived off starbucks during the few few weeks of school and now that I can't have it I was drinking more sodas but I finally found something I love.

I'm thinking of continuing this even after Corbin is done nursing. I love how healthier I am and all the weight I lost. It's amazing because I'm forced to make a healthy choice and not the junk.
October 18th, 2013, 06:15 AM
We had another brand of pop tarts in our pantry that did not have milk in them, so I was happy to eat those this morning. I have heard there is no good substitute for cheese. My friend's husband is vegan but she's not. She said she won't eat the cheese substitutes.

Does anyone have any recommendations of chain restaurants that offer a dairy free menu? We don't eat out a lot, but my parents brought us carry out last night. I ordered a grilled salmon thinking it would be the least likely thing to be cooked in butter. When I got it, pretty sure it had a lemon butter sauce on it even though the menu didn't specify. I guess I could just order salads with oil and vinegar
October 18th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know Subway is good and it is even easy to eat vegan there. But for average chain restaurants it is rough. They put tons of butter and salt in everything, that's how they make it taste so good

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search